Sprint Sells A Plan That Only Connects to Facebook or Twitter

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not saying there aren't people out there that would go for a plan like this....I'm just saying I've never met one. :D

For about $12, Sprint will soon let subscribers buy a wireless plan that only connects to Facebook. For that same price, they could choose instead to connect only with Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest—or for $10 more, enjoy unlimited use of all four. Another $5 gets them unlimited streaming of a music app of their choice.

If they would offer a $12 unlimited googlevoice / "hangouts" plan I would happily grab it.

What a load of crap, Id rather get 500mb and decide what i do with it. If I were one of those website's owner I be pissed at sprint for charging directly for accessing my site.

I don't know what's worse, the fact that this exists or the possibility there might actually be a market for it.

Reminds me of this:

net-neutrality.jpg

Huh, so I wonder how easy the restricted access will be to get around? They wouldn't do something as lazy as to "lock" you into a Facebook-only DNS server, would they?

Yo dawg, I heard you liked monopolies, so we put a monopoly in your monopoly so you can monopoly while you monopoly.

Just what we need, large and powerful telcos restricting web access to other partnered large monopolies. Seriously inspired to put on some blue facepaint and slap Mel Gibson on the ass to charge with pikes.

How about..... a plan that makes sense at a price that makes sense.

No?

Fuck Sprint.

And so it begins.

I doubt it will last though. People won't like being unable to follow links they seen on facebook to youtube ect. And Facebook won't like people being unable to follow mobile advertising links.

Or you could just sign up with Ting and get phone, text and internet for $15-20 a month depending on usage, from the Sprint network. I was spending about $400 a month on business plan with Sprint and switched over to Ting and get the same exact service for about $120 a month. OK, that came off a bit spammy, but I have been looking for a catch and can't find one. Oh, you will need to bring your phone or buy a new one... but no matter how you run the numbers it will save you money.

$27 for all of the options or $35 a month for unlimited data on Virgin Mobile.

This plan is for people who are bad at math.

Or you could just sign up with Ting and get phone, text and internet for $15-20 a month depending on usage, from the Sprint network. I was spending about $400 a month on business plan with Sprint and switched over to Ting and get the same exact service for about $120 a month. OK, that came off a bit spammy, but I have been looking for a catch and can't find one. Oh, you will need to bring your phone or buy a new one... but no matter how you run the numbers it will save you money.

The catch is usually that you don't have any roaming or you need to pay for it, and you don't have network priority given how bad sprints network has been lately this could be rough. The only other issue is often these services have limited or no options for the best current phones. From what I have seen those are the 3 big issues that keep coming back when I think about moving carriers.

There are 2 other things that sprint offers that I find hard to quantify with other carriers. Femto cell (airave) which I get 2 for abour $4/ month. And insurance on phones. Wifi calling implemented well could eliminate the airave need. But insurance would be a bit of a pain since I would probably have to source it from someone else.

makes me really hope Sprint doesn't buy out T-Mobile...

That plan would be more attractive if it were Skype instead of Facebook. I wonder why they don't just let people apply their minutes to Skype calls instead of the data plan? It is more or less a phone call.

Instant messaging, e-mail, and phone updates should all really be exempt from caps. Those are basically essential and don't take that much of their bandwidth.

I can understand capping movies, app downloads, and music that take a lot out of the network, but I don't understand applying the cap to low-bandwidth stuff I could easily do on a 56k modem.

I wish the carriers could have just blocked people from watching movies over 4G and 3G, rather than apply these blanket caps on everything.

Back