The Real Value Of $100 In Each State

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Tax Foundation has put out a map of the U.S. that shows you the real value of $100 in each state. While not tech related, this is something I think most of you will find interesting.

So, more or less, the states where a $100 goes "farthest" are those with horrible economies, shitty job markets, and those most lacking in healthcare, education, and farthest behind in modern infrastructure... and there's also the glaring lack of civilization and anything aside from hillbilly culture in many of the highest ranked, but I suppose that part is subjective.

All in all, looks like the states you'd most not want to live in list to me.

^ uh, this can be said for the value of a dollar anywhere in the world.

Logically speaking, your dollar will travel farther in a remote place of poor people than it will in a metropolis full of rich people. You don't even need to read an article to understand this.

I call bullshit on that map. There is no way california is only 15% more expensive than texas. Having lived in both states, I would say texas is at least 50% cheaper than california, if not more.

^ uh, this can be said for the value of a dollar anywhere in the world.

Logically speaking, your dollar will travel farther in a remote place of poor people than it will in a metropolis full of rich people. You don't even need to read an article to understand this.

Yeah, but this was put out by the Tax Foundation, and unless I've got this backwards... they advocate lower/taxes...

Which makes their make kinda ironic in that it shows lower taxes = shitter place to live.

So, more or less, the states where a $100 goes "farthest" are those with horrible economies, shitty job markets, and those most lacking in healthcare, education, and farthest behind in modern infrastructure... and there's also the glaring lack of civilization and anything aside from hillbilly culture in many of the highest ranked, but I suppose that part is subjective.

Spoken like the truly ignorant, arrogant, bigoted leftist idiot you are.

How's the job market in New York vs a "backwards" state like Texas or North Dakota?

Where's your family better off, surrounded by "hillbilly" culture or gang-banger culture?

I call bullshit on that map. There is no way california is only 15% more expensive than texas. Having lived in both states, I would say texas is at least 50% cheaper than california, if not more.

Probably depends where you live... if you're talking some of the few civilized/livable areas in Texas like San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, Etc... cost of living is much higher. The rest of the shithole areas is dirt cheap because it's basically Mexico with a different kind of big dumb hat.

Spoken like the truly ignorant, arrogant, bigoted leftist idiot you are.

How's the job market in New York vs a "backwards" state like Texas or North Dakota?

Where's your family better off, surrounded by "hillbilly" culture or gang-banger culture?

Yeah, having lived or spent time in all those places... definitely New York.

And Gang Banged culture? Really? Maybe if you're talking about Detroit or South Central, but hillbilliy culture is just as vacuous and detrimental to forming any kind of actual intelligence

It is an average. There are places in Texas that are mindboggling expensive just as there are cheap places in California. Comparing San Antonio or Austin to Fresno for example.

Lived in California. I am now living in amongst the savages here in Montucky.

Only thing I really miss about CA is the weather. And occasionally, the variety of places to eat out.

Yeah, having lived or spent time in all those places... definitely New York.

And Gang Banged culture? Really? Maybe if you're talking about Detroit or South Central, but hillbilliy culture is just as vacuous and detrimental to forming any kind of actual intelligence

I asked you a question moron.

How's the job market in New York vs those states you just trashed? What's the matter, aren't you man enough to acknowledge your mistakes?

And to brag about how tolerant and open minded they are, while using terms like "hillbilly" and "white trash".

Never said I was tolerant... or a leftist. All in all humanity is about 90% a waste of space, and has barely evolved much beyond stupid mindless apes.

Hillbillies and rednecks are just much farther down that evolutionary ladder than anyone with an ounce of intelligence or common sense is all...

*shrug*

I asked you a question moron.

How's the job market in New York vs those states you just trashed? What's the matter, aren't you man enough to acknowledge your mistakes?

And I answered it. I can find a *good* job in New York a hell of a lot easier than fucking Dakota...

But if you're opinion of a good "job" is pumping oil, cutting down forests, or some other kind of mindless unskilled labor... then maybe you're right.

Never said I was tolerant... or a leftist. All in all humanity is about 90% a waste of space, and has barely evolved much beyond stupid mindless apes.

Hillbillies and rednecks are just much farther down that evolutionary ladder than anyone with an ounce of intelligence or common sense is all...

*shrug*

I'd take a hillbilly over the trash that resides in the filthy housing projects of NY or CA any day.

Having traveled extensively "country people" may lead a simple lifestyle but they've never been anything but kind and welcoming to me.

Where would you rather break down, the middle of a Montana town or in the middle of Chicago?

And I answered it. I can find a *good* job in New York a hell of a lot easier than fucking Dakota...

But if you're opinion of a good "job" is pumping oil, cutting down forests, or some other kind of mindless unskilled labor... then maybe you're right.

This is just more evidence of your ignorance. New York isn't in the business of creating jobs to any extent, its losing them and population.

Energy production is as high tech a job as telecommunications or aerospace, and pays just as well. You just seem to have a pathological need to look down at people who get their hands dirty.

What do you do for a living that elevates you so far above all these people you loath?

I'd like to say this chart surprises me, but if you notice, all the states with the highest burying power per dollar is the states often ravaged by natural disasters the worst

This is just more evidence of your ignorance. New York isn't in the business of creating jobs to any extent, its losing them and population.

Energy production is as high tech a job as telecommunications or aerospace, and pays just as well. You just seem to have a pathological need to look down at people who get their hands dirty.

What do you do for a living that elevates you so far above all these people you loath?

New York has issues just like the rest of the country, but all your other states are worse in so many other ways...

And I've gotten my hands dirty plenty... but you couldn't pay me any amount to work in oil, if that's what you're referring to as "energy production."

Let me guess you consider all those fracking jobs in the Dakotas as a good thing? Fuckers should all be shot.

I'd take a hillbilly over the trash that resides in the filthy housing projects of NY or CA any day.

Having traveled extensively "country people" may lead a simple lifestyle but they've never been anything but kind and welcoming to me.

Where would you rather break down, the middle of a Montana town or in the middle of Chicago?

Oh, and I'll take the option where I can walk a block to a dozen options, or call a cab with my full cell phone coverage...

Kind of a no-brainer actually

It's a gigantic state. You can live in a simulation of any middle America town in certain areas, live in the middle of nowhere, or live in major cities like San Francisco or LA.

Surprised to see NY is actually above the average UE rate. Just shows what a crazy reality-distortion bubble SF is right now...

New York has issues just like the rest of the country, but all your other states are worse in so many other ways...

And I've gotten my hands dirty plenty... but you couldn't pay me any amount to work in oil, if that's what you're referring to as "energy production."

Let me guess you consider all those fracking jobs in the Dakotas as a good thing? Fuckers should all be shot.
Your handle is fitting.

Some people would rather live in New York over those other smaller cheaper states. Other people leave places like CA and NY to get out of them and move to those smaller cheaper states. They don't all come running back.

Choice is a good thing.

Let me guess, you consider ethanol a good solution.
You must be one of those people who complain fracking wastes too much water, even though it takes 500 times as much water to produce ethanol (gallon per gallon).

Let me guess, you consider ethanol a good solution.
You must be one of those people who complain fracking wastes too much water, even though it takes 500 times as much water to produce ethanol (gallon per gallon).

More like a realist who acknowledges that next to coal burning, fracking is right up there near the top of the "worst possible things we can do to our environment" list...

It should be illegal, and,yes, its supporters should be shot... I'd be nice and say they should lobotomized, but they apparently already operate at that intellectual level.

*shrug* Don't really care honestly. We're too far gone to do anything about it, so best just to sit back, have a few more drinks... and watch it all burn. Pass the matches bitches.

Arguing about the difference between states like this is stupid. There is more to NY than NYC, just like there's more to Texas than ranch country. I've lived in Upstate New York, Houston, and Chicago. Guess which one was the most country?

(FWIW, New York sucks, I hate living here. I'd much rather be back in Texas. But certainly not to get away from city living...)

Some people would rather live in New York over those other smaller cheaper states. Other people leave places like CA and NY to get out of them and move to those smaller cheaper states. They don't all come running back.

Choice is a good thing.

It is people like you that make me keep faith in Americans. Respect for plurality of thinking is becoming rarer in your country, but while people like you exist, there is hope.

On the other, Americans failed to destroy the world because they hate each other too much to actually accomplish anything. God works in funny ways indeed.;)

This great discussion is brought to you by the General Mayhem ---> Soapbox.

Usually we like to keep these hot button issue topics relegated to the Soapbox, but today you get this free trial courtesy of WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot and GlowingGhoul.

Sign up now for your 1 or 15 years access to General Mayhem and you can witness stuff almost like (well minus the personal attacks) this every day.

*shrug*

Says the guy who uses a military term that was created by *gasp* hillbillies and rednecks as his username.

It's awfully convenient to be able to pick and choose cultural creations that suit your needs while demonizing those same cultures.

Arguing about the difference between states like this is stupid. There is more to NY than NYC, just like there's more to Texas than ranch country. I've lived in Upstate New York, Houston, and Chicago. Guess which one was the most country?

(FWIW, New York sucks, I hate living here. I'd much rather be back in Texas. But certainly not to get away from city living...)
Agreed.
Texas has 3 of the top 10 most populous cities in the US. Most Texans live in big cities, even if they aren't as dense as New York (most dense Urban living) or LA (most dense suburban living).

Your dollar doesn't go as far in places that are considered more desirable to live by wealthy people. Most are influenced by weather and access to services... so California and Colorado. New York, DC, and Chicago have tons of wealth, maybe not a mass number of jobs, but plenty of wealth in the industries they focus on. So the market will bear higher costs for basic goods and property. The (bad) weather and space is what keeps Texas (the job creation powerhouse over the recession) competitive in terms of cost of living. Plenty of people are moving there for various reasons, there's just not quite as much economic inequity you see in places like LA, San Francisco, New York,etc...

Interesting that people automatically assume anyone who defends living in an expensive area must be a liberal. Just as interesting is people seemingly assuming that all expensive areas are the same in terms of quality of life. I'm certainly not a liberal and I love it here in California. I love living somewhere where short-pants and a t-shirt can be worn all year long, yet still not have to run my AC 24/7 in the summer. I love living somewhere were it's not humid, doesn't rain all the time, and isn't the equivalent of a desert either.

As far as being expensive, well, let me just say that gentrification is a wonderful thing. Over the years as the African-American population in places like Detroit increased to the point that they now represent over 80% of the population, the African-American population population in places like Oakland significantly decreased to where they now represent only about 25% of the population. The effects of this are essentially self-explanatory.

It's nice to live in a place where you can leave your car unlocked and joke about it afterward. It's nice to live in a place that is extremely multi-cultural, yet everyone pretty much gets along (no constant race riots, etc). It's nice to live in a place where the cops are actually nice, and calling 911 means you will have several vehicles in front of your house within <15mins. It's nice being able to drive around and not worry about accidentally entering the "wrong part of town", because generally speaking, the bad parts around here about equivalent to the good areas in many other places. It's nice living so close to Silicon Valley, which has resulted in a stunning amount of opportunities presenting themselves over the years.

I'm sure it's "nice" living in some of those cheaper states, but suffice it to say, I'm in no hurry to move :cool:

The flip side of the coin is unless you are fairly wealthy the states with a low value for $100 suck to live in because you will spend all your life working and commuting rather than enjoying all those things that are supposedly better. I guess I am a red neck hill billy from Michigan who enjoys not being stuck in a traffic jam for 1 hour every day, I also enjoy pulling right into my drive way I can afford with my multiple cars I can afford so I really couldn't care less if there is a taxi somewhere near by.

Choice is a good thing.

^ there is no end to the amount of people I have met who were sick of over priced big city living on the coasts and sought out good jobs in the Midwest to escape the rat race. The way I see it is if I want to experience the big city life, restaurants or whatever else. I will use some of the wads of cash I saved living somewhere cheaper to visit it. The young fools who think they are going to make it big in the big city can flush their money down the toilet to keep the economy and over priced everything floating so I can visit here and there.

This also brings up another point, you often hear people preaching the efficiency of big city living. But I always ask if it is so efficient then why is it more expensive? Shouldn't it be cheaper to service more people in a smaller area? Why are taxes in these cities often 20% or more higher, why is everything even a burger more expensive? Why do I get 1/4 the house for my budget? Why does it take longer to get everywhere because you are always walking, waiting for a taxi or looking for parking? And what exactly do I gain from all that crap? Maybe the big city efficiency is a complete myth.

The flip side of the coin is unless you are fairly wealthy the states with a low value for $100 suck to live in because you will spend all your life working and commuting rather than enjoying all those things that are supposedly better. I guess I am a red neck hill billy from Michigan who enjoys not being stuck in a traffic jam for 1 hour every day, I also enjoy pulling right into my drive way I can afford with my multiple cars I can afford so I really couldn't care less if there is a taxi somewhere near by.

^ there is no end to the amount of people I have met who were sick of over priced big city living on the coasts and sought out good jobs in the Midwest to escape the rat race. The way I see it is if I want to experience the big city life, restaurants or whatever else. I will use some of the wads of cash I saved living somewhere cheaper to visit it. The young fools who think they are going to make it big in the big city can flush their money down the toilet to keep the economy and over priced everything floating so I can visit here and there.

This also brings up another point, you often hear people preaching the efficiency of big city living. But I always ask if it is so efficient then why is it more expensive? Shouldn't it be cheaper to service more people in a smaller area? Why are taxes in these cities often 20% or more higher, why is everything even a burger more expensive? Why do I get 1/4 the house for my budget? Why does it take longer to get everywhere because you are always walking, waiting for a taxi or looking for parking? And what exactly do I gain from all that crap? Maybe the big city efficiency is a complete myth.

Your entire post harps on the downsides of "big city life". Here in Northern California, the only city that would really apply to is San Francisco, which isn't even the largest city in the Bay Area anymore, overtaken by places like San Jose which hardly represent the "big city life". Most people here don't have any problem owning multiple cars, and many have never ridden in a Taxi in their entire life.

Really? So your gasoline is less than $2 a gallon? A gallon of milk cost $1.50? This isn't comparing housing costs, but costs of goods.

That said I still would not trade the produce that California cranks out over any other state, and yeah even when the entire state is in a major drought!

Overlay it on this map to see how "easy" it is to earn that $100. ;) http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...me.svg/1280px-Median_Household_Income.svg.png

The map in the news post lacks crucial context.

I think the article with this map provides the context that the map you've linked to depicts:

As it happens, states with high incomes tend to have high price levels. This is hardly surprising, as both high incomes and high prices can correlate with high levels of economic activity. However, this relationship isn’t strictly linear: for example, some states, like North Dakota, have high incomes without high prices. Adjusting for prices can substantially change our perceptions of which states are truly poor or rich.

http://taxfoundation.org/blog/real-value-100-each-state

*shrug*

I think you are jealous of the hillbillies and rednecks. They rely on themselves and have more common sense than a lot of city idiots out there. The country folk don't call a plumber, carpenter, pest control or whatever 'cause you aren't smart enough/have the balls to do on their own. They do it on there own so prices are lower. Lower prices mean your dollar will go farther. Maybe if stupid city shits like yourself would learn a few things you wouldn't be so stupid.

I love Texas. The energy industry will continue to pull the rest of the country up out of the mud while the Yanks and lefties hate us.

Back