Gamasutra Explains: The YouTuber Phenomenon

HardOCP News

[H] News
Are games developers seriously talking about making games that cater to YouTubers?

"I now believe there's a direct correlation between how good your game is and how many unique YouTube videos it can yield," Gears of War creator Cliff Bleszinski recently said. "The YouTubers have taken over, folks!" The way games look on video is now fundamentally affecting how Bleszinski makes them -- and he isn't an upstart, but someone who's already found massive success making games.

Here's a thought:
If a game is good, then lots of people will play it. Make good games and inherently people who deal a lot with other types of media will praise and share it.

Don't say games need to cater to certain crowds of people. Bleszinski is just trying to stay relevant somehow as always, but the argument he's making is fucking stupid.

Here's a thought:
If a game is good, then lots of people will play it. Make good games and inherently people who deal a lot with other types of media will praise and share it.

Don't say games need to cater to certain crowds of people. Bleszinski is just trying to stay relevant somehow as always, but the argument he's making is fucking stupid.

Yeah, I really don't see how he's going to target youtubers. Put 15second ads before every level and after each checkpoint?

Funny, most of the games I watch on YouTube are ones I played as a kid and couldn't beat. Now I get to watch someone else do it! Oddly satisfying to at least see someone beat Battletoads!

Video games that cater to youtubers?

Isn't that Garry's Mod? CAUSE ITS ALL I FUCKING SEE YOUTUBERS PLAY LATELY

Gotta milk that ad revenue somehow!

Video games that cater to youtubers?

Isn't that Garry's Mod? CAUSE ITS ALL I FUCKING SEE YOUTUBERS PLAY LATELY

Gotta milk that ad revenue somehow!

Don't forget to subscribe to their twitch stream, donate to get the top donator of the day mention, and pay for their exclusive content on patreon!

There are plenty of genres that are becoming more prevalent due to the popularization of streamers. Do you really think LoL and Dota would be so popular without them? Dev/Pub's see this and they want to make games that can reach that demographic, people that'll buy a game but spend more time watching someone else play it than play it themselves. Who wouldn't want that?

Funny, most of the games I watch on YouTube are ones I played as a kid and couldn't beat. Now I get to watch someone else do it! Oddly satisfying to at least see someone beat Battletoads!

I'd like to watch someone beat Ghosts and Goblins. Except that it's never happened anywhere ever. (quote for someone to go on youtube, find a link, and post it in reply, to make me look like a fool).

I didn't know Ciffy B was back.

All the most popular LP channels are horrible. Must be a lot of 12 year olds.

The problem with all the Let's Plays or streams lately is people only stream content that they can make money off of

So you see endless:

-Minecraft
-Valve games
-LoL
-Indie games
-Crappy flash games (HI HAPPY WHEELS!)

etc etc etc

Nobody plays anything they like anymore if they stream, its just to make money

Back