Android tablet or Chrombook ?

c0re

Limp Gawd
Looking for an Android tablet, 8" screen or bigger or possibly a chromebook, basically to do day to day stuff and be used a htpc in some sort.

Have tried a windows tablet, which was ok, but the virtual keyboard never worked right and windows 8.1 is just too annoying to say the least.

Also looked at the Nexus 7, which is great, but the screen for me is too small.

Does anyone have any preference in a decent Android tablet or maybe a chromebook.

Amazon has these generic tablets:

http://www.amazon.com/Contixo-Android-Bluetooth-Pre-installed-Supported/dp/B00JUZY33Q/

and

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Touch-A1X-Pre-installed-TabletExpress/dp/B00LM5WU96/

both come with KitKat, but have read these low-end tablets, the touchscreen is very flaky.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've used a Nexus 7 (2012/2013), Nexus 10, and a Galaxy Tab 3 7".

I got rid of them, and am on an Acer C720 Chromebook. Faster, great battery life, and more useful to me for my day to day stuff than the tablets were, and works better with web pages. There are few things that I would be better off with a tablet for.

But, that's just me.

I like Chromebooks but they're still too heavy for my messenger bag, so I'm sticking with my Tab S.

I agree, Nexus 7 is amazing hardware but screen is too small for typing and day-to-day work. It depends how good your eyes are. But anything over 7" is not pocketable. It even feels strange using Nexus7 as a VOIP phone. There's Nexus 10 and ipads, or a mini-laptop.

There are a lot of very good refurbished tablets out there especially over the holiday. I bought a Chromebook and played around with it some before giving it to a nephew.

If you want to essentially lock yourself into a Chrome browser and need a keyboard, go for it. However, it is much heavier than a tablet, so if you are into mostly consuming content with a little typing, a tablet would be better.

Back