WD Celebrates 10th Anniversary of My Passport Drives

HardOCP News

[H] News
To commemorate the 10th anniversary of its My Passport line of portable external hard drives, WD®, a Western Digital company, is introducing a sleek new design for the world’s most popular external hard drive lines. More than 60 million My Passport drives have been sold in the past 10 years, providing approximately 42,000 petabytes of content protection for consumers worldwide. The My Passport Ultra™ - Metal Edition™ drive and My Passport Ultra - Anniversary Edition drive represent a decade of refinement for WD’s enduring portable drive line. They feature elegant metal exteriors, up to 2 TB capacities in smaller enclosures, content protection, including backup, and cloud integration for anywhere access to personal content.

Although I've never had a problem with their internal drives,I've had nothing but bad luck with their external ones. Had both original purchase Passport and replacement die on me in less than a week.

The big problem with the 2.5" Passport drives is that they do not have a SATA port on them. Open up the case and its a custom connector. No use to slot into a separate docker to see if you can save anything.

Hence I avoid them.

The big problem with the 2.5" Passport drives is that they do not have a SATA port on them. Open up the case and its a custom connector. No use to slot into a separate docker to see if you can save anything.

Hence I avoid them.

I found that out the other day when it wouldn't load anything. Format and it's working again. Just not a whole lot of confidence...

Back