Any way to update a Samsung SSD firmware via external enclosure?

burningrave101

[H]F Junkie
I would like to update my Samsung 840 EVO that I'm using in my PS4 to the latest firmware however I'm using a Late '13 model Apple iMac now with no way of connecting it to a SATA port. Is there any way to run the firmware update over something externally using a Windows install on my iMac or am I just out of luck until I migrate back to a PC?

No, the Samsung utility will not work through any USB/etc bridge chips, must be a SATA.eSATA straight connection.

I have never personally tried a thunderbolt bridge chip for firmware updating. Technically, depending on the design of the bridge adapter that could be valid since (again, depending on the design of the adapter) it might be a straight thunderbolt/PCIe directly to a SATA controller with no bridge inbetween. While that might technically allow the proper SATA commands to be sent, getting the particular firmware update app you have to work may be another thing completely. Many times the firmware updaters only work on the native SATA ports in a machine, and not even on the additional motherboard controllers that are installed.

Sorry for going of topic, but kinda related.

To the OP, why an ssd on the PS4? im old and i moved on from consoles long time ago, but considering PS4, for some titles that are not in PC and for gaming in other places. That said i see a lot upgrading their internal hdds to bigger hdds, like for example Hitachi 5k1500 or Samsung/Seagate ST2000LM003, tons of user reviews that you read there will point into PS3 and PS4 user that upgrade the, and this was what i was thinking as well. But this is the first i see someone using an SSD on it, and im also considering upgrading my PS4 when i buy it, so just wondering what would the gain on going with an SSD? im guessing there is no trim or garbage collection... so i would love to hear your pov on why and how much of an improvement there is.

Sorry again for taking this offtopic.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sorry for going of topic, but kinda related.

To the OP, why an ssd on the PS4? im old and i moved on from consoles long time ago, but considering PS4, for some titles that are not in PC and for gaming in other places. That said i see a lot upgrading their internal hdds to bigger hdds, like for example Hitachi 5k1500 or Samsung/Seagate ST2000LM003, tons of user reviews that you read there will point into PS3 and PS4 user that upgrade the, and this was what i was thinking as well. But this is the first i see someone using an SSD on it, and im also considering upgrading my PS4 when i buy it, so just wondering what would the gain on going with an SSD? im guessing there is no trim or garbage collection... so i would love to hear your pov on why and how much of an improvement there is.

Sorry again for taking this offtopic.

No problem.

The advantage to adding an SSD to the PS4 will be dependent on the games you're playing but most will show faster install times especially for digital purchases where you're not being limited by the optical drive as well as faster load times in games. Some games may only show a few seconds faster while others quite a bit more. The near instant seek times also improves the fluidity of the OS interface when navigating and opening and closing things.

It's an expensive upgrade compared to the mechanical drive options like the two you mentioned though and won't be worth it to everyone. Most newer drives have their own garbage collection that works well enough and so the lack of TRIM support doesn't appear to be a problem as long as you leave the console powered on and running idle at times so that it can do what it needs to.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back