Bizarre Outlook issue..

SSpiro

Limp Gawd
I booted up the laptop one morning and opened outlook, and said my OST (data file) was damaged. Ran the repair tool, said its repaired. Everything works, except the calendar. I can edit calendar, but i cant dismiss any events, i get no event alerts, and i can't sync calendar to my phone (via gsyncit).

My thought is to uninstall, and reinstall.. will i lose any of my unsynced calendar events, or are they stored on the exchange server? i cant tell where they are stored. Or, is there a way to create a new data file JUST for the calendar?

What would you do? I need my calendar, i live and die by that thing.

I also live and die with Outlook. I keep a Hotmail account just for sync purposes. If you add a Hotmail or windows live account and use it as your default calender and contacts it will sync everything to the web. This way when Outlook takes a crap you can just delete your profile from control panel and start over and not lose anything. If you are using Outlook 2010 or earlier you will need the Hotmail connector in order to get your account setup. Good luck.

I've just done an un-install/re-install of Outlook 2003 for a friend and it kept every last setting including email addresses and passwords.

It was actually an accident uninstalling, I wanted to do a repair and followed MS's instructions to the letter, trusting the option "change" would appear, but it went straight into un-installing.
My heart sank but luckily it ended ok.

If your pst file has hit 4GB, thats the limit.
Run the Compact feature to shrink it.
It took about 14hrs to finish compacting my friends on a 1TB 7200rpm drive from 3.7GB to around 1GB.
The limit was hard drive speed and the amount of data we had deleted, not CPU or memory.
FYI

I also live and die with Outlook. I keep a Hotmail account just for sync purposes. If you add a Hotmail or windows live account and use it as your default calender and contacts it will sync everything to the web. This way when Outlook takes a crap you can just delete your profile from control panel and start over and not lose anything. If you are using Outlook 2010 or earlier you will need the Hotmail connector in order to get your account setup. Good luck.

I use an android phone - Can i sync from hotmail to gmail?

I also use an Android phone. You can use your hotmail account on your phone also. You just have to set your default calendar as your hotmail calendar. Also when you add a new contact make sure to add it to the hotmail account.

Before you uninstall and reinstall, retool it

Start / Run
Outlook.exe /cleanprofile

Re-setup outlook and try again.

Back