Microsoft Looks to Reduce Cloud Lag Effect on Gaming

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Cloud Gaming is back in the news with the release of a paper from Microsoft this week talking about DeLorean. We'll let MS define it in their own words. Alas, no mention of a flux capacitor.

In this paper, we present DeLorean, a speculative execution system for mobile cloud gaming that is able to mask up to 250ms of network latency. DeLorean produces speculative rendered frames of future possible outcomes, delivering them to the client one entire RTT ahead of time; clients perceive no latency. To achieve this, DeLorean combines: 1) future input prediction; 2) state space subsampling and time shifting; 3) misprediction compensation; and 4) bandwidth compression.

Ran on a hefty local server with four emulated connected clients from inside of its very self. The same kind of testing that ran for GTA Online.

They have a lot of good ideas presented but they need to be proven wide and games need to carry alternatives for when things go wrong or offline.

There are two ways to reduce the lag and both work better than any of that ever will.

1)
blank_cds_300.jpg

2) Install the damn game because having everything in the cloud is retarded. For crying out loud this isn't 1995 anymore where hard drive space is a problem. Hell my Phone has more unused storage than my entire computer did until at least 1997.

Is this how they might fix the xbox one in a few years?

this sounds like they're guessing what the player is going to do next.

it would work for games with few controls, but if you can do a lot of actions like move left,right.straight,back. scope in, fire, grenade

it would just be too much "guessing"

Cloud gaming is just retarded. Exactly what Johntron thinks, even though he got a lot of undeserved flak for the comment.

tumblr_inline_n9slpqh1Py1r1namd.png

When this baby hits 88jiggabits/sec, you're gonna see some serious shit.

I'd be worried if the system totally misinterprets what I wanted to do next if I was a competitive gamer. They have no tolerance for this sort of thing whatsoever.

So their solution to network lag is to use way more bandwidth by instead of sending one, sending a bunch of pre-rendered frames to the client ahead of time?
Yeah, I can't possibly see how this can go wrong. I mean, netflix worked so well in prime-time with their central OpenConnect servers.
I wonder how much Verizon/TWC/Comcast/ect will charge MS to install a render farm in their interconnect hubs.

I'd be worried if the system totally misinterprets what I wanted to do next if I was a competitive gamer. They have no tolerance for this sort of thing whatsoever.

But think of how great it would be for the noobs. They try to do something unexpectedly stupid and the game chokes.

I can kind of see doing data off the cloud if you don't value privacy and reliable access.

But running programs off the cloud, sheesh PC's exist because the mainframe model was a disaster.

Hope this is not part of Windows 9.

They will accomplish this by offloading some of the work onto the client.

But what about the aimbots and wall hacks? WON'T ANYONE THINK OF THE AIMBOTS AND WALL HACKS?

Using the word "retarted" is pretty rude, especially to Fruit Tarts.
You could just switch it out for another term but it's used in slang to mean what it means for a reason.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, IT IS NOT A GOD DAM BUNNY SO STOP CALLING EVERYTHING A BUNNY CARL! Fuckin retard!

able to mask up to 250ms of network latency.
I call bullshit.
We can't even game online worth a darn once we start getting to far over 30ms.
I've tried to game at 250ms and it was like watching a slide show so unless the game is playing itself for us, not happening.

I call bullshit.
I've tried to game at 250ms and it was like watching a slide show so unless the game is playing itself for us, not happening.

We go dangerously close to Lunar level data transmission lag at that point.

We go dangerously close to Lunar level data transmission lag at that point.

Or trying to game over a Sprint 4g LTE connection because Time F#cking Warner is down again because a thunder clap had enough force to sway a cable a little for far to one side and something snapped in it because they refuse to upgrade their infrastructure while making hundreds of millions in profits while upping our bills every single month, including those while on "promotion."

I call bullshit.
Depends on how the game is coded, if everyone is set to the same pooling rate it's hardly the jumpy mess that you get in FPS games, instead you get a controllable delay like you had with SC1(pre chaos launcher), playable but not snappy.

Depends on how the game is coded, if everyone is set to the same pooling rate it's hardly the jumpy mess that you get in FPS games, instead you get a controllable delay like you had with SC1(pre chaos launcher), playable but not snappy.

Indeed. If said game is encoded for this kind of play it could actually help. But that said no amount of software trickery is going to make up for a poor infrastructure.

I read an article recently stating that it would cost around $87 Billion dollars to lay enough fiber ( that's not even all over the lower 48 but the most heavily traffic'd areas) to make a network with low enough latency to make cloud gaming really viable.

Even then though it still doesn't take account of people who are more sensitive to input latency and any competitive play is pretty much not doable unless its a non-twitch game.

When the game is only running at 20fps on the xbone anyways; how are you to even tell whats fps lag and actual latency?

Back