eBay Has More Women Employees Than Other Tech Giants

HardOCP News

[H] News
eBay finally released a diversity report of its own today. According to the numbers, eBay has more female employees than all the other tech giants.

While we are committed to fostering all types of diversity, increasing the number of women in leadership roles has been an early focus. About three years ago, eBay Inc. President and CEO John Donahoe launched our Women’s Initiative Network (WIN). The mission of WIN is to attract and engage women to build lasting, successful careers in the company.

Explains why it sucks!

So agree.

Explains why they keep changing the layout for the worst turning it into a treasure hunt trying to find stuff that used to be just there. And why the costs keep going up and up.

This whole diversity trend will come to tears when they finally realise it's all bullshit and that talent is what matters, not what junk you have in your pants. It's actually insulting to women to focus on putting them in "high" positions just because they feel the guilt to from the femanazis. As for wages, women have always earnt more than me in every work place I've been in.

Can you imagine being stuck as a guy in one of the eBay offices. I mean, how many hours of pointless chatter about yoga and romance novels could you endure before you offed yourself.

Colour me very disappointed with the reaction on [H]. A good friend of mine is very senior within eBay. She got there by merit, not by being female. Which is as it should be.

Colour me very disappointed with the reaction on [H]. A good friend of mine is very senior within eBay. She got there by merit, not by being female. Which is as it should be.

You don't see the difference though? You even say "She got there by merit", yet when a lot of men get their by merit it's not a very diverse workplace

You don't see the difference though? You even say "She got there by merit", yet when a lot of men get their by merit it's not a very diverse workplace

There's equality of opportunity and equality of result. I tend to the former.

i wont go near ebay anymore. After being ripped off $500 by a korean IPS seller and having all the paypal protection basically say too fucking bad, im done.

Must be the reason they raised the fees up to around 15%

I don't see how anybody sells on Ebay and pulls a profit or even manages to break even.

Can you imagine being stuck as a guy in one of the eBay offices. I mean, how many hours of pointless chatter about yoga and romance novels could you endure before you offed yourself.

Eh, the looks even it out.

Another thing about eBay is that all they do is provide a platform for other people to sell things. They don't actually produce or invent anything themselves. Their users provide the inventory and find the customers, they just take a small cut. Everything important that happens on eBay is handled by users.

Thus, they probably have 90% customer service personnel. Their whole jobs probably involve sorting out credit disputes and handling payroll. With a few executives making important decisions and a few web designers rearranging the site.

Women aren't uncommon in customer service, or in payroll/accounting positions. Thus, working for eBay isn't exactly breaking the glass ceiling. The highest positions in that company are more like mid-level positions in a normal company. All they have to do is maintain the infrastructure and not screw things up.

I personally think that more attention should be paid to female engineers and programmers. I think their accomplishments are more impressive because those fields are so dominated by men. Individual accomplishments by women in male-dominated fields are more meaningful than a company as a whole managing to hire a certain number of women.

It's 42% women, 58% men. eBay hallway chat is still going to be more about the last girl bagged rather than the last time on the rag. ;) Bring on the hot office coworkers!

I am sure if they did a diversity report on my company, it would be 60% women, 40% men - 1% alphas.

On the plus side, if I am ever single again, it would take about a day to find an attractive coworker - there is no competition!

On the downside, every day is like being trapped in a cage full of whiny cats.

It's 42% women, 58% men. eBay hallway chat is still going to be more about the last girl bagged rather than the last time on the rag. ;) Bring on the hot office coworkers!

I am sure if they did a diversity report on my company, it would be 60% women, 40% men - 1% alphas.

On the plus side, if I am ever single again, it would take about a day to find an attractive coworker - there is no competition!

On the downside, every day is like being trapped in a cage full of whiny cats.

How to end a career the fastest way possible, take a dip in the company pool. Never ever ever ever EVER date a coworker if you are a man unless you just like gambling with getting fired.

There's equality of opportunity and equality of result. I tend to the former.

Equality of opportunity: willing to hire based on merit, regardless of demographics

Equality of result: willing to hire based on demographics, regardless of merit

Is this another thread full of men's rights activists declaring the obvious truth: any staff statistics with disproportionate gender and race representation can only be the result of pure merit based hiring? I love these.

How to end a career the fastest way possible, take a dip in the company pool. Never ever ever ever EVER date a coworker if you are a man unless you just like gambling with getting fired.
I am sure large percentages of people originally met their spouses at work. Boning the receptionist during your lunch break is still stupid, but dating someone outside your department is certainly doable. You see the person often enough that you can take it slow to make sure both parties are interested, before rushing into some career ending blowup. eHarmony stats back that up.

So what are the major alternatives to work/school for a "real man?" Looking at eHarmony's pi chart it's:
#1 getting matched up by family/friends - you can probably do better than this
#2 online dating - is this the future or will this make everyone more anti-social?
#3 bar/club trawling - easy for a one night stand and STDs, not so much for future spouses
#4 church - agnostic/atheist? Forget it.

Now if you work in the marines? Dating outside of work might be a good idea. :cool:

This certainly explains why all their fees have gone up so much over the years. Trying to tackle that 42% overhead.

Back