Microsoft Technology Hits The High Seas With Royal Caribbean International

HardOCP News

[H] News
Royal Caribbean Cruises International is providing its 40,000 crew members with Windows 8.1 tablets. Crew members of Royal Caribbean’s newest ship, Quantum of the Seas, will be the first to receive the 8-inch Windows-based tablets built by HEXA for the cruise line. The tablets will feature services such as Bing, Skype, Office 365 and OneDrive. Rollout will begin in October and is expected to be completed by the end of December with every shipboard employee in the Royal Caribbean fleet receiving a tablet.

LOL Bing is a disservice not a service. Also the usability of Office365 on a tablet is questionable.

It'll make a nice toy for the few minutes it's not infected.

LOL Bing is a disservice not a service. Also the usability of Office365 on a tablet is questionable.

It'll make a nice toy for the few minutes it's not infected.

LOL! I've been using an 8" Windows 8.1 tablet since last October, even got one for my wife for Christmas and she loves it. She's not at all tech savvy and hasn't had any big issues being able to use it. Zero issues with viruses. We generally do all of web surfing with the modern browser which is much more difficult to attack than the desktop version.

Office 2013 is mostly touch enabled, there are parts of most of the programs that still aren't. OneNote is the exception, it's a great example of a desktop app that adjusts well to both touch and pen and keyboard and mouse input.

i see at least 20,000 of them going on ebay with in a year

The state of the app store makes me want to throw myself overboard.

You expect fluff, pro-MS propaganda from sites like Neowin, but its a little surprising from [H], I"ll be honest. Some company installing a bunch of windows tablets isn't news.

Some MS cheerleader sites are erroneously reporting that they're Surface tablets as well, that's just not the case.

This is a really nice treat for the crew members. They are out at sea for several months at a time and don't get to see their significant others and children. Giving them the tablets to use Skype and any other video messaging service to communicate with their loved ones is always a good thing. Many of the crew members are from other small countries so they'll be quite appreciative. Being at sea for 6 months at a time is pretty damn tough.

Back