Cooler Master GXII 650W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Cooler Master GXII 650W Power Supply Review - Cooler Master is a name synonymous with enthusiast computer desktop builds. You have likely purchased one if not more of its products in the past if you build your own boxes. The GXII line popped up on our radar recently, as we were seeing it on many brick and mortar computer store shelves, so we bought one to see what it is made of.

Cooler Master. Great cases and CPU coolers, crappy power supplies. CM needs to completely blow-up their PSU business and start fresh or just get out of the PSU market. But I guess according to the bean counters the extra cash is worth the negative press.

Will it cool my pc once it catches fire ? :p

guess some execs are stuck in the max power psu era , no able to maintain max watts and keep the rails within specs....

Cooler Master. Great cases and CPU coolers, crappy power supplies. CM needs to completely blow-up their PSU business and start fresh or just get out of the PSU market. But I guess according to the bean counters the extra cash is worth the negative press.

cooler master have a wide variety of PSU lines can you say crappy PSU to their Silent Pro series (M and M2) or V series?.. Silent Pro M2 its one of the best series of PSU i've ever seen specially in quality/price i can take all day a M2 720W over a Corsair HX-750 all the day and even more a V700...

idk why people keep talking trash without knowledge of what are talking..

Good review.

One suggestion, and maybe it already exists but I haven't seen it, would be to have a running list on PSU units [H] reviewed, which passed and failed and their manufacturer (not just branding). To have a quick access list, or sticky post.

cooler master have a wide variety of PSU lines can you say crappy PSU to their Silent Pro series (M and M2) or V series?.. Silent Pro M2 its one of the best series of PSU i've ever seen specially in quality/price i can take all day a M2 720W over a Corsair HX-750 all the day and even more a V700...

idk why people keep talking trash without knowledge of what are talking..

I don't like companies that put out crap on the market and lie in their specs, but also have some good products. I prefer those whose lower end lines are cheaper and still maintain a certain quality standard, so my only worry is how much I'm willing to spend, not how much I'll get screwed.

I don't like companies that put out crap on the market and lie in their specs, but also have some good products. I prefer those whose lower end lines are cheaper and still maintain a certain quality standard, so my only worry is how much I'm willing to spend, not how much I'll get screwed.

Yep, exactly. This is especially important when recommend a PSU for a "less knowledgeable" friend because if they don't buy the exact right one they are screwed. I don't want to have to tell them get the "XHL89wq4609-650x" NOT the "XHL89wq4609-650w" because the "w" is crap. Just too likely they will buy the wrong one because it was $5 cheaper and "what's the diff anyways, both are 650w"

If CM does have good PSUs they need to just sell those and get rid of the crap. I'll never recommend any CM PSU because they sell some real crap and I just won't take the risk. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

the quality even in the cheap lower-end market as crap as they are, still are better in comparison to other "unbranded" crappy cheap PSUs.. for example, OMEGA? MUSTIFF? AGILER?. would you trust in a 30$ Agiler 800W PSU 26A in 12V with 1 PCI-E connector with 1 year warranty? or a 35$ Sentey 550W PSU with 32A in 12V with 2x PCI-E connectors and also its semi-modular with 3 year warranty? if you are going to build lot of cheap machines for internet navigation for a cybercafe room would you buy uber expensive high end PSU? or some cheap but good PSU?. you got it?. i think all companies have lower-end lines cheap but still better than those unbranded..

But these gxii series boxes are priced the same as entry-level psus that DON'T SUCK.

For ninety bucks you can do a whole lot better. That is why people complain of deceptive branding: that level of quality should really be selling in the fifty range, which would put it a step above the bottom-barrel shit you already mentioned, but then not even close to competing with quality.

Exactly. There are cheaper better quality products from more respected PSU companies.

Wow. I don't get it.

I generally like Enhance. Seriously. I'm a fan. They make some great stuff for SilverStone. And remember the BFG LX/MX (tooting my own horn here)?

Group regulated? Sloppy soldering? And what's with swapping out the FDB fan for a sleeve bearing?

It's almost like someone took Enhances old design and their BOM and took it to some mystery factory and was told "make this".

Wow. They barely even tried to polish this turd.

Never getting a CM power supply until they clean up their line.

It's kinda sad. A lot of CM's stuff is now good compared to times past, but then we get this... I mean, if you're going to compete in the lower end, at least make sure your stuff is on par or at least close to other larger brands that compete in the same segment with decent units. If it can't pass the hot box at [H], I usually pass on recommending it.

Back