Help me choose @1440p ASUS PB278Q vs. QNIX QX2710

ninjacore

Gawd
Finally upgrading to a 2560x1440 display. I've been looking into the Korean displays for several days and amongst them, I think I've settled on the qnix qx2710. It's the one with only DVI-D input and is supposed to be a good overclocker. I can get it for $280-290 on eBay (for those who have purchased this one, will I also pay customs fees if shipped to the US?).

My other option is a used ASUS pb278q for $360 which "may" (?) have 1-3 bad pixels. I read that this one also has the ability to overclock (not as high of a ceiling).

I do like the additional video inputs on the ASUS as I'd like the ability to connect my work laptop to it when necessary (DP out, which I convert to HDMI).

Primarily, this is for gaming, however, so if I only were able to do DVI to my desktop, it's not a huge loss.

I'd like some opinions on which option seems like the better one.

Thank you!

Having more or less settled on a Korean display, I've added a couple others from which I'm trying to choose:

Yamakasi Catleap Q270SE (S-IPS, glossy(?), no speakers) - $270 (seller: lovelypeople)
LINK

QNIX QX2710 (PLS, matte, speakers) - $290 (seller: gmarketstore)
LINK

Crossover 27QW (AH-IPS, glossy(?), speakers) - $290 (seller: green-sum)
LINK

"Pixel Perfect" Q270SE (same as #1) (S-IPS, glossy(?), no speakers) - $295 (seller:bigclothcraft)
LINK

Speakers aren't a must. I have some desktop speakers for those times I'm not suing headphones, but the built-ins are a bit easier.

I don't know where I come down on the glossy vs. matte debate. I have a large window (with blinds) near my PC, so I'm obviously concerned about reflections (which I know would annoy me), but I also saw a post somewhere where the matte film really seemed to be making the image look pretty ugly in comparison to glossy.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You want a glossy Yamakasi Catleap or matte single input non-SE edition (the SE editions have worse quality control) Qnix QX2710 or X-Star DP2710. The 1440p Korean AH-IPS panels use Plasma Deposition Coating which makes blacks look grey and they can not overclock. Everything one needs to know about 1440p monitors can be found here. Multi-input 1440p monitors can not overclock without dropping frames=laggy/stuterrery performance and the PB278Q uses LED PWM Dimming (Side Effects).

Get yourself a Catleap if you like Glossy or a QX2710 pixel perfect model with ONLY the dvi-d input

Thanks both of you. I've found many of your reviews very helpful, NCX! Sounds like the qnix is the way to go.

Last edited:
Received my qnix today. Seller forgot to include the power cable. Anyone know if I can use another similar power cable (has the inline converter). The one I have outputs 12V 3A. The back of the monitor says 12V 5A. No go?

It's been a while, but I think you need an adapter of equal voltage and equal or higher amperage. That one won't supply enough juice at its voltage rating.

The default power supply is fine, use a regular power cord like this one.

The problem is, the seller forgot to include the power supply (and the cable you linked). I have a spare which seems to be of the appropriate type, but it is only rated at 3A.

This is actually the exact one I have...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ITE-NU40-21...=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item41866c0bb4

It looks like it may have been from an external HDD according to this thread?

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=190370

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Why not just contact the seller and see if they can send you an adapter first? It's a bit of a shot in the dark but no point paying for one if they can send you one.

Yep, already did that. Waiting to hear back. Just wondering if the one I have now will work temporarily until he sends the real one. I'm fine waiting if it might damage the monitor.

Read a few posts up :) I haven't even turned it on yet :(

It looks great on my desk, though lol

I am planning on posting more info when I do get the power cable and get around to forming initial impressions.

That sucks about the seller "forgetting" to include a power cable. :( I thought playing the lottery with these Korean Ebay sellers meant on what quality panel you'd get, in terms of BLB, dead pixels, etc. But now they're leaving out necessary parts such as the power cord! :eek: :mad:

Yet another reason why I shy away from buying from them. I hear too many bad stories with them, despite their misleading 99% feedback rating.

Not that I dispute that buying a Korean display is akin to the lottery, but mine actually didn't even come from Korea. Sorry if I glazed over that or forgot to mention it entirely :)

I grabbed a used one. Guaranteed me (well, supposedly) a pixel perfect display with no issues. I guess that didn't save me from the seller forgetting a crucial part... I did only pay $200, so I don't have too much to complain about. I think it was an honest mistake, just annoying that I have to wait that much longer to power thing beast up.

Anyone have an informed opinion on whether it'd be dangerous to use this 3A adapter?

Don't use that 3A adapter. It won't send enough power.

For $200, you have some cash to spare for the correct one.

Not that I dispute that buying a Korean display is akin to the lottery, but mine actually didn't even come from Korea. Sorry if I glazed over that or forgot to mention it entirely :)

I grabbed a used one. Guaranteed me (well, supposedly) a pixel perfect display with no issues. I guess that didn't save me from the seller forgetting a crucial part... I did only pay $200, so I don't have too much to complain about. I think it was an honest mistake, just annoying that I have to wait that much longer to power thing beast up.

Anyone have an informed opinion on whether it'd be dangerous to use this 3A adapter?
Oh, that makes sense on why the power cable was left out. If it was brand new, I would've been skeptical on how the seller could've left it out. Hopefully once you do get a power cable, your monitor will work as advertised and not have any dead pixels. Good luck.

BTW, for those who are shy about buying a Korean monitor from Ebay like I am, there are options like Overlord Computing and http://www.ipsledmonitors.com/, which basically sell Korean monitors from the USA, which in theory means better customer service.

That US reseller doesn't look like too bad of an option. Not too much more than ebay. Not sure what the failure rate is on the monitors, but I have read that sending them back is quite the pain.

Got my QX2710 all setup today. Overclocked to 120Hz without issue, but I couldn't tell the difference between that and 96Hz, so I stuck with the latter.

Overall, very satisfied with the purchase :)

Finally upgrading to a 2560x1440 display. I've been looking into the Korean displays for several days and amongst them, I think I've settled on the qnix qx2710. It's the one with only DVI-D input and is supposed to be a good overclocker. I can get it for $280-290 on eBay (for those who have purchased this one, will I also pay customs fees if shipped to the US?).

My other option is a used ASUS pb278q for $360 which "may" (?) have 1-3 bad pixels. I read that this one also has the ability to overclock (not as high of a ceiling).

I do like the additional video inputs on the ASUS as I'd like the ability to connect my work laptop to it when necessary (DP out, which I convert to HDMI).

Primarily, this is for gaming, however, so if I only were able to do DVI to my desktop, it's not a huge loss.

I'd like some opinions on which option seems like the better one.

Thank you!

I have the Asus PB278Q and it does not overclock. You can set it to 85Hz just fine but it will fail frame skipping tests at any frequency above 60Hz.

Hi guys, I am in the same situation as you guys. I can get my hands on a new Qnix for 270-$27.
But there is a guy selling a used ASUS PB278q for $280 shipped. with 1 year warranty.

So let me know very soon guys I am in a tough decision. I love how the Asus looks and personally have a Pro art 24inch 1080p monitor. But the Qnix does overclock and people say so much good on the screen. Let me know guys.

Thanks.

Hi guys, I am in the same situation as you guys. I can get my hands on a new Qnix for 270-$27.
But there is a guy selling a used ASUS PB278q for $280 shipped. with 1 year warranty.

So let me know very soon guys I am in a tough decision. I love how the Asus looks and personally have a Pro art 24inch 1080p monitor. But the Qnix does overclock and people say so much good on the screen. Let me know guys.

Thanks.

The QNIX CAN be a good screen, but they are likely to have flaws like backlightbleed, banding and there's gamma shift when overclocking. For the price i would go with the ASUS
(i have a qnix 2710 and a friend the Asus PB278Q, for the normal retail price of the ASUS i wouldn't recommend it, but you got a great offer, take it)

At current prices, I would not recommend a Qnix unless you really need to overclock. Even if your panel ends up fine (gl if it doesn't), everything else about it is trash. Squaretrade warranty is also practically required. IMO the better stand and bezel alone (also far less likelihood for backlight bleed, though that can be fixed) are worth it.

Also this is a very old thread.

Back