My first SFF build? Need case recommendations plz and PSU

JNavy89GT

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm not super up on the latest and greatest and have never really delved too much into SFF aside from a small shuttle HTPC build years back.

Anywho, here is what I was thinking

I have already an AMD 7850K and Asus A88XM-A motherboard. Ram I have Mushkin black 2400+ memory.

I would like to buy an AIO 120mm cooler to put in whatever case you recommend.

So I need recommendations on what case you think will fit my motherboard best, and what AIO cooler? Also, what PSU given the case recommendations.

As small of a system as possible is a plus as I don't have a ton of desk space as it is. I don't want something in the way; although putting under my desk is a possibility. Price IS a FACTOR though as my budget isn't what it used to be :(. Guesstimate on budget for case, psu, and AIO cooler $200 or less if possible. Case doesn't have to be uber great in quality, but I don't want something that is total junk either. Bang for the buck is important. Any extra $ I have, aside from the budget given will likely make it's way to upgraded graphics at some point like a R265/270 or 750ti etc... I have a spare SSD so that's good.

At work, for lack of a better explanation I am scheduled certain activities and have down time at others. During down time I generally surf and sometimes do mild gaming on my Dell 17" laptop with i7/Radeon Mobile 4650 gpu. While the laptop is generally fast enough for most things, games like Bioshock infinite, borderlands 2 chug it down pretty bad due to the gpu. I'm thinking that using one of my older 22" LCD's and this small build will allow me better performance in games, and for surfing etc... the AMD APU should be fine. I don't do any other cpu intensive tasks that I can think of anyway.

thx for the info all!

Last edited:
How soon do you need the parts? Sometime this month, I believe a Silverstone Sugo SG13 will be released. It's similar in size to the current SG05 which is a bit old. I'll waiting until then to take a look at it and see what people think. It's the 'shoebox' format/style.

Other potential contenders?: CM Elite 110, Rosewill Legacy U2 (if you prefer the traditional tower - upright look).

As for psu, I prefer SFF power supplies if you don't already have an ATX PSU that can fit. Silverstone supposedly has some new ones this month, too. If one can't wait, their 450W modular one is what I'd choose. I think other posters know far more about AIO coolers than I do. I have little idea of what to get but I'm looking at the H60 if I went AIO. It's not the best but usually can be found at a decent price.

MSI has 'itx gaming' video cards that are at a shorter length than the same series of cards, so their gtx 760 and R9 270X itx cards might be worth consideration? The majoriity of 750 Ti cards will fit no problem.

How soon do you need the parts? Sometime this month, I believe a Silverstone Sugo SG13 will be released. It's similar in size to the current SG05 which is a bit old. I'll waiting until then to take a look at it and see what people think. It's the 'shoebox' format/style.

Other potential contenders?: CM Elite 110, Rosewill Legacy U2 (if you prefer the traditional tower - upright look).

As for psu, I prefer SFF power supplies if you don't already have an ATX PSU that can fit. Silverstone supposedly has some new ones this month, too. If one can't wait, their 450W modular one is what I'd choose. I think other posters know far more about AIO coolers than I do. I have little idea of what to get but I'm looking at the H60 if I went AIO. It's not the best but usually can be found at a decent price.

MSI has 'itx gaming' video cards that are at a shorter length than the same series of cards, so their gtx 760 and R9 270X itx cards might be worth consideration? The majoriity of 750 Ti cards will fit no problem.

http://www.sff-tek.com/silverstone-introduces-sugo-sg13/ says it is a mITX case. That is a mATX board you have linked

Nice catch. My bad. Should have looked at it more carefully.

I don't really look at mATX cases much. I prefer a smaller format now. Either mini-itx or a laptop. :)

For micro-ATX cases, my picks would be:
BitFenix Prodigy M
Cooler Master N200
SilverStone SST-PS07B
Rosewill Legacy U3

I prefer lightweight (as possible) and smaller is better than a larger tower. Of course, volume is important for how much room you have inside. The BitFenix Prodigy series is probably better as a micro ATX case than mini-ITX?

From what you've described,you should get a Silverstone PS09.
It is small,good quality, and cheap. It is also mATX so your motherboard will fit,and a 120mm AIO will mount on the rear exhaust, there is no fan there (due to its price)

Back