51% Of Consumers Share Passwords

HardOCP News

[H] News
The moral of this story? Don't leave your backdoor wide open to attackers. I think that's good advice in any situation. :D

While 52% of respondents stated that security was a top priority when choosing a mobile device, 51% are putting their personal data at risk by sharing usernames and passwords with friends, family and colleagues.

I'm guessing that everyone here is in the 49% that don't. If I ever have to share an account, I change the password before and then change the password to something else after the person is done.

The only person that knows my passwords is my wife.

And 51% voted to reelect El Presidente, any correlation?

Stupid is as stupid does.

I've NEVER shared a password with anyone other than my wife, and even then they are only written down by hand and kept locked up in the gun safe for when I'm on travel.

My Fiancee is the only other person who knows any of my passwords.

I have long complicated and different passwords for all my financial and other critical accounts. For low criticality, social accounts and forums, I have a few different passwords that are simpler and I reuse a lot.

I have so many accounts everywhere that it is infeasible to have unique unguessable long strings of numbers and letters not written down and changed every 90 days. This method is simply not useable as it stands.

Even as it is, for many sites I have to reset my password every single time I log in.

I think the long term solution is some type of easy to use cross platform and cross site certificate authentication, so that you never have to worry about remembering passwords.

I say 51% is incredibly small number.

At my company, I am constantly having users giving me their passwords, either on sticky note, chat, email. Each time I tell them "NO...bad....bad. Now you have to create a new password since you shared your current one."

However, they don't seem to be learning. Instead I just get branded the "asshole password nazi". And yes, it's in quotes because that's what I was called to my face by a user. This was in a conversation about people saying things behind your back. I was told that is my nickname behind my back.

Zarathustra[H];1041040257 said:
My Fiancee is the only other person who knows any of my passwords.

I have long complicated and different passwords for all my financial and other critical accounts. For low criticality, social accounts and forums, I have a few different passwords that are simpler and I reuse a lot.

I have so many accounts everywhere that it is infeasible to have unique unguessable long strings of numbers and letters not written down and changed every 90 days. This method is simply not useable as it stands.

Even as it is, for many sites I have to reset my password every single time I log in.

I think the long term solution is some type of easy to use cross platform and cross site certificate authentication, so that you never have to worry about remembering passwords.

I use a program called keepass. I have it setup to require two factor authentication to open, have one master password and one keyfile that I generated that are used to open it. Once open it contains links/usernames/passwords for all my sites. It will even go so far as to auto-type it for me.

I think the thing is that most of us know we should be doing more to create safer passwords, not reuse them, etc. etc. but on the other hand one could easily spend WAAAY too much time managing passwords, so most of us take shortcuts, and hope the worst doesn't happen.

It's not good, but if I have learned anything is the only way to change behavior is to create a solution that is easier. If something adds effort, and it is not a persons prime goal, then they are simply not going to do it, regardless of how important it is.

So. Easy password free GUI gross application/website/platform certificate authentication it is.

GO INVENT!

However, they don't seem to be learning. Instead I just get branded the "asshole password nazi". And yes, it's in quotes because that's what I was called to my face by a user. This was in a conversation about people saying things behind your back. I was told that is my nickname behind my back.

You should have asked him if he wanted to hear about the thousands of passwords that you've liquidated over the years, and informed him that many of them shared a common base.

I won't give anyone my password- friends or family...why would they need it for?

I won't give anyone my password- friends or family...why would they need it for?

Hmm..

Some friends have my WiFi password, but that's about it.

My Fiance has my desktop password, because her computer died and she needed to finish a paper, and I never got around to setting up a separate user account.

Otherwise I haven't shared my accounts with anyone.

Back