Destiny: Mars Gameplay Trailer Released

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Due to be released on September 9th, Bungie is beginning to ramp up its promos for the upcoming Destiny on PS3/4 and Xbox360/Live platforms. The latest trailer shows action on the red planet, Mars.

Looks good, but the Total Recall-ish "super red" mars look is kinda passe and not really accurate...

But we can blame Nasa for upping the red tint on virtually all of their Mars imagery since the 70s for that one. Look at some of the few non-altered images, or those from the ESA and you'll see Mars pretty much looks like much of Arizona, blue skies and all.

Looks good, but the Total Recall-ish "super red" mars look is kinda passe and not really accurate...

But we can blame Nasa for upping the red tint on virtually all of their Mars imagery since the 70s for that one. Look at some of the few non-altered images, or those from the ESA and you'll see Mars pretty much looks like much of Arizona, blue skies and all.

Not really accurate. From my understanding it was the opposite of how we see it at earth: more blue during the dawn/twilight hours and that darker yellowish color during the day. Also, I thought I read about NASA and other agencies adjusting color for identification purposes as far as soil or rocks are concerned.

Otherwise, I'd agree the red is way overdone in media.

Not really accurate. From my understanding it was the opposite of how we see it at earth: more blue during the dawn/twilight hours and that darker yellowish color during the day. Also, I thought I read about NASA and other agencies adjusting color for identification purposes as far as soil or rocks are concerned.

Otherwise, I'd agree the red is way overdone in media.

Yeah, I believe it varies a lot on the amounts of dust at any given time, but overall the hazy red sky look doesn't really happen in reality except maybe during a severe storm in certain regions. Unaltered pictures usually are either clear blue or faint yellow.

As far as the colorizing goes, NASA has claimed the identification thing, as well as saying they make images "look better" for media consumption purposes... but it's been well documented that, from the very first landings and images sent back, Mars footage was *highly* red tinted to make the planet look "more alien" and to fit peoples preconceived notions of a "red planet."

It's taken decades for this to change, but early on NASA and the government were *terrified* of anything "out there" looking Earth like, and did everything they could to discourage the idea that life could exist anywhere on Earth because of the fear and instability they thought it could have on society.

^^
Meant to say.. discourage the idea that life could exist anywhere but on Earth

Though I suppose it could be taken to mean intelligent life doesn't really exist here, and that would be pretty much accurate...

Back