This Gas May Erase Bad Memories

HardOCP News

[H] News
A gas that erases ALL memories? Sure, I'd believe that. A gas that erases only bad memories? I'm not buying it.

"In our study, we found that xenon gas has the capability of reducing memories of traumatic events," Edward G. Meloni, an assistant psychologist at the hospital and assistant professor at Harvard Medical School, said in a release. "It's an exciting breakthrough, as this has the potential to be a new treatment for individuals suffering from PTSD."

"In our study, we found that xenon gas has the capability of reducing memories of traumatic events," said Edward G. Meloni as he further added "or did it increase the memories... after huffing so many balloons of the stuff, I can't recall." as he slouched back in his chair and blew spit bubbles while staring up at the ceiling.

While this is likely decades from being approved for clinical treatment, if it even works for humans, I find some hope in this. I have a friend who suffers from PTSD and if something like this were to work, it would improve her quality of life greatly.

I was going to post something really.. really awesome.. but then I farted.. now I can't remember :eek:

200.gif
200.gif

I have liquid that can give you memories you'll never forget while also wiping all the memories from the night before.

Its called TEQUILA

From reading the article, it seems like you have to be on the gas, then have to remember the trauma you are trying to forget. The remembering "activates" the memory of that event, but the xenon gas prevents (or maybe even reduces) the strengthening of that memory of that remembered event.

So basically, as i understand from the article, you'd get gassed, then have to have a therapist make you relive the trauma you are trying to forget. Or you could skip the gas, and just use the therapist. Save the gas money for boozahol.... :D

It's not that the gas erases only bad memories, of course. Rather, it apparently acts like certain other known memory-altering drugs, which can be used to dampen targeted memories. Does xenon do a better job? Who knows. I do wish the article didn't act like nothing else along these lines exists.

Ever seen "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"?

Yes. One of Jim Carrey's movies that I actually liked. I may have to watch it again.

I have some bad memories, but those memories make me who I am right now. Take those away, and I might be some looney. Maybe those memories are keeping me sane. Or maybe they won't be conscience memories and since they are bad, they will make me unconsciously feel bad about certain things, maybe even become the Hulk or something. Don't mess with Gamma radiation. Otherwise, you might turn into a turtle with ninja like abilities. Damn, this is some good xenon.

There are drugs they can give you if they know they're going to cause you trauma, which is kind of scary. They do it for most surgeries now. There are some horror stories out there like hospital staff giving it to people, doing horribly painful things without pain killers, but the person doesn't remember it.

A co-worker says he doesn't care what they do to him as long as he doesn't remember. That's just insane to me. It still happens. You still suffer and scream in pain, but you just don't remember it.

Bad memories are critical for survival. They promote fear, fear in some cases is good. Like not putting your fingers into a cast iron fan.....

Yeah...that happened. Once.

You must not fear. Fear is the mind killer. Also, the spice must flow.

But seriously, you don't even need bad memories for fear. The unknown is usually far more frightening to the average person. Show a taser zapping to a guy whose been zapped, and he'll probably be like "meh". Show the same taser zapping to some isolated tribesmen deep in the rainforest, and bricks will be shat.

Show a taser zapping to a guy whose been zapped, and he'll probably be like "meh". Show the same taser zapping to some isolated tribesmen deep in the rainforest, and bricks will be shat.

You been watching too much Encino Man :p

They can't even cure the common cold,but they think they can manipulate something as intricate and complicated as the human mind. Good luck with that.

There are drugs they can give you if they know they're going to cause you trauma, which is kind of scary. They do it for most surgeries now. There are some horror stories out there like hospital staff giving it to people, doing horribly painful things without pain killers, but the person doesn't remember it.

A co-worker says he doesn't care what they do to him as long as he doesn't remember. That's just insane to me. It still happens. You still suffer and scream in pain, but you just don't remember it.

Your co-worker will care A LOT while it happens to him though.

I've been thinking about this with the concept of teleportation: If you could teleport people, you couldn't (with present understanding) teleport matter but only information. You can then recompile a person in another location. I've been humoring myself with the thought that teleporting would require effectively killing or disassembling the original copy causing horrible suffering, but the fresh teleport copy would know nothing of it and would think the teleporting is just a breeze. Teleporting would be therefore totally secret to protect the business.

For some reason, this thread topic reminds me of that quote from "The Matrix": "Do you think that's air that you're breathing?"

Wasn't this an episode of The Avengers. They kept zapping Mrs Peele and Steed, but it was only a temporary memory loss. If they've perfected a permanent solution, someone should tell Mother!!!! :eek::cool:

Back