Should I have bought a Mac?

Similarly specced 13" rMBP pro would be nearly identical price wise. You would get iris pro for graphics over the intel 4400. That is pretty much the only hardware difference I noticed besides the higher resolution screen obviously. Unless you have a desire to use OSX over windows then I don't see any particular reason to choose one over the other without knowing more about your use.

Personally I would have gone for the rMBP because the mac trackpads are light years ahead still. I do like the crispness of the retina display but I run my 15" at 1680x1050 since otherwise I don't have enough work space. Lastly I enjoy using OSX for my daily driver and school laptop.

-Ignore what I said about the processor. The one in the rMBP appears to be much higher clocked. with a turbo speed up to 3.5ghz and it is a dual core i7 with HT similar to the one in your sony. I don't know the exact model in the rMBP but it appears much more powerful.

You "should've" bought whatever machine best suits your uses.
No one on this forum can tell you what to buy or what you should've done.
Different computers and OSs are for different things. Get what you need to get whatever work you want to get done. If it's a Windows machine fine, if it's a Mac, also fine. I guess you could ask this question again in the mobile forum and ask if you shoulda got a machine to install BSD on instead...

It seems like you're already using PC's, I don't really think it makes a whole lot of sense to buy another machine in a different ecosystem unless you have work requirements that dictate you need to, or have plenty of work around solutions for the industries that you're in.

I own the same model Sony Vaio. I personally run Linux on it. Much more gratifying experience! :D
I run Windows when required of course. Dual boot is a necessity still unfortunately... I can't say that I would've purchased a Mac over this... Mac doesn't allow for the same amount of customization. As such, I prefer what I have! :)

At that price I would have gotten the mac, its better specced. You get 256gb more ssd storage, better processor, better screen, better looking. I would have went with the mac on storage alone.

Use the hardware for whatever you want, it's not locked down to OSX entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a doorstop after you install Windows on it? Use the hardware for whatever you want, it's not locked down to OSX entirely.

It's just trolling. I guess someone could be arrogant enough to ignore multi-million/billion dollar industries that all rely on OSX and Macs, but I'm just going to assume it's simply over expressing an opinion.

It would be easier though if people just acknowledged that something wasn't for them, rather than it being "the worst thing ever", or using some other set of superlatives.

You'd be looking at a similarly priced rMBP 13'', with similar specs. The advantage of the mac being you can always run windows via bootcamp....yet you can't run OSX on the sony. I personally would of bought the mac, but then again I'll never buy another PC laptop.

I also would have gone for the Mac. They tend to hold their resale value a lot better than any other manufacturer. And with Sony cutting off Vaio, you may lose support in the future if they don't survive.

I'd NEVER buy a Sony laptop... every single one I've ever seen has been a piece of overpriced junk. The Macs are overpriced, but at least you have superior build quality to compensate for some of it.

Only if you're doing image editing or some sort of other creative need.. If you game or.. well do anything else its a pointless waste of money.

Only if you're doing image editing or some sort of other creative need.. If you game or.. well do anything else its a pointless waste of money.

I'd disagree -- at the end of the day, he'd still be getting a well-built laptop with a really nice battery, display, keyboard, storage and trackpad. It's overkill if all you're doing is writing college essays, but you do get what you pay for.

A quick slightly off-topic question...

Is it "safe" to game on an Ultrabook such as the VAIO Pro 13? Can the cooling system cope with the heat? I am asking because when the anti-virus scan runs on my VAIO Pro 13, the fans gets blaring loud. If a virus scan causes that much "fan load", what would gaming do?

Back