Windows 9 Unveiling Set For September 30?

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Verge, citing a friend of a friend that knows someone familiar with Microsoft's plans, claims Windows 9 will be unveiled September 30th. Or, it could later than that. That date may change too. Also, it might be named something else when it does. A preview will be available in late September or early October. Maybe.

Microsoft is planning to unveil its Windows 8 successor next month at a special press event. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that the software maker is tentatively planning its press event for September 30th to detail upcoming changes to Windows as part of a release codenamed "Threshold." This date may change, but the Threshold version of Windows is currently in development and Microsoft plans to release a preview version of what will likely be named Windows 9 to developers on September 30th or shortly afterwards.

From what has leaked so far it seems that they have merged the touch-focused Start-screen apps and the desktop into a single seamless interface with the Start menu returning.
I'm sure there will be more to it than that, but UI-wise that seems to be the main gist of it.

"We put a 9 on the box"
tumblr_lenv4bC1Ks1qdrowlo1_500.gif

:)

I still find it hilarious that Microsoft finally gave in calling all the Program Files "Apps" a phrase Apple, their direct competitor coined.

That new "mini start menu" looks hideous. I wonder if it will match my couch and drapes?:rolleyes:

I still find it hilarious that Microsoft finally gave in calling all the Program Files "Apps" a phrase Apple, their direct competitor coined.

They coined App Store. There were tons of applications, apps, programs, whatever you want to call it. App's were there before, just as an abbreviation for applications. It's been like that for a long time. Pre-Apple calling it that. Apple just made it 'cool' to call them apps and get them from an App Store.

That new "mini start menu" looks hideous. I wonder if it will match my couch and drapes?:rolleyes:

No edit.... This is probably not going to happen. With Windows 8, my complaint was lack of customization on the start screen. It had those strange tattoo looking things. They fixed it, but I think that the new mini start menu will be a one look, non-customizable thing... :(

What is Windows 9 supposed to do better than Windows 7 or 8?

One thing that's been rumored to be coming is built in virtual desktops. The capability to support it has been in Windows for some time but there was never a built-in UI for it. There are rumors also rumors of a much different taskbar. I would suspect that there will be enough enhancements to the desktop to make at least interesting to desktop users.

Trick you into creating a Live account for "your" computer.

I know that a lot of people don't care for this on a PC, but for the average person that has a phone or tablet that uses cloud services and like how that works, they'll probably like it on a PC especially if they use any of Microsoft services.

What is Windows 9 supposed to do better than Windows 7 or 8?

I'll give you my guess.

better than windows 7. Some low level core performance improvements and some modularization of core components to improve boot time are the ability to enable greater power savings (not that anything does mind you, but it could). Probably also the ability to let youw atch some copy protected streaming media at high resolution more conveniently.. You now the non-metro stuff of windows 8.

better than windows 8:
look and feel a lot more like windows 7 on a desktop.

Trick you into creating a Live account for "your" computer.

It goes beyond "trick". I had to un-fuck my FIL's laptop, and even KNOWING what I didn't want to do it made it an exceptional PITA.

windows killed their brand with windows 8. they put their tiles on mobile, desktop and the xbox one. win7 will still be around in 10 years unless windows 10 reverses what people hated about win8.

I want a version of Windows that does not have a single trace of Metro, Bing, App store, Cloud, Live, etc.

None of this should be included by default.

I want a version of Windows that does not have a single trace of Metro, Bing, App store, Cloud, Live, etc.

None of this should be included by default.

I don't think Microsoft can simply ignore the modern world of computing and by default for the average user keep Windows by default as aware of the connected world as Windows 95. Certainly there should be options to control these things, like Windows 8.x has, and maybe the options need better controls than Windows 8.x.

But it's inexcusable that one can sign on to a phone and have their apps and data and contacts sync and that all just tends to work but yet on a PC that becomes hours of work. I understand that many hate the notion of the "dumbing down" of the PC, but the PC can't stay in the era of 1970's and expect average people to use them unless they have to.

I don't think Microsoft can simply ignore the modern world of computing and by default for the average user keep Windows by default as aware of the connected world as Windows 95. Certainly there should be options to control these things, like Windows 8.x has, and maybe the options need better controls than Windows 8.x.

But it's inexcusable that one can sign on to a phone and have their apps and data and contacts sync and that all just tends to work but yet on a PC that becomes hours of work. I understand that many hate the notion of the "dumbing down" of the PC, but the PC can't stay in the era of 1970's and expect average people to use them unless they have to.

Everything I mentioned is designed and built into Windows for the sole purpose of selling additional Microsoft products and generating even more revenue from customers that already paid for the OS. They do not have the user, usability, or convenience in mind that is simply a byproduct.

They offer very little value and should be optional during the intial Windows setup. A little box or wizard should ask the user if they want any of these non-essential services and if they do then an additional box should let them know in two to three sentences and plain english that all of their actions and data are going to be used against them for advertising and further monetization.

The whole push for cloud everything, dumbing down the OS, and software as a service is the worst thing to happen to Windows and why Windows 8.x failed.

I'll wait for Windows 9.1 Update 1. So Windows 911? ;)

Codename Windows Allah. :p That actually has a nice ring to it.

I'm really not happy with the direction of Windows. I hate this cloud based crap, touch stuff and overall look. They keep screwing with everything. Windows 8 looks like an acid trip and I should not have to install 3rd party utilities to make it usable. I presume 9 might be slightly better, too early to judge but I have a feeling they're still going to have all the cloud crap and requirement of tying it to an online account.

I've been running Linux for over a year now but it has it's limitations such as lack of 3 monitor support which I have some sub par work around for and also everything is much harder or more tedious than windows so it takes some sacrifices to use. Sometimes I consider going back to Windows 7 but seeing what the future of windows seems to hold I don't know if I want to deal with that either. It seems the concept of a traditional operating system is slowly dying. Heck even ubuntu ruined everything with Gnome 3/Unity. It's a good thing we have choices with distros but at what point will the others go south too.

he whole push for cloud everything, dumbing down the OS, and software as a service is the worst thing to happen to Windows and why Windows 8.x failed.

Windows 8.x failed compared to other versions of Windows almost entirely because of the unfamiliarity of its UI to existing users. There's no way for Windows to go forward however ignoring modern computing trends. Cloud services, app stores, data syncing, etc. can't be ignored. The typical computing device that young people use today does all of this, they expect an app store and the cloud.

Part of the challenge for Microsoft regarding Windows is its extreme age relative to other widespread IT products. Desktop Windows has been a dominate product since the introduction of Windows 3.0 24 years ago. The success of Windows preceded the success of the Internet, tablets and smartphones. Windows almost put Apple out of business and virtually no one today would ever believe that.

Windows is a unique product with a unique set of expectations and challenges. But it can't be successful going forward ignoring the expectations of those who would use it born today, almost a generation after it became one the seminal technologies of our time.

OneDrive is kind of a gimmick. It's unusable unless you're using a Microsoft platform. Dropbox works on Windows, desktop and command line Linux, Android, yadda yadda. The entire Metro screen is useless IMO.

I have the onedrive app on my Android phone it works just like dropbox....

Granted I'm only using it because of the promo I got in on for 100 gig free for a year. But I like how it works thus far. My Linux boxes it works fine from the web interface. Really the only place I use the app is on my phone.

OneDrive is kind of a gimmick. It's unusable unless you're using a Microsoft platform. Dropbox works on Windows, desktop and command line Linux, Android, yadda yadda. The entire Metro screen is useless IMO.

Nothing here even begins to be factually correct.

ITT: More 'I don't like change so metro sucks' crap.

They're giving you your precious start menu and more of your desktop back, while keeping metro for those of us who like it. Yet you're still gonna complain. Never happy. :D

Everything I mentioned about Dropbox and the Metro screen is correct. :D OneDrive works on Linux? Oh, right.

Actually, OneDrive should work on linux since it has WebDAV support. It took me forever to figure it out though and Microsoft refuses to publish this information; typical... Instead they make it seem like installing their stupid software is the only way to accomplish this.

Everything I mentioned about Dropbox and the Metro screen is correct. :D OneDrive works on Linux? Oh, right.

OneDrive is cross platform. If one is going to criticize something not working on Linux, at least not easily, there's a lot of blame to go around there.

Why wouldn't it. I know there's no thick client but there is no reason why the web side shouldn't work.

The biggest turnoff on Windows 8 was the TETRIS/Metro user interface that wasn't really friendly to users at all. I had installed Windows 8 Preview at work when it first came out, and my co-workers (all techs) hated it. When my mother got a new laptop, one of the first things I did was install Classic Shell just to bypass TETRIS. I will grant that there was some major under-the-hood improvements, but the visual interface was a turn-off, and in my upcoming build, I actually ordered Windows 7-64 bit instead of 8.1.

Maybe Windows 9 will follow the trend of "really good OS to make up for troubled OS release".

Why wouldn't it. I know there's no thick client but there is no reason why the web side shouldn't work.

Not a big concern to me. If I wanted to use something via a web frontend I would use any other countless things (ie Mega). The advantage of OneDrive is it was integrated into Explorer. I'm not very concerned about it either way though, I disconnected my live account and use Dropbox. Dropbox also integrates within Linux very well.

I'm prepared to be hugely underwhelmed by yet another Windows release done justify ending support for perfectly okay previous versions so that the market never reaches a saturation point and sales drop off too low to pay for all those bills the big Redmond campus creates.

No really, I'm dreading an online-account linked, subscription-based OS with another bumbling and stupid attempt to "reimagine" the user interface to work with fad technologies while making it annoying for the majority of the current user population that doesn't conform to the new, worthless usage model that includes reaching over perfectly good interface devices to smear finger grease over a screen that doesn't need to be touched in the first place except by mentally deficient, tactile fetish weirdos that are better off just rubbing their naked selves over bed sheets if they wanna get off on touching something.

Windows almost put Apple out of business and virtually no one today would ever believe that.

Because that's simply not true or factual, Apple was headed for bankruptcy because of their own actions, and needed no help from Microsoft.

I'll be waiting until the linux October releases to upgrade my OS, it gives my household exactly what we like and it's free. No Metro or steering us into an 'ecosystem' to enhance sales.

Frankly, I'm tired of every company working it's way into my family room as well as my pc.

Best,

LC

Because that's simply not true or factual, Apple was headed for bankruptcy because of their own actions, and needed no help from Microsoft.

Actually though Apple did get some help staving off bankruptcy from Microsoft. I think a lot of people think Microsoft is a company in decline because of its sheer dominance in the 90's when it was actually a considerably smaller company than today.

Back