Electronic Art's $1 Billion DLC Goal

HardOCP News

[H] News
Holy (cash) cow, did he just say EA was planning on making "stadiums full of money" off DLC this year? :eek:

A story on Bloomberg about the stadiums full of money EA expects to earn from the new Madden game describes the publisher's lofty general goals for add-on content, saying they hope to reach the one billion dollar mark in DLC sales this year.

Why not? I mean the idiots..err I mean fans of Madden gladly pay $60 a year for what would be a $10 expansion in any other game.Why wouldn't they gobble this garbage up?

hCAEE5C3D

Yup, I see my plan of not buying any EA game is still in effect.

Stopped buying EA games years ago and with this in play, I will keep up that pattern.

The dlc stuff is getting out of hand. They want you to play like 140 bucks for a 50 dollar game such as BF4. Hell I'm mad about forza5 and it's 10 dollar car packs. Just bs. I can see having little stuff like out fits and crap but don't make me buy car packs or this or that so I can play the game I already paid for once .

The day before Madden launched, I was watching someone play Madden 15 on Twitch. The guy bought an $80 pack of DLC and ripped through the player pack in no time at all. The guy even was saying while he purchased the DLC that he thought people would buy these things like crazy. While I personally bought the game just waiting for launch, I thought to myself, this is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Apparently these packs give you a chance at creating some super team of players, the cards randomly give you any player in the league. They rank these players silver gold and elite, the whole point in my saying this is... The guy spent $80 and didn't even get ONE elite player, I saw repeat players of crap that seemed like second string players. So basically someone out there is going to spend thousands of dollars to try and create a super team... I'm willing to bet they hit this $1B in DLC, really sad, this is the shittiest way to DLC I've ever seen but I guess from a business perspective, EA needs to milk this exclusivity with the NFL as much as they can so they have money to out-bid for an extension of their NFL exclusivity.

For what it's worth as most here don't seem to play the game due to very good reasons, I just love football a lot and buy a Madden game every few years. I have to say this is the best NFL game I've ever played. The improved defense makes playing defense fun. I sure hope this DLC thing falls flat in EA's face, but I'm doubting such a pleasant thing will happen.

As if I needed another reason besides my hatred for organized sports to not buy a game like this.... GJ EA, now I won't even buy crappy Madden games for gifts for the sports nut jobs I know.😂

So basically the next Mass Effect, you will need to buy each character, parts of the story line and each weapon. The game includes: the engine. **Textures, sound packs and forced intro (required to run the game) are sold separately.

Stopped buying EA games years ago and with this in play, I will keep up that pattern.
Problem is, they are big enough to buy many of the franchises you may enjoy. Its like boycotting HBO, which is all fine and good until Game of Thrones comes on and you bend over and accept it, lol!

Seeing as people pay for map packs(haha what!? These were profitable?) I see this working.

Essentially we all see this is where gaming is going. Release the product at 70% complete and then sell the other 30% off as DLC's in which add up to the same price as the game you just paid for.

DLC.jpeg

I'm glad I don't like sports games. Sheesh. My EA ban is still in place even though titanfall still looks tempting from time to time.

Thanks for letting me know your plans EA, I plan to buy zero of your games for at least the next three years now

*golf clap* Bravo

And yet ANOTHER good reason to keep my hate for EA, Origin, and anything else that sends those pricks a dime.

Incorrect. Stupid gamers with too much money are the ones ruining gaming. Kind of ironic but yeah. This business model succeeds because people actually buy in.

-Dill

True... People are dumb... And the dumb ones seem to be the ones with money to spare.

Thanks for letting me know your plans EA, I plan to buy zero of your games for at least the next three years now

*golf clap* Bravo

Yup. If that's the plan, it really shows that they put out games that are incomplete then sell the DLC for extra profits. I don't mind DLC, but it better be way after it was released and be worth it. Creating a game and having day one (or within 6 months) DLC is a joke. Some games release DLC for *gasp* FREE! Just an extra bonus for buying the game. Just a part of the update.

When EA says stuff like this.... It alienates me from them. I don't want to buy games from them anymore. I miss the days before when companies would do good for the gamer to build some character and you wanted to buy a game from them because they were a good company putting out good games.

People have no problem throwing away a few bucks.
why not get rich off of it.

You are a bad person and should feel bad. Even ignoring the financial motivations, DLC fragments communities and kills immersion in game. No one wants to read/hear an NPC suddenly drop a 4th wall breaking "Ahhh Hero, You can access this dungeon by CLICKING THIS LINK TO THE LIVE STORE AND BUYING THE EXTRA CASTLE DLC".

You are a bad person and should feel bad. Even ignoring the financial motivations, DLC fragments communities and kills immersion in game.

Ok. I admit that I bought Titanfall DLC. Went to play online. I had a guy on my team but it couldn't find anyone else for an opposing team. Had to play with non-DLC maps to get anyone to play multiplayer with. The fragmentation of communities is very real. Lots of people play the base game. Always someone to play with. DLC is less. But, those with DLC still play with the base pack because of more people... :/

This reminds me of how car manufacturers once were and some still do. They offer the base model and once you start adding all the options you end up at double the price.

Last EA game I recall buying was sports car GT for 95/98!
Great game, wish they would reboot/refresh some of the classics for today's systems.

Back