Here's what I am thinking of building.

- Intel i7-4770
- MSI-Z87 Motherboard
- Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz PC3
- NVIDIA GTX 780 384 bit DDR 5
- 1 TB WD Hard Drive
- 750 W Hunt Power

Do I really need an SSD for windows??

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S. my plan is to connect this to my Samsung Bravia 32 inch LED Tv.

I believe you should post this in the general hardware tab and follow the sticky guidelines they provide to get the best feedback regarding your build. Best of luck :)

If you're going to spend that kind of money, why not get Z97 and 4790?

Yes, you really need SSD for Windows.

At this point, I'd wait and see what happens with GTX 800 series before I dumped a lot of money in a 780.

If I could make a suggestion - ask yourself if you plan on upgrading your system in the near future.

Why do I ask - I've a 750W PSU which was more than adequate when I built my system in Jan 2013 with a single 7950. I've since moved on to 7950 CF and while I still have the headroom I need, if I went for a 290 and a 290CF at some point, my 750W PSU would no longer be adequate.

SSD is very good, but is not like a must-have imho - mind you, it is very good to have but if you're building on a budget you may be able to skip this.

If I could make a suggestion - ask yourself if you plan on upgrading your system in the near future.

Why do I ask - I've a 750W PSU which was more than adequate when I built my system in Jan 2013 with a single 7950. I've since moved on to 7950 CF and while I still have the headroom I need, if I went for a 290 and a 290CF at some point, my 750W PSU would no longer be adequate.

SSD is very good, but is not like a must-have imho - mind you, it is very good to have but if you're building on a budget you may be able to skip this.

That's all nice and good, but with the items he already has in his list, there's no excuse for not budgeting in an SSD of some kind. Not "necessary" but I'd buy a SSD over a higher end PSU. No reason to not use an SSD.

Dunno. SSD is one of those things that, once you use one, you just don't go back to spindle as a primary drive. The difference is tremendous and once you're used to it, going to spindle only is such a regression.

I'd use a spindle drive as a data/media storage drive but aside from that, SSD all the way. Using a spindle drive, even a fast one (7200-10000rpm) is just painful as a boot device. I'd consider a SSD a must have, they're not at all expensive these days. If anything buy a cheaper spindle drive for media/storage and get a 256GB SSD for booting/apps/etc. Or as an alternative you can get a small capacity SSD and use intel RST SSD caching to cache the spindle HD on the SSD.

No, you don't need a SSD. I was a very late adopter. The thrill of speedy boot times means nothing to me. I left my PC on 24/7, and when I did turn it off, I usually hibernated.

Its worth it to get a 256gb SSD just for Windows and your base programs, then toss in a big spinner to load your games and media on.
The speed your programs load definitely make for a much more snappy experience. I can't even stand to use a PC without a SSD anymore, even with killer system specs they just FEEL so much more sluggish.
Might want to wait a month and snag a 880 instead of a 780 or stick with the 780 if the prices drop, no reason to get buyer's remorse that you could have got a better card cheaper or saved $200 on the card you wanted.

No, you don't need a SSD. I was a very late adopter. The thrill of speedy boot times means nothing to me. I left my PC on 24/7, and when I did turn it off, I usually hibernated.

I don't know about you but I do a lot more than booting with my SSD. If you get a 256GB SSD you can throw some games on there in addition to your base applications, and the apps I use regularly benefit a great deal from SSD speeds. You do more than booting from SSD. At least I do, and I think most people do.

But if you feel comfortable with spindle, do whatever you wanna do. I'd also wait a month on the GPU, OP, newer faster cards are coming in september apparently.

Last edited:
SSDs are fucking awesome, once you get one you will never want to go back. Well worth the price of admission. I held off early on and figured whatever I don't need that shit I just sleep the machine and I can deal with a few more seconds of load times. I later impulse bought one on sale and found out how wrong I was.

OS boots in seconds, everything instantly responsive. I have a 120gb that I keep Windows and my most used games on.

---I am undecided about the GPU.
The performance gap between a GTX 780 and R9290 seems to be non-existent to actually make a difference in a game.

---Plus I stumbled onto EVGA's Super Clocked GTX780 which is almost equal to Titan's Performance. B|

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/ ... ocked-acx/

So now I am thinking that if I am shelling out a massive sum on a GTX780, might as well add a few bucks and get the super clocked Titan Equivalent.

---And also the GTX 880 is rumored to be coming out. What if that causes a significant price drop in the 780??
P.S. I am in Kuwait. The Price Drop may not immediately affect here.

So many choices. :O :O :O :O

Back