Facebook Experimenting With "Satire" Tags?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Are you dumb? Are you so dumb you can't tell the difference between Onion articles and real news? No worries, Facebook has you covered. :D

A Facebook representative issued the following statement to Ars Technica: "We are running a small test which shows the text '[Satire]' in front of links to satirical articles in the related articles unit in News Feed. This is because we received feedback that people wanted a clearer way to distinguish satirical articles from others in these units." That test has been ongoing for over a month, and while we were told other satirical sites' links have received the same tags, we were not given a list of those sites. Our question about whether the tag would ever appear in other places on Facebook remained unanswered.

Wow.. the level of innovation and experimentation occurring at Facebook is truly awe inspiring!! :rolleyes: <---- sarcastic eye roll smiley for those who need to know if I am being serious or sarcastic

sarcasm_smiley1.jpg

I think most know the Onion is satire, but there are plenty of others that most are less aware of. I think the first Daily Currant article I read, I thought it was real until 3/4th of the way into the article. Most people do not read entire articles (news articles typically are written with that in mind), so while I don't think I need it, I can see how it'd be useful for many. That said, I'll miss the stupid comments that take the Onion articles seriously. They're almost as funny as the the article.

Are people made that their ignorance and stupidity made them look like fools? If so, they've got bigger problems than satirical articles.

It's hard to tell sometimes. I read an MSNBC article and I really can't tell if it's satire or really just some liberal BS that they really believe. Same with the comments. Some are just way out there and their "facts" are horrible.

I search for the article, then read the opposite view (MSNBC vs. Fox, for example). If it's satire, you'll know. Most satire is really out there and ridiculous. Do more research. Of course, the mainstream media has got caught publishing satire as real news because they copied someone else's satire post... :)

It's not just Americans, my foreign pal. Stupidity is universal.

Back