Casey Hudson Leaves BioWare

HardOCP News

[H] News
A statement on BioWare's blog says that Casey Hudson, whose credits include Neverwinter Nights, MDK2, Knights of the Old Republic and the Mass Effect trilogy, has decided to leave BioWare.

After what already feels like a lifetime of extraordinary experiences, I have decided to hit the reset button and move on from BioWare. I’ll take a much needed break, get perspective on what I really want to do with the next phase of my life, and eventually, take on a new set of challenges.

This is whats going to happen - He will form a new studio, make a new IP that's going to become big, and then sell out to EA again. Rinse and repeat.

Just look back, Battlefielde series have gone to shit, ME, and numerous other titles.

This is whats going to happen - He will form a new studio, make a new IP that's going to become big, and then sell out to EA again. Rinse and repeat.

Just look back, Battlefielde series have gone to shit, ME, and numerous other titles.

What's wrong with that?

Dude gave me Mass Effect, my all time favorite game. He's alright in my book and I wish him the best.

What does my dislike of EA crapping on IP matter to his life decisions?

I know right. I find it so damn funny that people take this so personally. I mean this is his job to make money and support his family, not make games and then get financial backing from a huge corp just to be shitted on by the keyboard army.

Wish him the best.

Was going to happen sooner or later, EA is no place for that kind of creative talent.

Too much emphasis on one designer. Last I checked it takes a team of people to make a game, not a single person. At least not AAA games anyway. Look at John Romero, which people somehow still respect. He created a few good games early in life and now just makes crap.

It's hard to get a team of people who work well with each other to make a game. It's that group effort that makes good games, not one person.

What does my dislike of EA crapping on IP matter to his life decisions?

more likely he was fired

ll take a much needed break, get perspective on what I really want to do with the next phase of my life,

is executive speak for "i was shit canned"

Dude gave me Mass Effect, my all time favorite game. He's alright in my book and I wish him the best.

He's one of the many people responsible for the Mass Effect franchise. While he deserves some credit for that, he and Mac Walters are the biggest reason why ME3's ending blew horse cock right after it was pulled from a cows ass with dysentery. You can literally tell which parts of the game were written by Drew Karpyshyn and which ones were the butt babies of Mac Walters and Casey Hudson.

He's one of the many people responsible for the Mass Effect franchise. While he deserves some credit for that, he and Mac Walters are the biggest reason why ME3's ending blew horse cock right after it was pulled from a cows ass with dysentery. You can literally tell which parts of the game were written by Drew Karpyshyn and which ones were the butt babies of Mac Walters and Casey Hudson.

Somehow I believe moreso that they were limited by time rather than (lack of) talent. I imagine the entire game being broke up into chunks and the ending was purposely left for last, but when their schedule became increasingly behind, they had to just throw together whatever they could from the assets they had already completed for the ending(s).

Bound by contract they couldn't reveal any of this (ever), and you get the situation we had; where they made all these huge promises, failed to deliver (and knew it), but were forced to go corporate-bullshit-mode when the fans brought backlash. The DLC they threw together was then another attempt to fix things, but they were already way past the point of no return; it would had taken a massive amount of Retcon'ing to fix it.

All hope for Mass Effect 4 succeeding is lost. WHY EA!? WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME!?

How does anyone know this shit is related to EA and that it is EA's fault? How do you know that ME3's ending was EAs fault? Frankly the Ending in EA wasn't that bad, people just bitched because it felt you didn't accomplish much for all that effort, WTF do you think real life is like anyways? The endings to some situations are inevitable why shouldnt that be reflected in a video game?

How does anyone know this shit is related to EA and that it is EA's fault? How do you know that ME3's ending was EAs fault? Frankly the Ending in EA wasn't that bad, people just bitched because it felt you didn't accomplish much for all that effort, WTF do you think real life is like anyways? The endings to some situations are inevitable why shouldnt that be reflected in a video game?

Tell me this, when has EA purchasing a company ever produced better results?

Tell me this, when has EA purchasing a company ever produced better results?

I didnt see anything wrong with Mass Effect 3's ending. There are plenty of EA games that are good, and continue to be good even under franchises. You cannot say the ending of Mass Effect 3 was due to EA when ea didnt write the damn game. People just look for any excuse to blame a parent company/publisher when they dont like what the writer/designers did.

Too much emphasis on one designer. Last I checked it takes a team of people to make a game, not a single person. At least not AAA games anyway. Look at John Romero, which people somehow still respect. He created a few good games early in life and now just makes crap.

It's hard to get a team of people who work well with each other to make a game. It's that group effort that makes good games, not one person.

I don't know. I don't get the Carmack circlejerk, either. Sure, the guy has some talent, but he's not a one man team. If he made a game, by himself, it wouldn't be as good as any of the others with a whole team. Same with any designer. It takes a group of talented people to make great games.

I didnt see anything wrong with Mass Effect 3's ending. There are plenty of EA games that are good, and continue to be good even under franchises. You cannot say the ending of Mass Effect 3 was due to EA when ea didnt write the damn game. People just look for any excuse to blame a parent company/publisher when they dont like what the writer/designers did.

EA didn't write the game but it was the first product put out by Bioware after EA purchased them. And it was complete Shit. I think Bioware overextended with the MMO game SWTOR and needed the bigger pockets to finish it. Look what happened with that in the end.

For the longest time Bioware wasTHE studio to trust for a good RPG game in the US that rivaled the JRPG games that were out there.

Sadly that is no longer. Now we are left with one large independent developer clutching to life with their own MMO. I wish them luck. Go Bethesda you can do it!

Sadly that is no longer. Now we are left with one large independent developer clutching to life with their own MMO. I wish them luck. Go Bethesda you can do it!
Well, that would be great, except...Bethesda isn't a "large independent developer." They are owned by ZeniMax, a billion dollar-plus company which also owns id and Arkane.

Oh, and the MMO to which you refer (Elder Scrolls Online) is a product of ZeniMax Studios, not Bethesda.

Atleast Zenimax stays away from Bethesda and isn't rushing them for releases. EA does not treat it's partners well.

I think Bioware overextended with the MMO game SWTOR and needed the bigger pockets to finish it.

this is 100% what happend SWTOR was taking longer then expected and more money
they need a fast cash infusion to get it out the door
so they sold there soul to EA to get SWTOR out the door....

Back