SSD Pricing Plummets

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you have been putting off that SSD purchase until the price is right, the time to buy may be at hand. OCZ has introduced a new line of lower priced SSDs, which in turn is causing overall pricing to fall.

The move which is seen as being forced on the company by Intel’s own price cuts mean a change in OCZ's strategy.

Yeah, that is strange. $440 for 160GB?:eek:

Yeah that's a "plummet" in price?? Maybe if it's a very high end ultra expensive one that no one bought so they reduced the price and is blaming intel's pricing strategy as a result.

dNmT2vD.gif

OCZ SSDs are now Toshiba SSDs, from what I can see, totally different.

Which begs the question why the hell they kept the OCZ branding...seeing as the OCZ brand is not well thought of for just about any computer part I can think of.

Which begs the question why the hell they kept the OCZ branding...seeing as the OCZ brand is not well thought of for just about any computer part I can think of.

Makes perfect sense to me. There are not many well informed and educated people like yourself out there who know the history of OCZ. I used to purchase their stuff all the time, though never had one of their SSD's, however they are still recognized as a good brand. It's a good thing that Toshiba will be making their SSD's.

Yeah, that is strange. $440 for 160GB?:eek:

The numbers in this article don't make any sense. They quote two of Intel's "new and cheap" drives that are around $3 per gig, and then in the next paragraph they mention 50 cents per gig.

Dunno what's funnier, that site posting an article from 2009 or H reposting it.

Dunno what's funnier, that site posting an article from 2009 or H reposting it.

Its NOT an article from 2009, that's the oddest part. The OCZ ARC 100 was just recently released a few days ago, meaning that the article must be new as well.

But for some reason the author decided to price compare a brand-new SSD to an SSD from 2009.

Crucials newish MX100 range is where I'd be looking first, but its really good to see these having another big step down in price.

I could let me cat walk around on my keyboard for a few minutes and likely end up with a more coherent and accurate article than that.

But would you buy an AMD SSD? That's what those are going to be - Toshiba SSDs with the AMD name instead of the OCZ name.

??????

kinda curious what u mean by this..

also, i have no qualms buying a ssd from OCZ personally. I think toshiba will that brand well.

I paid $200 for my 128 gig ssd years ago. Im not seeing the plummet.

5 - 10 years ago their psu's were solid. Can't remember the oem who made them though. Had a fatality branded 550w that was abused to shit and still is in my shop as a emergency/back up

ssd's seem to be price fixed. They've been at 40-50c per gig for too long.

I was expecting them to be 25c per gig by now.

I had waited for years myself, nice to see it happening.

Finally took the plunge and bought a couple Samsung EVO last Thanksgiving.

Didn't even know OCZ was still in business myself, I still have some old fast DDR2 in the wifes computer that were a very limited sale at the time that didn't last long very long.

I new journalism was at an all time low, but reruns from 5 years ago really?

OCZ drives got mostly favorable reviews from tech sites.

Reading this article was made all the worse by my being buzzed. I thought about thinking about it, then thought it wasn't worth the thinking.

Making an SSD about double or 2 1/2 times more performance than a regular HD at a cheaper price would be ideal. I think at some point you don't really notice as much difference in performance from a 3x vs 5x the performance of a regular HD for most people.

Came into thread thinking that terabyte SSDs are now $299 but was disappointed.

Back