Windows 'Threshold' Tech Preview Coming Late September?

HardOCP News

[H] News
ZDNet, citing anonymous industry sources, claims that Microsoft will be launching a Windows 'Threshold' tech preview in late September.

Microsoft is aiming to deliver a "technology preview" of its Windows "Threshold" operating system by late September or early October, according to multiple sources of mine who asked not to be named. And in a move that signals where Microsoft is heading on the "servicability" front, those who install the tech preview will need to agree to have subsequent monthly updates to it pushed to them automatically, sources added.

Sounds reasonable to me to have it push you automatic updates every month.

I will keep an eye out for this release to play with it.

Windows XP preview release date late-October 2000
Windows Vista preview release date mid-October 2005
Windows 7 preview release date mid-September 2007
Windows 8 preview release date mid-September 2011

I can see why Mary Jo needs to protect her sources, especially since even a monkey could guess that the Win9 preview would most likely be released in September or October.

It was dirty launch, eh? :p

LOL! Two words that certainly need more than an 'l' separating them. The 7 beta launch was a resounding success however. The beta launch got more acclaim than the RTM launch. I suspect that this launch of 9's will be huge in terms of interest and critique. I doubt that many on 7 will run out and start using full time like many did replacing Vista with the 7 beta. But if it's a technically complete and stable release, it will be interesting to see how quickly it is adopted as a full time OS.

LOL! Two words that certainly need more than an 'l' separating them. The 7 beta launch was a resounding success however. The beta launch got more acclaim than the RTM launch. I suspect that this launch of 9's will be huge in terms of interest and critique. I doubt that many on 7 will run out and start using full time like many did replacing Vista with the 7 beta. But if it's a technically complete and stable release, it will be interesting to see how quickly it is adopted as a full time OS.

You forget who you are talking about. People will run out to get it. then will complain that it isn't 100% stable or that some feature isn't fully complete and that Microsoft should test their stuff better before releasing it. Then they will get mad when the RTM version comes out and they can't keep any of their stuff on their systems. Then complain about how Microsoft doesn't understand how much work that is for a company to have to reinstall every machine AGAIN once the RTM version comes out after they just installed the entire company with the preview version.

You forget who you are talking about. People will run out to get it. then will complain that it isn't 100% stable or that some feature isn't fully complete and that Microsoft should test their stuff better before releasing it. Then they will get mad when the RTM version comes out and they can't keep any of their stuff on their systems. Then complain about how Microsoft doesn't understand how much work that is for a company to have to reinstall every machine AGAIN once the RTM version comes out after they just installed the entire company with the preview version.

Your could be right on with this assessment. But certainly Windows 7 betas received a much warmer welcome and a lot of people started running 7 betas as their primary fulltime OS. I simply wondering which it well be with 9. If the rumors of 9 pan out in this release and if it's stable with the same efficiency gains of 8 that even some 8 opponents acknowledge, I could see a large population of 9 beta users like 7.

As much as 8 is considered a failure, there's a tremendous amount of capability in it. It literally supports just about everything in the world of mainstream computing. Keep all of that capability and then fix the UI issues that many are complaining about, and then it's like damn.

Your could be right on with this assessment. But certainly Windows 7 betas received a much warmer welcome and a lot of people started running 7 betas as their primary fulltime OS. I simply wondering which it well be with 9. If the rumors of 9 pan out in this release and if it's stable with the same efficiency gains of 8 that even some 8 opponents acknowledge, I could see a large population of 9 beta users like 7.

As much as 8 is considered a failure, there's a tremendous amount of capability in it. It literally supports just about everything in the world of mainstream computing. Keep all of that capability and then fix the UI issues that many are complaining about, and then it's like damn.

I full agree

@pxc i think windows 7 preview released late jan early feb of 09.
A developer tech preview (not public preview), which is what this thread is generally about ("Windows 'Threshold' Tech Preview...", for Win7 was released to developers around the time of PDC in 2008 (which was in October 2008, so I made a small mistake above). The Threshold developer pre-release will also be given out at PDC around that time too, because that's when MS does these types of developer pre-releases. That's why I ridiculed Mary Jo over her "super-secret" tip. :p

There were non-public previews of 7 in late 2008, the first pubic beta came in 2009.
What part of developer tech preview is confusing? Those have been coming out for years and I could go back to Windows 2000, ME and 9x (I'd have to dig out the MSDN CDs to check the dates) if you need a refresher.

lol

Back