L.A. School District Halts Contract For iPads

HardOCP News

[H] News
That controversial iPad program in Los Angeles has been scrapped. Did anyone think that this was a good idea in the fist place?

The suspension comes days after disclosures that the superintendent and his top deputy had especially close ties to executives of Apple, maker of the iPad, and Pearson, the company that is providing the curriculum on the devices. And an internal report that examined the technology effort showed major problems with the process and the implementation.

St. Paul, MN is going to go with iPads too...so sad :( It has shown time and time again that this shit don't work

I think that LA earlier this year altered the program so that there was choice for different kinds of devices beyond iPads. This article is saying they are now looking into acquiring 18,000 laptops.

I think iPads and tablets in general have a place in education, though not necessarily as the only computing devices that students use.

Guess kids will have to go back to snorting adderal of thier desk instead of those sweet ipads.
Sorry, I am grumpy today.

what a joke...didnt even wanna post a troll comment...but i did.

iPads will only prepare students for the unemployment line since the real world uses Windows based devices. While management is corrupt and incompetent the actual schools and students restore my faith showing sense in what works for them:

http://www.latimes.com/local/education/la-me-lausd-laptops-20140630-story.html

Two [schools] chose the Lenovo Yoga Touch, two the Microsoft Surface Pro 2 and the last, a Dell Latitude E7240. A few other campuses chose Chromebooks.

Our elementary school that my kids are in uses Google Chromebooks. All they required was school-wide wifi (which the school had to pay for and install). Google gave us the hardware and charging stations for free.

iPads will only prepare students for the unemployment line since the real world uses Windows based devices. While management is corrupt and incompetent the actual schools and students restore my faith showing sense in what works for them:

http://www.latimes.com/local/education/la-me-lausd-laptops-20140630-story.html

Pretty much. They should be buying Windows based desktops. Step into nearly any workplace and that's what you'll typically find. Desktops are also much less likely to be stolen than laptops.

Unfortunately text book paper is worth its weight in gold now a days. Fuck our flawed shitty educational system.

This is true. I live in Alberta, Canada, so this is specific to here, but most people don't realize that the school doesn't actually pay for textbooks. The government gives the school money and they spend 100% of it on teacher salary and building supplies (desks, shelves, etc), maintenance/utilities. That's it. The text books and everything else are paid for by the parents advisory council, which gets all it's money from fundraising. Textbooks have an enormous cost. Replacing them with a digital device could save a lot of money in the long run.

This is true. I live in Alberta, Canada, so this is specific to here, but most people don't realize that the school doesn't actually pay for textbooks. The government gives the school money and they spend 100% of it on teacher salary and building supplies (desks, shelves, etc), maintenance/utilities. That's it. The text books and everything else are paid for by the parents advisory council, which gets all it's money from fundraising. Textbooks have an enormous cost. Replacing them with a digital device could save a lot of money in the long run.

Except digital publications of text books are absolutely garbage.

Technical books from Amazon Kindle Edition are ALWAYS missing important characters. I found a programming book that always left off * characters which is pretty damned important when trying to teach someone about pointers or hell even multiplication in programming. That is a common theme with technical books digital distribution which makes them absolutely useless. not to mention the copy protection on them is absurd and makes it somewhat downright unusable. They need to just start distributing PDFs, but ive even found PDF copies of tech books that lack characters.

Except digital publications of text books are absolutely garbage.

Technical books from Amazon Kindle Edition are ALWAYS missing important characters. I found a programming book that always left off * characters which is pretty damned important when trying to teach someone about pointers or hell even multiplication in programming. That is a common theme with technical books digital distribution which makes them absolutely useless. not to mention the copy protection on them is absurd and makes it somewhat downright unusable. They need to just start distributing PDFs, but ive even found PDF copies of tech books that lack characters.

True enough, probably why we still buy text books. The Chromebooks we have supplement them. The technology is there to replace textbooks, but the content definitely isn't.

True enough, probably why we still buy text books. The Chromebooks we have supplement them. The technology is there to replace textbooks, but the content definitely isn't.

The issue the the "value" of text books. They charge soooo much money for these books they dont want to even risk people getting them illegally. People still do it, people will convert hard text books to PDF but it takes a TON of effort so its not as widespread as if they were to just distribute PDFs

Ipads are just media devices, my nephew tells me how all they use them for at school is for facebook, web surfing and gaming.

Really how dumb are people running this shit, next to no company uses anything but windows products in the workplace. Hell even editors uses windows PC now over mac's.

iPads... ffft. We had iSlates in grade one and two back in the sixties. They were a lot more robust and didn't need batteries.

Off with their heads.
I wish.

This goes hand in hand with CA state senator Ben Hueso voting against Uber and being in bed with the taxi companies.

Then you have @#%^ing Jerry "bullet train" Brown telling all of Mexico "you are welcome" to live in California. Come on up (and vote for me)!

This state's politicians are scum.

I think deal was what 30,000 ipads( likely ipad2 at best could even be ipad 1's) for 30,000,000$. Even assuming they are ipad2's they are worth like what 3-400$ being 3 years old. I know people will hit on well gotta pay for software and support but how does a school district spend 1000$ per ipad? Someone got a kick back on that deal.

Back