White House Cybersecurity Chief Proud To Know Nothing About Cybersecurity

HardOCP News

[H] News
Where do they keep finding these morons? I half expected him to say "Cybersecurity? Nope. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night." :rolleyes:

The White House cybersecurity co-ordinator has revealed that he's not technically-minded, but that he doesn't "have to be a coder in order to do really well." He added that "being too down in the weeds at a technical level could actually be a bit of a distraction."

Only idealistic naive fools believe that people are in positions of power because they actually know things.

Only idealistic naive fools believe that people are in positions of power because they actually know things.

Most likely he bribed, I mean donated, money to the right people.

And of course he is wrong.
Managers who at least have a basic knowledge of what the people they are managing do, tend to be better managers.

The worse managers I've had over the years were the ones that where clueless about what takes to do my job.

This is government "good ole boy" club at its finest, he probably was rubbing elbows with the higher ups gets some prominent position and has no idea in hell what these people are doing under him. I should know i worked for the government for 10 years, nepotism at its finest.

Just as true in the corporate world.

There's a reason why the Pointy Haired Boss in Dilbert rings so true.

i work with a manager like this, in fact he has said our company will never get hacked, how he knows this I have no idea and yet he knows nothing about computers or security.

One more mark against our culture. "Leaders who are unskilled" has always been an harbinger of doom.

Come on now guys, let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Surely he must.....

wait what did he just say?!

"Intruders get in through those holes that we know about that we could fix," he says. "The question is, 'Why don't we do that?' That clearly leads me to the conclusion that we really don't understand all of those economics and psychology [situations] well enough."

Tubes?

A lot of managers figure out that, as they move up the management ladder, they have to focus their talents on managing and leading people rather than using their aging technical skills or even attempting to keep after them. This is totally normal stuff and the only thing even mentioning it does is stir up the nincompoops that are looking for any reason at all to get angry at a government official or people who are new to the workforce and too lost in being wage slaves at in technical positions to understand what managers actually do for a living.

A lot of managers figure out that, as they move up the management ladder, they have to focus their talents on managing and leading people rather than using their aging technical skills or even attempting to keep after them. This is totally normal stuff and the only thing even mentioning it does is stir up the nincompoops that are looking for any reason at all to get angry at a government official or people who are new to the workforce and too lost in being wage slaves at in technical positions to understand what managers actually do for a living.

Right, because it would be totally appropriate for the Attorney General to not know a damn thing about law, or the Surgeon General to not know shit about medicine....

The best managers still know what the hell their people are doing, they may not be completely up to date in their own technical knowledge...but at least they would know what the hell their employees are talking about.

First of all, learn to use commas. Your run-ons are making my head hurt.

Second, "a lot of managers" are, in fact, hopelessly incompetent. I was a freelancer at one point, working for many companies, and I'd say only one out of maybe ten managers actually knows what he/she is asking for.

I agree.

Its always refreshing to find a brain surgeon that never went to training/school for it, but is still a regular DR. All that extra training isn't needed. :eek:

Guess this bring a new meaning to the saying, "The best security is obscurity" huueheuheuheheuehueheuheuheuehueBRBRBRBRBRBRBR

The guy said that he doesn't have to be a coder to do well. That's true.

Go to your Information Security department and ask around how many of the people in there are either CS majors or have any formal training of professional history of being programmers. You will find that most if not all of them don't code for a living.

Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that the people who set policies don't have to be programmers, Srsly.

Go to your Information Security department and ask around how many of the people in there are either CS majors or have any formal training of professional history of being programmers. You will find that most if not all of them don't code for a living.

Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out that the people who set policies don't have to be programmers, Srsly.

I know! Like that 14 day appointment limit the VA had because the managers that instituted it had no concept of what is actually involved in running a hospital, that worked out great...Well ok, maybe not great, but everyone still got their performance bonuses and nobody died...Ahh crap, people did die. At least the managers got their bonuses!

I suppose having the managers have some basic technical knowledge even if they don't keep up with the bleeding edge developments would be beneficial.

Just as true in the corporate world.

There's a reason why the Pointy Haired Boss in Dilbert rings so true.

That is really what I was getting at. The White House did just appoint some goofy, fat quality assurance (aka site reliability) engineer as the Federal CIO because the guy fixed a web page that realistically should have been coded in 3 days.

Management has nothing to do with skill, knowledge or understanding. It's all about who you know and who you blow.

Hoss, this has been going on for as long as there has been money for doing jobs.

It always ends badly when there's way too much of it going on. We believe our country is invincible and as they say "pride goeth before the fall."

First of all, learn to use commas. Your run-ons are making my head hurt.

Second, "a lot of managers" are, in fact, hopelessly incompetent. I was a freelancer at one point, working for many companies, and I'd say only one out of maybe ten managers actually knows what he/she is asking for.

I'm sorry your head hurts words might be hard for you in the same way I kinda suck at math anyhow your personal experiences are anecdotal and haven't got much of anything to do with the person in question also I left out most punctuation marks because it seemed like something that might make you smile.

I'm sorry your head hurts words might be hard for you in the same way I kinda suck at math anyhow your personal experiences are anecdotal and haven't got much of anything to do with the person in question also I left out most punctuation marks because it seemed like something that might make you smile.

Your morning trolling has started successfully. Good job!

OMFG, moron for sure. :rolleyes: How in the hell can anyone do an effective job if they don't know a damn thing and this guy brags about it being a plus. Moron for sure and he will fail at his job and they'll look for another moron to replace him. :rolleyes:

He's as qualified for his job as Obama is for his.

Obama is a graduate of Columbia University and Harvard Law School, where he served as president of the Harvard Law Review. He was a community organizer in Chicago before earning his law degree. He worked as a civil rights attorney and taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School from 1992 to 2004. He served three terms representing the 13th District in the Illinois Senate from 1997 to 2004, running unsuccessfully for the United States House of Representatives in 2000.

Having said that Obama is a lousy President that drifts around wherever the wind blows. Still a damn sight better than those repub idiots.

Having said that Obama is a lousy President that drifts around wherever the wind blows. Still a damn sight better than those repub idiots.

F**king fools on both sides of the table and we bicker over who screws up more, the left or the right. They're equally to blame for the state we're in and a 19% approval rating supports that assertion.

Sounds like another news post is heading to the SoapBox soon...

Yeah, well our president knows nothing about being presidential so it seems its business as usual.

F**king fools on both sides of the table and we bicker over who screws up more, the left or the right. They're equally to blame for the state we're in and a 19% approval rating supports that assertion.

Both sides are bad in the same way hangnails and genocide are both bad. One is just way worse.

But srsly both are bad. Fuck hangnails.

The fact that he thinks "coders" are what he needs to be successful makes him look like an even bigger jackass. :D

Back