HP DL180 G6 (I hope I have not made a mistake!)

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Hey all,

I'm expecting my DL180 G6 in the near future. In the meantime I was doing some more poking around.

Originally I looked at the HP manual for the server to confirm VT-D support. In the BIOS settings section (page 143 of the pdf) it mentioned enable/disable VT-D so I assumed I was safe.

Then I came across this post.

So now it looks like I have conflicting information.

The Xeon L5640's support VT-D according to intel, but that won't do much good if the server refuses to enable it.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I absolutely need VT-d support for my setup. Did I make an expensive mistake by ordering one of these? If so, I hope the seller will take it back, as the specs suggest VT-d support. (and they offer a 30 day warranty)

Appreciate any thoughts!

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
My HP 160 G6 shows that passthrough (VT-D) is available. Maybe it was a bios update to enable it? That last message was 2009 when these servers were still newish.

My HP 160 G6 shows that passthrough (VT-D) is available. Maybe it was a bios update to enable it? That last message was 2009 when these servers were still newish.

That's a sigh of relief!

Thank you for that!

Also,

I see that you are running 5.1

Is that because its not officially supported in 5.5?

Zarathustra[H];1041010744 said:
Also,

I see that you are running 5.1

Is that because its not officially supported in 5.5?

It's actually 5.5, but it was 5.1 install updated to 5.5.

Those of you with DL180 G6 experience...

Do your drives run hot?

I set up my new ZFS volume with 12 spinners (5400rpm WD RED Drives) and 2 SSD's (2x 6 drive RAIDz2 VDEVs plus a mirrored SLOG for ZIL)

According to smart all the drives attached to the backplane are running rather hot, ranging from 58C to 65C during no/light load :O

Not surprising that they would be warm, it is rather tight in there, but this is higher than I expected!

Is this just how they are? Do I need to be worrying about the health of my drives?

Alright.

I've had it with this server. Going to do what I should have done from the beginning, build my own.

Norco case and Supermicro motherboard on the way. Going to harvest CPU's and RAM from the HP server, and try to sell the rest as a barebones server either in FS/FT or eBay.

Just done fighting with this thing.

If you think your fan modding & airflow skills are better than mine (or noise tolerance is higher than mine) I know where one might be available soon :p

Back