7 Ways Technology Is Making You Stupid

HardOCP News

[H] News
If this list is accurate, most of us probably have the brains of a drug addict by now. The good news? Technology has made us too dumb to realize it.

7. You Have The Brain Of A Drug Addict.

No, “internet addiction” isn’t just some BS term parents throw around to terrify youngsters who spend too much time playing Candy Crush. Spending too much time on the internet can actually cause changes in the brain that mimic those caused by drug and alcohol dependence, according to a 2012 study.

Being an internet addicted alcoholic chainsmoker must mean you'll be dead by 30. Or at least have the cognitive abilities of a banana.

Being an internet addicted alcoholic chainsmoker must mean you'll be dead by 30. Or at least have the cognitive abilities of a banana.

I'm a Chain Smoking Internet addicated, and I don't.......... what are we talking about again? :rolleyes:

I've put electrical tape over all blue leds on stuff in my bedroom. 3/4 of the gadgets that have these things don't need them at all. They are very annoying when trying to sleep. Even got rid of my clock. If I need to know the time I just check my phone.

The rest just seems to be the usual "kids today are so stupid" BS articles that get published every year.

Hmm... Then in my opinion people need to evolve and adapt due to these new conditions, and become able to handle tasks in short bursts, transfer working memory faster, and filter blue light to achieve a restful state more quickly. These things aren't going to go away any time soon (unless the world is destroyed in some fashion anyway). Hurry up! Evolve damn you! Evolve!!!

my phone screen has been broken for a month and I have been getting perceptibly smarter since...I can remember 4 whole phone numbers now

It's not accurate. It's a bunch of BS that people throw out there to encourage an emotional response and get idiots to throw power their way to "fix the problem." The problem with this is that we are all going to pay the price for the idiots believing them.

Hmm... Then in my opinion people need to evolve and adapt due to these new conditions, and become able to handle tasks in short bursts, transfer working memory faster, and filter blue light to achieve a restful state more quickly. These things aren't going to go away any time soon (unless the world is destroyed in some fashion anyway). Hurry up! Evolve damn you! Evolve!!!

*Attempts to evolve* Noooooo! Not fast enough!

Seriously though, I agree. Time to get used to the new world.

Retarded. My memory is bad, but it has always been bad. As for concentration when reading, utter bull. I've been using computers more and more as I grow and I've gotten more and more into reading. It's dependent on your interest.

I've put electrical tape over all blue leds on stuff in my bedroom.

The blue LEDs meter magic levels within computer components.

Haven't you ever let the "magic blue smoke" out of electronics? Once the smoke is gone, they no longer work!

Sounds like the movie, "Idiocracy". One of my favorite scenes is when the main character is at the emergency room admission desk describing his ailment and the girl behind the counter is attempting to find all the buttons to press to describe his ailment. Eventually, she throws up her hands in surrender because what he described is not all on the buttons ... so, she doesn't admit him. (Wow)

In real life, I've run across many cashiers who can't make change without the cash register (er terminal) telling them the amount of change to give back to the customer.

Sad, actually ...

1) I manually calibrate My PC screen's color temperature.
2) I don't carry gadgets around. If I need to concentrate on something, I close the chat windows and focus on what I'm working on or reading.
3) I've been described as an encyclopedia with feathers. No memory problems here.
4) When 500 years you reach, remember as much you will not, hmm?
5) I read through an entire article first, then decide if I want to click on anything.
6) No GPS here, and I do not get lost. Ever.
7) Well duh! If someone forgoes food and sleep they've got a serious problem!

The technology in and of itself is not the problem. It's what people are doing with it that's the problem. It's like driving a car. Learn how to do it right, drive responsibly, and don't be an impatient ass and you'll probably avoid most accidents. If you're never taught what to do and what not to do, don't take it seriously, and have a completely irresponsible mindset, of course you're going to wreck and wreck often. The car's not to blame in either case. If you want to look at the internet and stupidity I'd say the people being made stupid by the net were already well on that path to begin with. Bad parenting, bad genes, improper education - and by this I mean not being taught how to pay attention and how to learn and concentrate - are what lead to people making the kind of poor choices that lead them to be distracted, unfocused, addicted, or what have you.

Back