Would You Pay to Watch Vimeo?

Ha... I haven't used Vimeo yet. I see it on XBMC, but never used it.

That guy in that video is doing a scripted style editorial and has to splice it together, makes it annoying to watch/listen to. I can see spontaneous style videos spliced together to cut out the dead spots and uh and ums, but if you are reporting something, don't cut it together like that.

oh, and I wouldn't pay to watch the vids, let the ads pay for it.

I haven't been to Vimeo in a while, but no I wouldn't pay. Vimeo is going about it all wrong. Give content creators more freedom, unlike YouTube with flag everyones content and giving the rights over to some company. Give me less ads when I go see a video. Do I really need to see a full video commercial just to watch some crummy video online?

I already pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime, so I have no desire to pay for more video services, especially something that is like YouTube (never actually used Vimeo so don't know what it is like). If you can't get by on ad revenue, then you probably need to shut down.

The subscription model is dead. Every company is trying to push for this to some degree, and it's turning people off left and right. Was storing all your data local too much trouble? How about the cloud for just $9.99/m? Was buying games and downloading them too much trouble? How about cloud gaming for $9.99/m? Was playing multiplayer games too mainstream? How about Xbox Live, PSN, or World of Warcraft for $9.99/m.

What's that? Watching YouTube videos too easy to do? How about adding $9.99/m for no good flipping reason?

Unless they start uploading actual movies/shows, I don't see any reason to pay for it. And if it is paid, there better be zero ads.

I hate watching free videos in Vimeo's player..why on earth would I pay for that?

No, I won't pay for this especially since there are other services that do it for free.

I agree with the whole either give me ads to watch the video like youtube.

But at the same time I have found this website http://www.startrekcontinues.com/

They from what I can tell exclusively use vimeo. Now, I don't want to pay to watch but if they charged say $0.99 per show and there were no commercials I may go for it. This is only because this interests me.

In the end I have no reason to use or direct my attention to vimeo except for the above mentioned case.

Dang no edits..... But sorry there is a youtube option... my bad :) I just seen it late.

Not unless the content is much better than YouTube quality and there is plenty of it. Also, if I'm paying I don't want ads. I've been trying to explain that to my local cable company without much luck. Oh well, it's not like I need cable anyway.

Absolutely not. I will pay to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime and sometimes Hulu but I won't pay shit to watch Vimeo or Youtube.

Wait... 10% of the ad revenue?

So you're paying to watch ads? I did that with hulu for a while... it's not worth it. I have cable. (Not my idea) and I'm kind of sick of the idea of paying to get advertised to. I don't mind so much if it's integrated and not annoying but tv ads or video ads in general are not that.

I use vimeo a lot, it's s really good Pandora like service for music videos.

Is it just me, or is Vimeo the hipster version of YouTube?

never in a million years would i PAY to watch any videos that were previously free.. same thing with news.. and you know what, they still shove Ads down your throat even after you paid for the content, just look at movie theaters.. so would might eventually try to sneak them in anyway

Basically and it is just as crap as Realplayer was if you remember that.

I remember Realplayer; what an awful piece of software. It was riddled with adware too and installing it was guaranteed to infect your computer with something unwanted.

As the service is now, no.
If you paid a small sub and were able to remove adverts then I could see some people willing to pay.

Youtube hooked us on free. If you are just offering what amounts to youtube content, I for one would not be willing to pay.

I won't even own a hulu+ subscription because no way in hell am I paying for anything with adds.

The thing is that this title and even the story is a little bit misleading. What this is really about is would you pay to watch certain content online.

If you actually watch the video it talks about how a few people have created content on Vimeo that is behind a pay wall. It has nothing to do with Vimeo charging you to watch content, but is that they have given YouTubers a way to create certain content that people can pay to watch. The part that gets me is the Vimeo is only paid 10% of the money made off of ads... why would people that pay for content have to watch ads those. If anything I think they should have made it they get a certain percent of the money (like 2%) and the videos are ad free. probably would give them more money, and would make viewers happier.

With this program they mentioned 3 people that are doing content where you pay a few bucks and get to watch a movie made by somebody or in the case of one person, think it said she will do 20 minute shows that cost like $2 to watch.

This in a way gets to what do you think the value of content is and are you willing to support a person that you enjoy the content of. I, along with at least a few others on here, are fans of Rooster Teeth. I am a sponsor on there site as I enjoy their content and want to support them and get access to special content that only sponsors can see. I know others do not pay for sponsor. This same discussion came up here a few months ago when YouTube started to consider on their own of starting up a service where people could charge access to content.

This is just the Vimeo version of that and it appears that yes, people do want to go the route of trying that as a method to distribute indy movies and shows.

I'll pay for good content, but only a reasonable amount.

If I want to watch an hour of TV show X over the air, I get what.. 20 minutes of commercials? To "buy" the same thing streaming to watch as much as I want until the license holder no longer has a deal and my "bought" title goes poof. Costs about $2.99. Buy the whole season, about $35. Buy the whole season on blu-ray.. about $11 (which is absurdly cheap, and not the norm which seems to be $20, or around a $1 per episode). Renting the HD stream costs me $1.99.

The superbowl last year was the most watched programming ever. It garnered about $2.50 per person watching it in ad sales at $4 million for 30 seconds. Scripted shows rarely break $400k per 30 second spot although they do split it amongst fewer eyeballs. The big bang theory is the top priced show outside of football. Each commercial is worth about $0.017 per viewer.

Streaming is kind of expensive. Although there is margin for jacking up the price by the notion of a cheaper ala-carte experience over cable for example, that line of reasoning doesn't matter much until there is enough take up of the model that one can actually assemble their desired ala carte programming lineup. For now it is an additional cost and it is a premium.

This is a shit company. A few years back they just randomly decided to disallow gaming videos, their reason was that the videos are typically pretty long and were monopolizing transcoding time. Cry me a fucking river... A short time later, all existing videos (that had already been transcoded obviously) were deleted from their site also.
tard.gif
Just goes to show you that they will shit on you and your videos if they decide that you aren't convenient for them.

I'll pay for good content, but only a reasonable amount.

If I want to watch an hour of TV show X over the air, I get what.. 20 minutes of commercials? To "buy" the same thing streaming to watch as much as I want until the license holder no longer has a deal and my "bought" title goes poof. Costs about $2.99. Buy the whole season, about $35. Buy the whole season on blu-ray.. about $11 (which is absurdly cheap, and not the norm which seems to be $20, or around a $1 per episode). Renting the HD stream costs me $1.99.

The superbowl last year was the most watched programming ever. It garnered about $2.50 per person watching it in ad sales at $4 million for 30 seconds. Scripted shows rarely break $400k per 30 second spot although they do split it amongst fewer eyeballs. The big bang theory is the top priced show outside of football. Each commercial is worth about $0.017 per viewer.

Streaming is kind of expensive. Although there is margin for jacking up the price by the notion of a cheaper ala-carte experience over cable for example, that line of reasoning doesn't matter much until there is enough take up of the model that one can actually assemble their desired ala carte programming lineup. For now it is an additional cost and it is a premium.

So your answer there is yes, you would pay to watch a show or movie on Vimeo. As this is not a question of would you pay $X for a subscription for would you pay $1.99 or $2.99 or something like that to watch a single movie or show on the service if people posted it with a charge to watch instead of making it free.

Really, it depends on the quality of the content. If they were to offer shows that no one else did, maybe. But, I don't think they'd get much exclusive content. I have Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime, so I'm not hurting for content. The stuff they have now? Nope. No way. I see little value in it. Definitely not with the ads.

Back