Amazon Halts Preorders of Some Disney Movie Discs

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Amazon is flexing its giant corporate muscles at another industry giant, Disney. First it was a contract dispute with Warner Home Video, then book publisher Hachette and now a contract spat with Disney. It’s probably small beans to all three companies involved as well as Amazon, but the company looks to be making a statement for future negotiations.

The situation is reminiscent of an apparent dispute between Amazon and Warner Home Video in which preorders of discs for "The Lego Movie," "Transcendence," and "300: Rise of an Empire" vanished from the site earlier this summer.

I really don't know what to think in this and similar cases...

If Disney is requiring Amazon to sell at a specific price and not giving Amazon the margin it wants that is one thing.

If Amazon is just trying to bully a lower wholesale price so it can under-cut everyone else that is a whole other issue.

I really don't know what to think in this and similar cases...

If Disney is requiring Amazon to sell at a specific price and not giving Amazon the margin it wants that is one thing.

If Amazon is just trying to bully a lower wholesale price so it can under-cut everyone else that is a whole other issue.

Disney loves to price fix its movies. Look at almost any retailer and they are all basically the same price and rarely go on sale. Most other movies get under $10 within a year of release, Disney movies stay in the $25-$30 range all the time.

Just means I take my business elsewhere is all.

Amazon isnt the only place to shop with decent prices. I got my copy of The LEGO Movie locally and paid less than what Amazon ended up charging once they did list it.

Looks like I'll be doing the same for some other titles as well. No biggie to me.

If I were Disney I would give Netflix an exclusive streaming deal for a couple of years and pull all my materials from Amazon Prime and Amazon Digital ... strong arm tactics can work both ways and Amazon isn't always the one with the high road in these negotiating discussions

If I were Disney I would give Netflix an exclusive streaming deal for a couple of years and pull all my materials from Amazon Prime and Amazon Digital ... strong arm tactics can work both ways and Amazon isn't always the one with the high road in these negotiating discussions

Disney has their own streaming service. In my opinion Disney is going above and beyond to control their prices. Putting content in the "Disney Vault" for one example. Check ebay and Amazon for Beauty and the Beast, Bambi, The Lion King, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. It shouldn't cost $50 or more to get a movie on BluRay, especially a classic you want to share with your children. As previously said, prices also pretty much stay around MSRP.

Disney has their own streaming service. In my opinion Disney is going above and beyond to control their prices. Putting content in the "Disney Vault" for one example. Check ebay and Amazon for Beauty and the Beast, Bambi, The Lion King, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. It shouldn't cost $50 or more to get a movie on BluRay, especially a classic you want to share with your children. As previously said, prices also pretty much stay around MSRP.

Exactly, look at Frozen on blu ray. It has been around $25 for a long time anywhere you go, including amazon. Pretty ridiculous.

Ehh...

Disney signed this deal in the US with Netflix for the next few years with titles being added as contracts elsewhere expire.

Will never happen. Disney wants full control over their movies. Last year Disney pulled all digital movies (even fully own digital copies) from every service as they wanted people to not be able to rent them for Christmas. Given that Disney likes to treat their stuff like a treasure you should be sucking their dick to watch I wouldn't find it hard to believe that the issue would be related to Disney wanting to set their prices to what they want higher than everyone else and keep it set to a higher price.

The high price of Disney movies even pisses me off and I don't even have kids! One of my friends has a few young kids and they were constantly tearing up the Disney DVDs. He got tired of shelling out crazy $$$ each time so he ripped them to a HTPC and bam, no more shelling out $$$ to keep replacing those movies. He gets a headache every time a new Disney movie comes out that they want. His poor wallet screams. :eek:

Having a three year old daughter, I can definitely say that Disney is ridiculous with their DVD pricing. This is exactly the reason I don't buy Disney films for my little one. Disney's loss. I don't usually support Amazon, especially with the book thing because I do feel they are pushing the publishers/authors too hard for low prices. Disney on the other hand need a little pressure.

Screw Amazon. If Valve puts something on sale on Steam they do it in partnership with publishers. When Amazon does it they do it the same way Walmart does, by bullying suppliers, publishers, and content creators.

Price fixing and using their power to enforce it.

Screw Amazon. If Valve puts something on sale on Steam they do it in partnership with publishers. When Amazon does it they do it the same way Walmart does, by bullying suppliers, publishers, and content creators.

Price fixing and using their power to enforce it.

Uh.....It's actually the content publishers that are guilty of price fixing here.

Back