PC gamer thinking about getting console

lee0539

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been long time pc gamer looking for deals on steam and other websites to get the best deals on games. I was wondering for consoles (xbone and PS4) what was the best way to get games? Do you guys buy them then sell them when you are done or rent games? Do you buy and sell online or at gamestop?

Last edited:
In my personal opinion, the Wii-U is the best compliment to your PC. Most of what's available on the PS4 and Xbox One is available on the PC with the exception of a few exclusives.

I don't think renting happens much anymore. Most rental stores around here have closed. Gamefly is probably your only rental option. If you want to go digital like steam, all 3 consoles have their own online stores.

I have a wii u and love it.

Id say either a ps3 or a wii u.

Well I want to play things like last of us remastered, destiny, madden, infamous 2nd son, etc on PS4. But i'll look more into wii U vs ps4 especially if wii U games are much cheaper and there are lots of good ones. I think for Xbone there are more overlaps on exclusives with pc such as titanfall.

PS4 for the long haul. Better exclusives IMO. I own all three, but if I had to settle on one, it'd be the PS4 for the better multiplat performance.

If you can only pick one, I would go PS4 and this is someone who only owns a Wii U and PC right now. The reason I say this is because as of now Wii U has awesome games, but give PS4 and X1 another 6 months to a year, and Wii U won't be able to touch them, unless you only want Nintendo games.

If you can pick up a PS4 and Wii U. I know people say PC games mix with Xq and PS4 and that is true, but there are also a butt load of Sony 1st party that will never hit PC.

I've been long time pc gamer looking for deals on steam and other websites to get the best deals on games. I was wondering for consoles (xbone and PS4) what was the best way to get games? Do you guys buy them then sell them when you are done or rent games? Do you buy and sell online or at gamestop?

I play on PCs as well as all three consoles. For me I get most of my console games used at gamestop. I tend to use the Buy 2 get 1 free sales as often as I can. But if there is a particular game I'm looking for if I find a good deal on it ebay or elsewhere I'll get it there. In most cases I do trade them back to gamestop because i usually don't play them after I'm done unless I know theres more content that will be coming out. Also if you get used games at gamestop you do have a 7 day window to return it if you don't like it.

Gamefly isn't a bad way to go either, but sometimes it can be tough when trying to get the latest games. I used several years ago and didn't really have any complaints as far as quality of service.

As far what console it all comes down to the games you want to play. Also where do most of the people you play with play. For me all the consoles have games I want to play so I eventually ended up with all of them.

The consoles that'll give you more exclusive games that are not available on PC are:

Wii-U >>>>>>>>>> PS4 >>>> Xbox One

Many Xbox exclusives eventually find their way onto PC (Dead Rising 3, Ryse, etc).

The consoles that'll give you more exclusive games that are not available on PC are:

Many Xbox exclusives eventually find their way onto PC (Dead Rising 3, Ryse, etc).

That statement is completely disingenuous.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wii-U without question and that's from an owner of all three. The PC is THE best gaming platform period. Cheapest games , best graphics , mods and so on and so on.

The PS4 has maybe one or two exclusive titles that really stand out so far. The Xbox One the same. Both will get better in time but neither are a "must own" unless you don't have a gaming PC at all.

I was in the exact same boat as you about 2 months ago and I decided to go with a PlayStation 4. Best decision ever as it has brought me so many endless hours of enjoyment. Its a great sidekick to a gaming PC as well because of all the exclusives it has that you can't play on PC....I've been enjoying the shit out of games like The last of us....Kill zone shadow fall, infamous 2nd son etc etc.

Most recently I bought Diablo 3 per request of my friends and I've been having a blast playing it with them. I can't tell you how much more enjoyable it is to just sprawl out on the couch and play a game like that for hours locally with friends or online or both vs sitting in front of the PC.

On top of all the great exclusives you can use it for pretty much everything else be it a blue ray player, a Netflix / streaming box, a music device, a web browser etc etc. Let's not forget about all the free monthly games you get via PSplus!!!

So in case you haven't realized yet, I'm saying yes definitely go with a PS4...you won't be disappointed and you will get tons of use out of it for years to come for many different things. The sooner you get it the more you'll get for your money :)

Can't wait for Uncharted!!!

Last edited:
WII-U as a second runner-up but I think it tends to get old fast, especially with the type of games on it...kind of feels like a novelty. Not enough games being released on it at a fast enough pace either in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong though, the Wii-U is great for what it is and I'm actually thinking of buying a used one but that's only because I already own a ps4.

PC > PS4 > Wii-U. :)

Last edited:
I have a PS4 and a Wii U. As a PC gamer, you definitely should consider a Wii u

Same answer as every single other topic on this discussion. Get which one appeals most to you, has the games you want to play, and that your friends are playing on as well.

Same answer as every single other topic on this discussion. Get which one appeals most to you, has the games you want to play, and that your friends are playing on as well.

That wasn't even my original question. I wanted to see which was the best way to get games for cheap with consoles. However I realize Wii U games are probably on more sales and more exclusives (more games i can't play on PC) but at the same time I do really want to play last of us (never owned ps3) and destiny sounds good. If i see some good refurb sales near black friday for Wii U and/or PS4 i might get both but at 300 for Wii U and 360 for PS4 probably not getting both.

I know people say PC games mix with Xq and PS4 and that is true, but there are also a butt load of Sony 1st party that will never hit PC.

I agree with this.

I am mostly a PC gamer also and I am getting the PS4 for the Sony exclusives.

That wasn't even my original question. I wanted to see which was the best way to get games for cheap with consoles.

In my world there's no great cheap way to get console games. Buying the disc-based retail product online after it's come down in price a bit is the best way for me. Digital download pricing is usually awful, and I'd only ever use it for smaller (cheaper) titles or maybe if there's one game I want to go back to again and again without having to use a disc.

Even if I'm never going to sell (or lend really) my console games, as a matter of principle there's no reason to use DD when the pricing isn't better than packaged retail. At least with the disc I have those options.

Sony's PS+ subscription model is one way to get new games every month, but early in the cycle it's mostly smaller games which may or may not be to your taste. Looking at what the PS3 has been getting though it ramps up, and late in its life it got quite a few large retail games too (including Uncharted 2).

So to recap; the way I buy games is to look for 'deals' on the retail packaged versions online, and by keeping PS+ through the generation.

As PC gamers we have it quite good, because we only 'need' to spend on the console exclusives. Being able to buy multiplatform games on the PC is a huge savings over a console generations, one that is extremely underestimted IMO.

Forza?

After years and years of only gaming on the PC, I recently bought a 360. They are really cheap now (especially refurb), and I figured I could take advantage of the huge catalog of older games. The main motivation was so that my son could do the Just Dance games on the Kinect, but I'll admit that I've been wanting to play Red Dead Redemption for years (it didn't disappoint).

I'm not really interested in next-gen consoles just now, but I'd probably go for a PS4 if I was, since The Last of Us is another game that I've been pining for. I did just 'splurge' on GTAV when I saw it for 50% off on Live, and it's nice to be able to play it now, instead of waiting for the PC version.

Edit: In answer to your main question, I am buying the games preowned at Gamestop. They are older games mostly, so I can walk out with 5-6 games for under $30, depending (buy 2 get 1 is awesome!).

Last edited:
As you can see from my sig I own all of the above, including past gen. I can tell you that unless your looking for older games, buying used at gamestop absolutely isn't the way to go. They typically only discount new games by ~5%. Older used games you can get fairly cheaply but it takes quite a lot of time for a retailer like gamestop to lower their used prices.

Ebay would probably be your best bet if you trust it, finding people who are reselling the game after having just beat it will more than likely be cheaper than Gamestop or any other retailer (at least chain retailers, if you have a local shop may be a different story).

If your wanting to get games cheap, depending on used pricing theres no reason to get either console because used game prices wont see drops to low level until a year AT LEAST post release which means you would be waiting a while to get the deals on software you seem to want.

That wasn't even my original question. I wanted to see which was the best way to get games for cheap with consoles. However I realize Wii U games are probably on more sales and more exclusives (more games i can't play on PC) but at the same time I do really want to play last of us (never owned ps3) and destiny sounds good. If i see some good refurb sales near black friday for Wii U and/or PS4 i might get both but at 300 for Wii U and 360 for PS4 probably not getting both.

I know what your original question was. I chose not to answer it because I was feeling a little dickish because your topic has nothing to do with your question ;)

On a serious note Wii U can be had for 200 from Nintendo store refurbished right now.

With consoles I really don't think there is an option that compares to Steam. All three current consoles are new enough into their generation that your going to find very few titles at a bargain. As time goes on, your only deals are going to be used games that you passed on, or else random sales. I don't think one platform is going to favor discounts over any other... it's all going to be pure chance (or patience) that gets you games at a price comparable to what were used to with Steam sales.

Personally, I've chosen to go all digital with this generation. I hate discs, and I'm glad to be rid of them. I'm well aware this comes at a steep price disadvantage, but I'm willing to accept that. I still game primary on my PC, reserving consoles for exclusive titles, so it's not as if I'm building up a massive collection. A $60 title here and there isn't breaking the bank.

With consoles I really don't think there is an option that compares to Steam. All three current consoles are new enough into their generation that your going to find very few titles at a bargain. As time goes on, your only deals are going to be used games that you passed on, or else random sales. I don't think one platform is going to favor discounts over any other... it's all going to be pure chance (or patience) that gets you games at a price comparable to what were used to with Steam sales.

Personally, I've chosen to go all digital with this generation. I hate discs, and I'm glad to be rid of them. I'm well aware this comes at a steep price disadvantage, but I'm willing to accept that. I still game primary on my PC, reserving consoles for exclusive titles, so it's not as if I'm building up a massive collection. A $60 title here and there isn't breaking the bank.

It is a hard decision for me. With PS4 it has some of the games I want like madden (although i could mod 08 to new roster it just isn't the same), last of us remastered (didn't play original but this game i really want to play with the new graphics), destiny (seems like everyone is buying this). If i'm not going to get great deals on wii u games then i rather pay the same amount of money on a new generation game.

With Wii U it would be legend of zelda, mario 3d, mario kart, smash brothers, donkey kong. Games I would like to play for nostalgia reasons. mario kart and smash brothers seems more reserved for when friends come over (not many friends who are big time gamers that would buy wii U.. maybe in like 5-10 years when they have kids at that age to play wii U so that rules out online play with them).

So both have about 3 games I would love to buy right away, if near black friday they have bundles i'm hoping to grab one of the games I really want with the system as a bundle. That's one of the reasons I can't justify buying both systems as well is to pay basically 200-300 dollars just to have access to 3 games I would buy for the system. Basically each game is costing me around 120 dollars in a sense.

So PS4 has next gen games I really want to play but most likely will cost me a lot of money for each game.
Wii U has backward compatibility and older games that I can get cheaper so I could end up buying lots of preowned games for cheap.

As far multimedia goes i have a roku and htpc so the extra multimedia perks don't really matter to me. That is why I ask about game cost because i'm hoping to buy a system that will be worth "investing" in.

Value sense Wii U makes the most sense but in terms of games I really "itch" to play its more towards PS4 since I missed out on games like uncharted, last of us, etc not having PS3 (i don't really want to buy ps3 just to go back and play older games. i would be content playing ps4 versions of them like uncharted 4)

Console is a more social way of gaming.
Pc is more personal. We're talking friends over in the same room.

Noone wants to watch you play world of warcraft for hours .
They will however join in on some coop games for sure.

Enough said.

Wii-U

I agree with a few people, while there will be a few titles that are exclusive to the platform (XBone, PS4), a large number of those "exclusives" will eventually find themselves on the PC market.

There are some awesome titles to get on the Wii-U, not to mention, they usually have a heck-of-a-lot of deals that come up for buy games get this, etc.

Good refurb deal too btw for the Wii-U. Deluxe 32GB unit for $199.

I've owned all 3 of the new consoles. Unless you want sports and racing stuff PS4 and Xbox One are a waste.

WiiU has a decent library worth checking out, My problem with the WiiU is as a media box its lacking in app support and doesn't support media streaming.

PS4 doesn't support twitch properly and has almost no apps and few games. No media streaming support.

Xbox One has decent apps but is just crushed under the weight of all the AD insertion. It's painful. Its twitch app has issues and no media streaming. I bought it to play Dead Rising 3 but haven't seen anything else come out worth picking up.

If I were to tell you to get a console at this point I'd say pick up a PS3. Excellent library huge constantly discounted DDL store great app and media streaming support.

I would really look at exclusives. As different an experience the Wii U might be, if they have no games you care about what’s the point?

Personally I hate Smash Bros. and Mario Kart. Plus games like traditional 2D Mario gets beaten with the far superior Rayman Legends which can be found on any console or PC.

I say Wii-U also , not because it's a super powerful console but cause the games always kick ass , *cough Zelda , Mario , Donkey kong cough* and many many many many more like sonic and ect. I haven't the need to buy a ps4 or xbox one but i would def. buy a Wii-U if i were you,

I've owned all 3 of the new consoles. Unless you want sports and racing stuff PS4 and Xbox One are a waste.

WiiU has a decent library worth checking out, My problem with the WiiU is as a media box its lacking in app support and doesn't support media streaming.

PS4 doesn't support twitch properly and has almost no apps and few games. No media streaming support.

Xbox One has decent apps but is just crushed under the weight of all the AD insertion. It's painful. Its twitch app has issues and no media streaming. I bought it to play Dead Rising 3 but haven't seen anything else come out worth picking up.

If I were to tell you to get a console at this point I'd say pick up a PS3. Excellent library huge constantly discounted DDL store great app and media streaming support.

Also this if you don't want a Wii-u , Ps3's are getting down to 100-150$ now ive seen on Craigslist.

I decided to look this S7800b on YT and had no idea about it. Looks pretty interesting with some of the emulation. I like the fact it has a Dreamcast emulator.

I decided to look this S7800b on YT and had no idea about it. Looks pretty interesting with some of the emulation. I like the fact it has a Dreamcast emulator.

I don't understand where the S7800b makes sense. If you're at home a $180 laptop from Best Buy coupled with a 360 controller gives you a better experiences. It's not really pocketable either.

I wouldn't really use a device like this at home. To be honest, I don't really have a use for an item like this. I no longer really use my PSP that I got back in 2005 to bring to Iraq. I rooted it to play emulation but a couple years ago I put it back to normal operation since it wasn't getting used.
I was mostly interested in what it is capable of as a full package, full android usage with game controls built in. For the price, seems like a cool play toy.

Okay I just read you have not played The last of us yet. This ALONE is making me highly recommend going out and buying a PS4 with TLOU IMMEDIATELY and playing the shit out of it. I think I speak for anyone that has played it when I say you will NOT be disappointed and glad you made the decision.

If you're not satisfied I'll let you kick me in the nuts...I am that confident that you're going to love it and the purchase will leave you with a good feeling. :)

Last edited:
Back