External HDD works on USB 2.0 port but not on 3.0

Gigantism

Gawd
Hello,

I’m having a problem and I hope I can get some help here.

I recently got an external HDD USB 3.0.

When I plug it on a USB 3.0 port on my computer, it isn’t being detected by windows 8.1.
Disk management doesn’t see it either.
My bios detects it as a USB hard drive after I updated it.

The thing is, my HDD is detected without any problem by Windows when it is plugged on a USB 2.0 port.

I know my USB 3.0 work fine as they detect USB keys and such.

I looked online, did all the tricks with power management and what not, but to no avail.

Now, my HDD works on USB 2.0 so I can still use it, but I was looking forward to USB 3.0 speed especially since this is a HDD for backing up pictures and music and stuff…

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My hardware details are in my sig. Thanks!

Do you have another USB 3.0 drive you can plug into that USB3 port?

We have had some cases here at work where the USB 3 driver did not function correctly and would not recognize USB3 devices. It would work fine at 2.0, but not 3.

I have a USB key which is 3.0 and it works fine on my 3.0 ports.
That the only 3.0 device I could test my ports with at the moment...

What happens when you plug a USB 2.0 drive into the USB 3.0 port? Even using a USB 2.0 cable on the USB 3.0 drive should force it to run in USB 2.0 mode. If the drive works that way, I'd say the problem is either the driver software or the USB 3.0 cable's extra pins not making contact at the USB 3.0 port side.

I've had no problems getting external drives to work in USB 3.0 mode when the interface used a chipset from Prolific (WD, Seagate) or Genesis Logic.

USB3 sux. they made it on purpose so that they could force you to buy DRM'd USB3 hardware

:D

What happens when you plug a USB 2.0 drive into the USB 3.0 port? Even using a USB 2.0 cable on the USB 3.0 drive should force it to run in USB 2.0 mode. If the drive works that way, I'd say the problem is either the driver software or the USB 3.0 cable's extra pins not making contact at the USB 3.0 port side.

I've had no problems getting external drives to work in USB 3.0 mode when the interface used a chipset from Prolific (WD, Seagate) or Genesis Logic.

When I plug in a USB 2.0 device into a 3.0 port, it works perfectly.
The said drive doesn't not work at all in a USB 3.0 port. It isn't even recognized.
It works fine on a 2.0 port though.

I've read things about certain chipsets. How did you fix your chipset from Prolific problems?

So I actually had an problem exactly like this. It was a seagate 5tb external drive. It would work on my 2.0 ports but on the 3.0 ports it would just lock up as soon as I plugged it in.

I was able to narrow it down to the motherboard. Gigabyte built the mobo with two internal usb 3.0 hubs. All the 3.0 ports except 2 ran off those hubs. Once I plugged the drive into the ports that don't run off the hubs it worked fine. Something about the hubs and the drive were not compatible.

Try all your 3.0 ports, could be the same thing going on here, or could be a bad enclosure.

What's the mobo and drive?

It's probably the driver. Had issues with USB 3.0 when I had the AW17. External WD drives worked fine in USB 2.0 mode but didn't work in USB 3.0 mode. I really can't remember which driver fixed it (happened early last year)The next few AW17s worked without issues though, so I'm guessing they got that driver sorted out for that.

It's probably the driver. Had issues with USB 3.0 when I had the AW17. External WD drives worked fine in USB 2.0 mode but didn't work in USB 3.0 mode. I really can't remember which driver fixed it (happened early last year)The next few AW17s worked without issues though, so I'm guessing they got that driver sorted out for that.

Same, I have had to remove the 3.0 extensible host and reboot on three completely different 8.1 machines. Two of them would cap transfers at 2.0 speeds and one flat out didnt work. Give that a shot before narrowing it to hardware.

So I actually had an problem exactly like this. It was a seagate 5tb external drive. It would work on my 2.0 ports but on the 3.0 ports it would just lock up as soon as I plugged it in.

I was able to narrow it down to the motherboard. Gigabyte built the mobo with two internal usb 3.0 hubs. All the 3.0 ports except 2 ran off those hubs. Once I plugged the drive into the ports that don't run off the hubs it worked fine. Something about the hubs and the drive were not compatible.

Try all your 3.0 ports, could be the same thing going on here, or could be a bad enclosure.

What's the mobo and drive?

You sir, are the man!
Thank you :)

Back