G.SKILL Officially Announces Ripjaws 4 Series DDR4 Memory Kits

HardOCP News

[H] News
G.SKILL International Co., Ltd., the leading high performance memory designer and manufacturer, reveals the long awaited next generation Ripjaws 4 series DDR4 memory kits! Featuring all new redesigned heatspreaders in three different colors, high performance frequencies, high capacity, DDR4 quad-channel ready, and ultra low voltages, the Ripjaws 4 series is all the benefits of DDR4 rolled into one sleek package.

With a standard of 2133MHz, DDR4 is the next generation definition of performance. Also available in 2400MHz, 2666MHz, 2800MHz, 3000MHz, and 3200MHz, the starting lineup is continuing where DDR3 left off. With capacities starting at 16GB (4GBx4), 32GB (8GBx4 / 4GBx8) and 64GB (8GBx8), your new X99 platform will have more memory space to do what you need it to do. That’s not all! Ripjaws 4 also has an ultra low voltage rating of 1.2V for kits under 2800MHz and 1.35V for 3000/3200MHz!

I wonder if those 1.35V will void your warranty on the CPU, doesn't INTEL have some policy about this that started on Ivy?

Haha, 2133MHz @ CL=15 Next generation of performance...not so sure about that guys, some power savings but thats it. Holding off until the mid-cycle refresh and see how things look then.

......the fuck?

I can get 2133mhz DDR 3 ram with 11-11-11-30 timings 16gigs for $120

The christ would I want to buy DDR4 ram this slow?

I mean yeah, DDR4 gets like something around 30-40% more throughput, but that's only good for say if I was running a data server transfering shitloads of file data, ram with timings this slow would slow down stuff like gaming framerates, video encodes etc which rely on snappy ram, not ram throughput

Same complaints happened when DDR3 first came out, the initial speeds were about the same or not much better than DDR2 and of course they were a boatload more expensive.

It's always the same dance, as it was with DDR2 and DDR3. Neither provided benefits at launch that a consumer would care about. The higher densities and lower voltages are good for servers and that's just about it.

In a year or so there will be cheaper, faster and better DDR4 and nobody will care anymore. Same old.

64GB seems a bit excessive.
Although it would be pretty sweet to set up a massive RAM drive.

new ram always starts out with slower bins and loose timings... wait 3-6 months and higher freq with tighter timings will be available again, not sure how much it matters though on newer intel stuff, I pretty much just run 1866 now anyway at 9-10 cas, I figure my sweet spot should be 2133 at same tight timings on low voltage later.

......the fuck?

I can get 2133mhz DDR 3 ram with 11-11-11-30 timings 16gigs for $120

The christ would I want to buy DDR4 ram this slow?

I mean yeah, DDR4 gets like something around 30-40% more throughput, but that's only good for say if I was running a data server transfering shitloads of file data, ram with timings this slow would slow down stuff like gaming framerates, video encodes etc which rely on snappy ram, not ram throughput

those timings....

Eh? Every iteration of DDR has had increased latency because that is what is being sacrificed... When you went from DDR1 to DDR2, and DDR2 to DDR3, did you have the same complaint and just forgot?

Eh? Every iteration of DDR has had increased latency because that is what is being sacrificed... When you went from DDR1 to DDR2, and DDR2 to DDR3, did you have the same complaint and just forgot?
This! I used to have some DDR 400 at 2-3-2-6 and that was the high end stuff. As you go up in speed, latency also goes up. Also the new ram is always slower then the old ram when it come out.

Already arrived.

0KfQGPN.jpg

Wanted to get some thoughts on two kits vs one kit and the problems that may or may not be caused. I ordered two G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz CAS15 16GB (4x4GB) kits from newegg and it seems there is going to also be a G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz CAS15 32GB (8x4GB) kit as well. Seeing how X99 runs is quad channel, up to dual quad channel, would I encounter a lot of problems trying to run these two different kits in dual quad channel even though they are the same brand/speed etc? Would it be better idea in the long run to get the 8x4GB kit or should I not worry about it?

[21CW]killerofall;1041043578 said:
This! I used to have some DDR 400 at 2-3-2-6 and that was the high end stuff. As you go up in speed, latency also goes up. Also the new ram is always slower then the old ram when it come out.

Oh boy oh boy this is a tech site right?

Guys the timing jump from ddr1 to ddr2 to ddr3 to ddr4 are not representing real world latency. Real world latency has actually gone down with each new memory standard and will on average go down with each new standard.

Yes CAS latency may be listed as 9 clock cycles on some sticks of ddr3 and 5 on some sticks of ddr2, you have to take into account how many clock cycles occur in a given second and with each if you compare the actual time it takes in nanoseconds as opposed to cycles, latency had actually gone down.

For example the 3000mhz sticks have a Cas Latency (CL) in clocks of 15 translates to 5 ns.

whereas the some ddr3 2133 with a CL of 11 a real world clock speed of 1066 translates to ~10.3ns.

Now these are on paper and you have to factor in perfecting which is identical in ns latency to ddr3, however overall ddr4 is lower latency than ddr3.

Last edited:
For example the 3000mhz sticks have a Cas Latency (CL) in clocks of 15 translates to 5 ns.

whereas the some ddr3 2133 with a CL of 11 a real world clock speed of 1066 translates to ~10.3ns.

DDR4 is still double clocked so DDR4 3000 is still 1500 MHz read on the rising and falling edges of the clock. Just like DDR3 2133 is 1066 MHz.

Pixel[H];1041054395 said:
Oh boy oh boy this is a tech site right?

Guys the timing jump from ddr1 to ddr2 to ddr3 to ddr4 are not representing real world latency. Real world latency has actually gone down with each new memory standard and will on average go down with each new standard.

Yes CAS latency may be listed as 9 clock cycles on some sticks of ddr3 and 5 on some sticks of ddr2, you have to take into account how many clock cycles occur in a given second and with each if you compare the actual time it takes in nanoseconds as opposed to cycles, latency had actually gone down.

Now these are on paper and you have to factor in perfecting which is identical in ns latency to ddr3, however overall ddr4 is lower latency than ddr3.

It sounds like you would like to educate us non-technical people on a tech site a little bit. Given a stick of DDR3 @ 2133MHz CL 11, and a stick of DDR4 @ 2133MHz CL15, would you say the DDR4 stick is lower latency "overall"? I'm unsure of what your use of the word "overall" in the context that you used it, so clarifying that would be helpful as well.

Back