AMD Commemorating 30 Years of Graphics & Gaming at AMD

HardOCP News

[H] News
The folks at AMD reminded us they will be commemorating 30 years of graphics and gaming this Saturday at 10am EDT. What does the graphics card giant have up its sleeve for this event? I guess you'll have to tune in to find out! :cool:

AMD Commemorating 30 Years of Graphics & Gaming at AMD. AMD’s Chief Gaming Scientist Richard Huddy will be the master of ceremonies on Saturday, Aug. 23, 2014 at 10:00 AM EDT (14:00 UTC). A real-time video webcast will be shown here. A replay of the webcast can be accessed approximately four hours after the conclusion of the live event and will be available for one year after the event. Additionally, viewers will also be able to access the live broadcast on the AMD Twitch channel at twitch.tv/amd. A replay of the webcast will be accessible on the AMD YouTube channel.

Isn't the "at AMD" part kind of implied in the title? It'd be news if AMD was "Commemorating 30 Years of Graphics and Gaming at Intel".

Not exactly a big secret at this point... Already several sites with the scoop on the supposed main announcement. :D

I have no idea what AMD is smoking this time but twenty years puts us at 95 where I can at least see them taking credit for cpu based graphics and ATi work. Thirty years puts us at 85 where AMD is not even relevant as a company. As far as leadership SGI up until Nvidia then ATI with Radeon but that is 2000 and only 14 years ago. What's worse is they had to cheat in games to get the speed which was suspected but never proven until vanguard saga of heroes made the mistake of using ATi propriety ARB path and saying that it matched the raster exactly then before the game launched Nvidia got their head out of their ass and released the 8800 GTX which did match the raster and vanguard did not render half of the stuff to the screen so you saw a pair of floating eyes and various parts some times feet or hands but most of the time it was just a pair of eyes. I still think that is what killed the game where the Dev's just did not own up until to late what was going on. That is not to say every other company has not lied about one thing or another, I just think that a statement of 30 years of graphics is bit more bull than spin, let alone leadership. Intel at least was making discrete chips back in the mid 90's when they were not just using companies like cirus logic and trident.

So the long and short if they had someone write who was old enough to remember what really happened, and not just read the wiki, because that just because it is in wikipedia does not mean it is right, they would have written something different. They really need to show case an old piece of hardware from 1984 with a AMD graphics chip in it, or even a ATi graphics chip.

ATI was founded in 1985. Competition benefits consumers so what's the issue?

Back