Video Game Documentary As Vacuous As Games Themselves

HardOCP News

[H] News
This video game documentary is as vacuous as games themselves? If calling video games "mindless" doesn't get your blood boiling, I'm sure this quote will:

We are led down a rabbit hole of mendacity about how video games are good, how they have a unique and fundamental role in society (that will never dissolve, only change form), and how we’re only now beginning to understand and explore how they can improve human existence. Pardon me for being a naysayer, but bah humbug! What a colossal load of tripe!

Gee...an opinion piece from an obscure local news outlet in Alberta, Canada.

Rabble. Rabble rabble.

Hehe. Scott Hayes. Ex movie critic...hehe. Odd that they would put his direct email and phone number on this page....

cceimg

He says, more than once, that he has better things to do than play video games, and that video games are a waste of time. Not as much of a waste of time as reading his article was. At least if I was playing video games instead I would have been entertained.

What an ego.

He says, more than once, that he has better things to do than play video games, and that video games are a waste of time. Not as much of a waste of time as reading his article was. At least if I was playing video games instead I would have been entertained.

What an ego.

What I find most interesting about this, is that he found writing that column about something he felt was a time waster, was worth his time to write. Seems a bit odd to me.

A lot of forms of entertainment are mindless... there's nothing really wrong with that.

What I find most interesting about this, is that he found writing that column about something he felt was a time waster, was worth his time to write. Seems a bit odd to me.

It's masturbatory. The sole intent of the article was to display his perceived superiority.

He must be able to see clear to Moose Jaw from that high horse. If "growing out of them" and "having better things to do with my time" for this guy means anything other than writing awful articles and playing lots of shitty golf, I'd be very surprised.

He's right about the documentary being heavy handed, with it's pseudo-spirituality. It reminds me of an awful hipster video where everything becomes spiritual and soul-searching. Like this one:

http://vimeo.com/55420992

If "growing out of them" and "having better things to do with my time" for this guy means anything other than writing awful articles and playing lots of shitty golf, I'd be very surprised.http://vimeo.com/55420992

Exactly.

From the article: "Oh, so video games actually qualify as intelligence boosters? That will certainly dishearten all of those 12-year-olds sitting on the side of their schools pushing buttons on their iPods or handheld Nintendo DS consoles instead of playing soccer or shooting a few hoops during their lunch breaks."

Did anyone here ever go to a school where you could go outside and play sports over lunch? I wonder what kind of world this guy lives in.

The only perspectives regarding a subject I will value are those of someone well versed in the area of review.
This ignorant man genuinely believes he can pass judgement on something he even admits he doesn't engage in.

Low-IQ + ego + ignorance = AVOID!!!!

Did anyone here ever go to a school where you could go outside and play sports over lunch? I wonder what kind of world this guy lives in.

My high school if you had over a 3.0 or 3.5 you could do whatever you wanted with any free time, so technically you could have. But no one went outside to play sports. And no one really sat inside playing Game Boys either, that I can remember. People either went across the street to smoke cigarettes or drove to McDonald's.

Was someone paid real money for this incredible poorly written piece of opinion "journalism"?

"Pardon me for being a naysayer, but bah humbug! What a colossal load of tripe!"

How eloquent and informative - quite profound.

While on the subject of computer game documentaries, I enjoyed Charlie Brookers' How Video Games Changed the World.

St. Albert is like 20 minutes from where I live.

Yeah this guy is completely out of touch. This says it all "In short, this movie is really only for people who play video games more than they want to talk to their children or parents, or spend an afternoon in the garden." Who the fuck WANTS to spend an afternoon in the garden?

Exactly.

From the article: "Oh, so video games actually qualify as intelligence boosters? That will certainly dishearten all of those 12-year-olds sitting on the side of their schools pushing buttons on their iPods or handheld Nintendo DS consoles instead of playing soccer or shooting a few hoops during their lunch breaks."

Um yes lol. 5-12 grade had organized intramural sports every lunch period while gyms and fields were open to students with their own equipment or they could check out equipment.

Um yes lol. 5-12 grade had organized intramural sports every lunch period while gyms and fields were open to students with their own equipment or they could check out equipment.

I know of schools that had intramural sports. Mine didn't. We just talked in the lunch room in our little cliques.

To be fair, I heard this documentary was garbage.

At first I assumed he was reviewing Indie Game. But this isn't it. Yeah, it's probably crap, but his complaints don't seem to be about the documentary at all, but instead it's topic.

To be fair, I heard this documentary was garbage.

It's not bad. It's a lot of nostalgia, and if you know gaming history, you already know almost everything in the movie. It's for the newer generation of gamers that want to know what they missed. Some people are angry because they say everyone is a gamer - from the hardcore to the Angry Birds to Facebook users...

My main complaint - No Sega. They pass over it every time. Probably mentioned the name twice, but never really went into any detail.

in truth isn't any activity that only benefits yourself, potentially a waste of time from someone else's perspective?

in truth isn't any activity that only benefits yourself, potentially a waste of time from someone else's perspective?

Why stay inside reading books? You want to learn something new? NERD! What a waste of time.

So bitter, so very bitter and sour.

It was a heavy layer of salt on a big fat juicy lemon. The kind so strong you get blisters from the acid on the inside of your mouth.

He has his personal thoughts and opinions -of course- does he not get that his poorly thought out purple prose is not fact like he seems to think?

Well more washed out, blotchy, blue in temperament, purple prose is actually liked by some.

Exactly.

When I was 12 (elementary school, obviously) we always played sports outside during recess/lunch. Basketball, soccer, or football would be the most likely candidates, with other schoolyard specialties here and there like British Bulldog or Red Ass/Peg (and apparently various other names).

I'm not gonna read the guy's article but I can at least agree that kids would be better served getting some exercise during their recess/lunch breaks.

Guy's just trying to meet deadlines. If typing up a "vacuous" polemic on video games is what it takes to feed his family, I guess you can't blame him.

I'd rather have my daughter playing a video game than just watching TV. A video game challenges the mind. You take in input. The video signal. You process that signal. Finally you produce an output. Controlling the mouse/keyboard/gamepad. Many of which require quick thinking such as Mortal Kombat, Raiden 2 and Tetris etc. Or complex thinking and planning for games such as the Sims and Sim City.

Its better than sitting in front of a TV absorbing what you see with little output.

Back