ASUS Radeon R9 270X DirectCU II TOP Video Card Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ASUS Radeon R9 270X DirectCU II TOP Video Card Review - Today on our test bench we have the fastest AMD Radeon R9 270X offering from ASUS in the form of the ASUS DirectCU II TOP model. We will compare it to a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 to see who reigns supreme at just over the $200 price point. We will compare it to a GeForce GTX 760, and overclock the R9 270X as high as it will go.

When did the 270X become the direct comparison to the 760? Shouldn't you be doing the comparison against the 280? You mention it at the end, but the 280 DC II doesn't cost more than the 760 DC II. The 270X DC II is actually one of the most expensive 270X's, which is the only way this comparison even looks like it makes sense.

Edit: Other than that though, great job as always. :D

When did the 270X become the direct comparison to the 760? Shouldn't you be doing the comparison against the 280? You mention it at the end, but the 280 DC II doesn't cost more than the 760 DC II. The 270X DC II is actually one of the most expensive 270X's, which is the only way this comparison even looks like it makes sense.

Edit: Other than that though, great job as always. :D

The logic for comparing the 270X and 760 is pretty solid, they perform roughly the same in nearly every benchmark. This just shows the value of the 270X vs the 760. It is pretty customary to pit Red vs Green as well and the 280 may not be an option as it requires higher cooling and power requirements.

I echo your comment that it was a great review though.

The logic for comparing the 270X and 760 is pretty solid, they perform roughly the same in nearly every benchmark. This just shows the value of the 270X vs the 760. It is pretty customary to pit Red vs Green as well and the 280 may not be an option as it requires higher cooling and power requirements.

I echo your comment that it was a great review though.

Overall though 270X's are quite a bit cheaper than 760's. In the comparison link here the 280 DCII is still $30 cheaper than the 760 DCII and you get 3gig of RAM. Just saying.

The R9 280's pricing has been all over the map over the past few weeks. When the comparison was decided, a few of the R9 280's that we looked at were pricing in the $230+ (up to $250, its MSRP) range which put it a bit outside the 270X's intended price target. On the green side, the best comparison was the 760, however, I'd say that price vs price, the 760 should match up with the 280 instead of the 270X. Only a few days before publication did the R9 280's seem to drop to the just over $200 mark (specifically, the ASUS DirectCU II R9280-DC2T-3GD5 was around $240 at TD, Amazon and the Egg from early July until mid-week last week when all 3 sites dropped it to $225ish less a $20 MIR).

Overall, comparison card selection is tough to do as pricing can be a moving target. However, I do find it odd that a pricing overlap is occurring between the 270X and the 280....

Just bought a Sapphire R9 270X for $164 after MIR to try and give me poor Phenom II X3 BE a helping hand for today's games. Coming off an HD 5770 I'm hopeful.

The R9 280's pricing has been all over the map over the past few weeks. When the comparison was decided, a few of the R9 280's that we looked at were pricing in the $230+ (up to $250, its MSRP) range which put it a bit outside the 270X's intended price target. On the green side, the best comparison was the 760, however, I'd say that price vs price, the 760 should match up with the 280 instead of the 270X. Only a few days before publication did the R9 280's seem to drop to the just over $200 mark (specifically, the ASUS DirectCU II R9280-DC2T-3GD5 was around $240 at TD, Amazon and the Egg from early July until mid-week last week when all 3 sites dropped it to $225ish less a $20 MIR).

Overall, comparison card selection is tough to do as pricing can be a moving target. However, I do find it odd that a pricing overlap is occurring between the 270X and the 280....

I noticed this as well. I've been thinking 760 vs 280....but haven't been a fan at all of Radeon binary drivers under Linux :-/ WIth that being said my Linux box has a 670 which works fantastically with steam and I might just go for the 280 as an upgrade for a 6850x6870 xfire setup on Win7.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. As they say, "The only constant in life is change." :cool:

Great review, love the DCUII coolers from Asus. Sometimes I want them to cut off the second fan for smaller cards to prevent them from becoming extremely long cards (looking at you 7850) but over all great cooler.

I agree with the closing comments, I instead went with the 280, was considering the 270 but seeing as the 280 was a mere $25 more at time of purchase I just went for the much faster product.

Back