Intel Core i7-5960X Spotted In The Wild?

HardOCP News

[H] News
You'll need a translator to read this page but, according to a rough translation and the photos below, this is a 3GHz Intel Core i7-5960X with 8 cores and 20MB of L3 cache. Supposedly we will see these in retail at the end of this month.

Probably a $1k part, being a retail EE and all.

Not that they have the die area to spare, but having the Crystalwell cache (essentially 128MB L4) would put a nice bow on it. :)

That's it 3.00GHz, happy I went with Intel's Core i7 4790K even though I can't keep the temps down when it 4.5GHz. Serious though 3.00GHz, now I can see why AMD's 9590FX is at 220W to run 5.00GHz especially when Intel's Core i7 4790K draws about 240w @ 4.6GHz OC with VCore 1.275v.

That's it 3.00GHz, happy I went with Intel's Core i7 4790K even though I can't keep the temps down when it 4.5GHz. Serious though 3.00GHz, now I can see why AMD's 9590FX is at 220W to run 5.00GHz especially when Intel's Core i7 4790K draws about 240w @ 4.6GHz OC with VCore 1.275v.

4GHz (OC'd) x 8 cores = 32GHz. That seems awesome, to me! If there was ways to take advantage of that many cores....lol.

lol what are you talking about?.. 240W a 4790K??? that chip at that speed does not even break the 80W barrier at most 90W??.. my 3770k at 4.5ghz under prime95 just draws 80-85W...

Yeah, the reality of the situation, math. Gotcha. ;)

He means that simply adding up the clockspeeds of the cores like that is not a realistic description of how the CPU will perform. The vast majority of users would be better off with 4 cores at a higher per-core clock speed than an 8 core at lower speeds.

I would assume with some proper cooling. Not some crappy AIO cooler but a custom loop. The 8 core Haswell-E's I would assume will OC just like there little 4 core counterparts.

I would expect to get an 8 core to 4.5Ghz minimum just like I would expect to get a 4770k to 4.5Ghz minimum.

I will be upgrading sometime in November/December. I will be pleased if I could get 4ghz.

I hope the 6 core version will be able to provide me with the right balance between performance and cost for my next upgrade. Can't afford those EE premium prices :eek:

Supposedly in retail at the end of the month? I thought Haswell-E and X99 weren't launching until mid-Sept at the earliest. Oh well, doesn't change my timetable. I still need time to process reviews for a bunch of different CPU and mobo models, so I won't be building my new X99-based system until October, at the earliest. Plus I'm waiting for AMD/ATI and nVidia to launch new GPUs. Tonga or Maxwell? Whoever wins shall get my cash.

Yeah this is the $1k high-end part.
The $400-$600 parts will be 6core.

I don't have the link handy but there was post somewhere with a picture of the Haswell-E cooler: similar in shape as the current Intel retail, but the fins are more curved, taller and the core has more copper plus a heatpipe in the center.

I wonder if they are making a new stepping that fixes TSX, or if it stays broken until Broadwell or Skylake.

I'm tempted by the $400-ish 6-core version, but I have a hard time justifying the expense for the performance over a 4.4GHz 2600k.

$1000 for 3.0 GHz. Hahahahahaha

Good one, Intel!

Apparently, Indium solder costs $600 per processor.

$1000 for 3.0 GHz. Hahahahahaha
Good one, Intel!

1) Intel Extreme desktop CPU was always $1000.
2) They ask more for Xeons. The closest thing from Ivy Bridge Xeons is Xeon E5-2650 v2 for $1166 (8 core @ 2.6GHz) or Xeon E5-2667 v2 for $2057 (8 core @ 3.3GHz).

And maybe i am blind, but the pictures show an ES CPU, no ?

Well I am glad I waited now. Looks like this x58 will have to hold me over until Broadwell. It shouldn't be a problem since I can literally play any game out there completely maxed with tons of AA and AF.

I hope the 6 core version will be able to provide me with the right balance between performance and cost for my next upgrade. Can't afford those EE premium prices :eek:

I can :cool:

But I will still wait until Nov/Dec before I upgrade. The 8 core CPU is my dream CPU.

How will it compare with a 4-core i7 with hyperthreading at the same clock speed? Assuming it doesn't have one.

How will it compare with a 4-core i7 with hyperthreading at the same clock speed? Assuming it doesn't have one.

Hyperthreading gives less than 30% improvements even under ideal, highly-parallelizable conditions. So an 8-core no-HT chip running at the same frequency, with the same IPC, will far outperform a 4-core with HT in highly-parallel tasks.

It's academic anyway because the 8-core is definitely going to have HT.

lol

2014 called and wants developers to learn how to code for multiple cores...

I'm running an "ancient" quad core that scarcely uses half it's cores. I don't want any more cores. I just want to be able to use ALL of the cores that I have!

So you'll have 6 cores that do...nothing? CPU's :rolleyes:

Maybe he edits or encodes multimedia, compiles large programs from source, runs virtual machines, participates in distributed computing, or all of the above. There's more to a high-end CPU than just gaming performance.

If you use any kind of 3D package for rendering stuff or work with video rendering/encoding, they scale almost linearly with more cores/cpus, so there are people who would love to have something like this. As faugusztin pointed out, even at a grand this would be notably cheaper than going the Xeon workstation route.

Back