AT&T Confirms Plans To Deliver GigaPower In Cupertino

HardOCP News

[H] News
AT&T today confirmed it will expand its ultra-fast AT&T GigaPower network to the City of Cupertino. The all-fiber network will bring symmetrical upload and download broadband speeds up to 1 gigabit per second, and AT&T’s most advanced TV services to consumers and small businesses. AT&T is deploying additional fiber and electronics to the existing network in Cupertino to meet the growing demand for ultra-fast broadband. The network enhancements will enable customers to have access to AT&T’s fastest Internet speeds available to consumers. Local residents and small businesses on the AT&T GigaPower network will also experience cutting-edge TV services with the ability to watch and record five simultaneous HD streams, and its largest capacity DVR with one terabyte of storage.

It is very amusing to read this knowing that AT&T would never, ever have gotten around to offering gigabit Internet anywhere, especially in Cupertino, if Google hadn't started threatening to take away their customers by bringing Google Fiber there.

It is very amusing to read this knowing that AT&T would never, ever have gotten around to offering gigabit Internet anywhere, especially in Cupertino, if Google hadn't started threatening to take away their customers by bringing Google Fiber there.
In one of these threads of the same topic several months ago someone linked to an article stating that whoever non-Google moved into / had begun offering gigabit internet at prices competitive to that of Google's is still making profit from selling gigabit internet connectivity.

That in itself goes to show how much BS and lying is going on among the ISP'opoly in their accusations against Google and excuses why they won't give people better and cheaper internet and excuses of bandwidth limitations etc

That in itself goes to show how much BS and lying is going on among the ISP'opoly in their accusations against Google and excuses why they won't give people better and cheaper internet and excuses of bandwidth limitations etc

That doesn't surprise me at all, particularly the way Verizon is all jerkface lately, would be curious to see the article if you remember where it was!

I wonder if this somehow stems from the initial iphone deal.

Other than the: success, apple ufo building, future tech center.

Arghhh so close...bring it to San Francisco!

Which is why we'll never see in San Francisco, Google isn't going to come here, too much red tape, not enough bending over backwards from local governments. Hell AT&T can't even get their boxes installed for Uverse because they're too damn big and would block quite a bit of the sidewalk area. Hell Sonic.net is running into hurdles I think wiring up $70/month 1Gbps fiber to the Sunset.

Unfortunately I live in one of those neighborhoods with lots of old Asians, not going to see anything that requires lots of commitment from neighbors here.

Yay! So we can hit their stupid fucking 150GB cap even SOONER!

Which is why we'll never see in San Francisco, Google isn't going to come here, too much red tape, not enough bending over backwards from local governments. Hell AT&T can't even get their boxes installed for Uverse because they're too damn big and would block quite a bit of the sidewalk area. Hell Sonic.net is running into hurdles I think wiring up $70/month 1Gbps fiber to the Sunset.

Unfortunately I live in one of those neighborhoods with lots of old Asians, not going to see anything that requires lots of commitment from neighbors here.

You can watch the little progress Sonic.net is having trying to get a small section of the Outer Sunset with fiber here.

In one of these threads of the same topic several months ago someone linked to an article stating that whoever non-Google moved into / had begun offering gigabit internet at prices competitive to that of Google's is still making profit from selling gigabit internet connectivity.

CenturyLink here in Vegas is finally rolling out gig service. It'll be nice because it'll give Cox an actual competitor. Cox responded by doubling everyone's speed for free.

The issue for some areas is where the telco and the cable company are owned by the same company. There's literally no incentive to get them to compete when their the only provider in town.

CenturyLink here in Vegas is finally rolling out gig service. It'll be nice because it'll give Cox an actual competitor. Cox responded by doubling everyone's speed for free.

The issue for some areas is where the telco and the cable company are owned by the same company. There's literally no incentive to get them to compete when their the only provider in town.

Wish we had some competition where I live.
Choice of either overpriced Cox, or extremely slow (<3mb) DSL.

There is, however, huge incentive for the only provider in town to keep themselves the only provider in town. Comcast has the only cable TV franchise in my particular city, and it is glaringly obvious that the only way to accomplish this is by offering the town council larger bribes than the other companies can. I got very lucky; a competing company decided "screw that, we have the franchise for the county, so we'll start installing in that town anyway" and I was amongst the few that got in on that before the installations got stopped.

Running fiber in a city like SF is likely a logistical nightmare. Atleast until we invest magic in order to put fiber in the ground without having to stop traffic.

Oh bah... they seem to be ok with stopping traffic when PG&E got their panties in a twist after the San Bruno fire/explosion and decided to replace all the gas lines under the street, they're also pretty ok with tearing up the streets to replace water lines too. PG&E was actually way quicker at disrupting then resuming things the way they were, the city on the other hand has like 8000 crews all working at once rather than tackling a few areas at a time.

I am always so glad to hear they are going to shower an already over saturated market with even faster speeds. One of the few markets that has FIOS. This is one of those times you actually start thinking a state run internet wouldn't be a bad idea as horrible as that sounds. If they actually thought about for a sec they could probably find some town that only has a cable options and go in and get nearly a monopoly by laying down fiber. But instead they go into a market where they will compete with multiple fully updated competitors and a population full of people who probably already have blazing 4G on all their phones.

Is there such a thing? I have Uverse and have gone WAY over that many times without any issue.

One of the main reasons I have Uverse and not Comcast is that Uverse does not enforce any caps. Comcast in my area does.

WHOA! And i thought our 250GB was bad.
What he said is not true as ATT has no 150gb or even 250gb cap or if they do they dont enforce it at all. I have gone over 400gb and even 500gb many times and nothing ever happened.

Oh bah... they seem to be ok with stopping traffic when PG&E got their panties in a twist after the San Bruno fire/explosion and decided to replace all the gas lines under the street, they're also pretty ok with tearing up the streets to replace water lines too. PG&E was actually way quicker at disrupting then resuming things the way they were, the city on the other hand has like 8000 crews all working at once rather than tackling a few areas at a time.

Yeah. Just saw 6 people in a maintenance crew working on the Powell St cable car line - 6 people - 1 guy crouched down with a plate open, spraying WD40 onto something. Jesus.

And I know, the logistical/NIMBY/BS that SF has to offer means that it will never come. There is a company, Webpass, that does synchronous 100Mb or 200Mb via microwave, but only does it on new buildings with enough units for them to make money on.

And I know, the logistical/NIMBY/BS that SF has to offer means that it will never come. There is a company, Webpass, that does synchronous 100Mb or 200Mb via microwave, but only does it on new buildings with enough units for them to make money on.
Yeah when I was researching OTA (Other than AT&T... comcast too) internet services Webpass seemed awesome... until I realized what they did and being as I live in a single family home I was disqualified. Monkeybrains was another that I looked into, 8-20Mbps via radio/microwave and the guy came to install it only to find out there was no signal at my house even though I was in the coverage area, they did have a request to the city for microtrenching of fiber lines, supposedly way quicker and less disruptive, however that request is years old and I haven't seen squat from them so I'm guessing they got denied.

Oh well Sonic.net will have to work for now, it's DSL, it's slow, but at least their the type of ISP I can stand behind... and it's cheaper than AT&T :)

What he said is not true as ATT has no 150gb or even 250gb cap or if they do they dont enforce it at all. I have gone over 400gb and even 500gb many times and nothing ever happened.

ORLY?

DataCapYeahHuh.png

Also of note, my billing period starts the first day of the month (look at the date in the image). And my usage to that point had been light compared to other months. I'd mostly been reading e-mail, syncing my DB to work, and browsing the web. I had one (ONE) 200MB download on the 9th.

So not only is their data cap stupidly small, they can't even monitor it properly.

And what should appear on today's Slashdot but a question thread about AT&T's Internet overbilling:

http://ask.slashdot.org/story/14/08...hat-to-do-about-repeated-internet-overbilling

In the comments to the question ("what to do about it?"), we get an answer for 15% of the misreporting that results after all the other dirty manipulative tricks AT&T uses: "ATM/PPPoE encapsulation is approximately 15% of total traffic." Other comments back that up.

Back