Online games with immersion? weird question I'm sure.

phalnax

Weaksauce
So I recently got back into PC gaming after a five year hiatus ( minus RTS games, because that's something I've done since I was a child fortunately ). Bought Guild Wars 2 because I really enjoyed the first one and thought it was very anti-MMO. Well, I did not enjoy GW 2 at all. I am not sure what it was, the graphics were beautiful as was the character design and environment but it just felt too much like I was playing an MMO...as opposed to an immersive online fantasy world.

I realize the number of players is bound to make the world seem less "real" and socializing seems shallow, even in a guild ( some of them are HUGE ). I also miss click-to-move.

Any suggestions for online rpg's that I can play with small groups of people and having a good, old-school fun experience of dungeon crawling, loot finding and monster slaying? I'm open to genres. Moba, rts, rpg, fps...anything you suggest that is somewhat immersive and can be played together with a few players online via matchmaking.

I crave social gaming, but without 9 million players saying " ANYONE DOING "INSERT GENERIC QUEST NAME HERE " ".

Played the Diablo 3 starter ed, really enjoyed it. I'm not sure if multiplayer is as much fun, I don't see why it wouldn't be but opinions are appreciated.

I would say give the Old Republic a try. I thought the questing was pretty immersive. It was the best questing experience I've had in an MMO. Usually when I hit max level on an MMO I usually don't know what has happened during the "journey" but when I hit max level in the Old Republic I pretty much knew what happened on each planet and how it affected the story. Its also free to play so if you don't like it you're not out any money.

The elder scrolls online seems like something that could fall into what you're looking for. I haven't gotten around to playing it beyond the beta, but it felt like skyrim in an online world.

Thanks, are they action rpg-ish or click-to-move and turn based?

I was contemplating trying TOR but I've had so many failed attempts at starting new games lately that I'm hesitant haha.

Any thoughts on Torchlight 2? Or Diablo clones?

Try Rift it's way more immersive then Guildwars 2 GW2 is hand holding so it's not as fun.
I think they tried to appeal to the Asian market with that game.

Maybe check out ffxiv. It's an mmo but it's storyline is really nice if you can get passed a very slow start. Click to move works but you'll find it unnecessary. Just a thought. I've had nightmares getting the game to work for me on my 295x2 but I still like it.

Thanks, are they action rpg-ish or click-to-move and turn based?

I was contemplating trying TOR but I've had so many failed attempts at starting new games lately that I'm hesitant haha.

Any thoughts on Torchlight 2? Or Diablo clones?

TOR is tab targeting, like WoW. Its free so the only thing it costs is time and bandwidth to try.

mmo's by their very nature are ANTI immersion...chat boxes, gold sellers, annoying nameplates, pets, similiar if not exacts clones of player characters, npc's that do the same thing over and over and over...i remember coming back to swtor and there was a guy STILL cleaning the floor...

the most recent mmo i've tried that has the most immersion has been elder scrolls online

the world 'felt' pretty good

good luck

Maybe check out ffxiv. It's an mmo but it's storyline is really nice if you can get passed a very slow start. Click to move works but you'll find it unnecessary. Just a thought. I've had nightmares getting the game to work for me on my 295x2 but I still like it.
If I wanted to play another MMO I would definitely go with FFXIV. The story in FFXI was so amazing, and all the major story points require you to party up. The world also felt very real just running around gettting to where you need to be, or waiting for and taking an airship to a destination, or just shopping and crafting around town. For the most part the FF community is also very friendly and helpful. FFXIV looks like it has kept these key features.

I don't think there is going to be an MMO that feels the way you want it to. By their very nature you have stuff like mob respawns and repeatable quests/missions (albiet by other players) that will completely destroy immersion.

I'd try Elder Scroll Online or The Secret World though.

Get a pen and paper game going with some friends over roll20.net?

Diablo, Torchlight, and not what I'd even remotely start thinking about trying to call immersive.

Thank you for all the advice. It looks like I may have to try to make some real life friends...how awkward is that? With wife and child, it seems a tad weird to roam the streets of Phoenix saying " Hey you guys want to join my party? Yeah, we're going to play Baldur's Gate 2...yeah. Now...let's go. "

I have realized that the experience I'm looking for is not out there right now. I'm really disappointed I couldn't enjoy GW 2 more, because it looks amazing. But hey, who knows I may still find a guild with less than 50 people in it. Thanks again guys and sorry if my "standards" seem too high, clearly I don't know what type of game I'm looking for.

Definitely excited for Pillars of Eternity though.

Back