GTX X80

SinOfLiberty

Limp Gawd
What we have:

9GRoFrD.png

Also,

I got a view of the flagship, the retail sample. It is a very large card, bigger than 780Ti.

So big, it won't even fit inside the Koelnmesse.. the unveiling will be held outside :D

You're gonna make me watch a 2-hour podcast just to find a 2-second snippet where Nvidia actually acknowledges the existence of the 800's but says nothing else about it, aren't you?

At 1:39, Tom says "The 800's are going to be awesome! Keep your eyes peeled at Gamescom for a special announcement.. we've already got some folks deep in the trenches, busy making new 2nd-gen Maxwell threads, spreading rumors, and building that sweet green hype. All I can say is, it's gonna be more powerful and more cheaper than the 700's.. and it's gonna be so huge, you'll love it!" Rev then replies, "Yeah, and fuck ARM cores and TSMC's 20nm fab!"

They then proceed to high-five.. twice.

:D

It is in the end when they talk about it.

So you must be the guy deep in the trenches greasing the wheels then. ;)

I honestly don't want a big card. It would be worth holding off until mid-late 2015 for the refresh. Apparently they're pimping the 800's out with a rapid release cycle to the 900's from the sounds of it. Pretty sure they know Day 1 there is going to be controversy.

It is in the end when they talk about it.

Lol. Waded through the last 20 minutes of crap about gaming tablets and G-Sync displays, and finally found it @1:40:10..

When asked about the 800-series, Tom said "Well I'm not surprised, because they know it's going to be awesome. If it is indeed the next product, right? It may not be, whatever it is. Could be toenail clippers.. Nvidia toenail clippers."

So there you have it. MaximumPC readers are certain that the 800-series will be awesome, while the Nvidia rep thinks they're probably just gonna be some big, stinky 28nm toenail clippers ;)

I honestly don't want a big card. It would be worth holding off until mid-late 2015 for the refresh.

Yeah, I definitely want some smaller cards, but I've waited over a year for Maxwell already.

Just a random thought, though.. how difficult would it be for them to design half a Titan-Z into a short card 2nd-gen Maxwell format? Would basically be the specs of a downclocked 780Ti with 6GB VRAM, and 200W TDP. I'm thinking the cooler might be an issue if converted from triple-slot to double-slot..

EeL1hOe.jpg

I'd buy that for $500. Baby Titan!

PIxgpBE.png

From 16:00 and from 14:00 on Saturday 26 [announcement] July, at Sofmap Akihabara reuse Integrated Research Building special space, I will be done the "product special session in Akihabara MSI summer". NVIDIA will also conduct a talk for the latest information on GeForce. http://nvda.ly/zzj0y

^ Interesting. 1st of the month, and start of the weekend.. should have some new leaks coming, if nothing else.

Can you have a card with 448Bit BUS and 8GB Mem on It?

Or only 512/256 BIT can have 8GB?

I'm not the best to probably answer this, but last I researched it was something like having 32 bit controllers for every couple memory chips instead of having them all 64 bit. Basically, you'd be gimping the bandwidth to those chips on the 32 bit controller to make odd Nvidia style bus sizes. I don't think there is anything stopping them, it just makes more sense logically and probably cost/design wise to think of things as all 64 bit controllers operating at the max theoretical bandwidth.

That's how I understand it unless someone can clarify further.

So, Vodeocardz suggest that 880 really will be mainstream card, and the flagship will appear later on? 680 all over again...

$450ish dollars? There is no way it will be that cheap and be at or above the 780ti performance. If it is...nope. No point getting my hopes up. Not even sure if videocardz is a reliable source.

That's $450 for the card.

The required NVIDIA-branded anti-static bag will set you back an additional $150.

http://videocardz.com/51117/exclusive-nvidia-geforce-gtx-880-released-september

$450ish dollars? There is no way it will be that cheap and be at or above the 780ti performance. If it is...nope. No point getting my hopes up. Not even sure if videocardz is a reliable source.

Doesn't seem that ridiculous to me, this card is supposed to come out in September and it will have been over 8 months since the 780 Ti's release by then.

Everything points to the 880 being a mid-range part also, the true successor to the 780/780Ti/Titan will come later, and at a exorbitant price most likely.

Doesn't seem that ridiculous to me, this card is supposed to come out in September and it will have been over 8 months since the 780 Ti's release by then.

Everything points to the 880 being a mid-range part also, the true successor to the 780/780Ti/Titan will come later, and at a exorbitant price most likely.

If it is at or above the 780ti at $450, then there are going to be soe ridiculous price drops. I don't see that happening.

If it is at or above the 780ti at $450, then there are going to be soe ridiculous price drops. I don't see that happening.

It's happened before. The 8800 Ultra started at like $800 and could be had for $200 a year or so after its debut.

I think we're due for a price correction in the GPU market really... prices on 4K displays are going down fast while GPUs have mostly stagnated. You can get a 4K monitor for around $550 now but you'll need $1000 in GPUs to properly drive it, at least on the Nvidia side. Can't remember the last time there was a gap like that

no flagship has ever launched at $450. the 780 was $650 at launch. why on earth would you even consider 450?

no flagship has ever launched at $450. the 780 was $650 at launch. why on earth would you even consider 450?

the 680 launched at $500, same as the 580 it replaced, and was considerably faster

Although technically a mid-range part it was the flagship at the time of release (780 didn't exist yet).

If this card is only as fast or slightly faster than a 780 Ti -- I don't see why $450 is out of the question, given the 680's debut.

Whatever the new card is, if it's faster than the 780ti then it's a flagship card. If they're able to die shrink it and increase performance, then we'll see a new derivative part that'll become the new flagship. It's not like something has to be considered a midrange part just because it's going to be eclipsed in 6 -12 months.

That's a picture from 2012..

http://www.tech.sc/nvidia-gtx-600-ti/

God, I really hope they're not making a stupid hybrid air/watercooled card like the 295x2.. though, this would explain the "bigger" rumors.

I just don't have room in my case for a CLC.

NV have never made a hybrid card AFAIK.

They usually put middle fan on a gpu with 2 processors on. 690, ext..

This is(what is hinted in pic) an ES but can definitely make it into the retail sample too.

If this card is only as fast or slightly faster than a 780 Ti -- I don't see why $450 is out of the question, given the 680's debut.

If that would be the case, then super sale on 780ti's...:D

I wouldn't buy a new 780ti for anymore than $400 and a used one for $275.

Wouldn't they stand to make more money by just cutting the prices on their current line-up?
There's no reason for them to eat the costs of releasing a new card, only to sell it for less than their existing cards, for very small or no performance gains. If the GTX 880 can't even beat the 780 Ti @ $450 then it's more of an embarrassment than anything else. The almighty Maxwell outdone by years-old Kepler.

AMD isn't doing anything atm, I don't see what Nvidia has to prove.

heat wave is on the way, cough!!!, I meant to say Fermi 2.0 is on the way.

the 880 is going to be minimum $500, just like every other *80. what i don't understand are the people trying to sell their old titans for more than brand new 780 Tis when 780 Tis are significantly faster. has there ever been a card like the 780 Ti? it's almost as fast as two 770s in some games.

the 880 is going to be minimum $500, just like every other *80. what i don't understand are the people trying to sell their old titans for more than brand new 780 Tis when 780 Tis are significantly faster. has there ever been a card like the 780 Ti? it's almost as fast as two 770s in some games.

Titan still commands a premium because of the 6GB VRAM. 3GB isn't enough for 4K. If NV released a 6GB 780 Ti then there would be no point in getting the Titan, for gaming anyway.

I thought Maxwell was supposed to be 22nm

Based on the most current info/rumors/speculation, Maxwell 1st and 2nd-gen are to stay on 28nm, while a later 3rd-gen Maxwell will be on 20nm sometime early next year.

(although there were also other rumors stating that 2nd gen would be on 20nm later this year, and others that were stating that 20nm simply doesn't provide the performance needed for GPU usage, and then others stating that 20nm was being skipped altogether for 16nm FinFET).

If I were to make a guess on the 800-series price/performance, I'd say the 880 will come in at $499 and outperform the 780, but not the 780ti; and the 870 will be $399 and almost as fast as the 780, and the 870 will be $299 and almost as fast as the 770.

Based on the most current info/rumors/speculation, Maxwell 1st and 2nd-gen are to stay on 28nm, while a later 3rd-gen Maxwell will be on 20nm sometime early next year.

(although there were also other rumors stating that 2nd gen would be on 20nm later this year, and others that were stating that 20nm simply doesn't provide the performance needed for GPU usage, and then others stating that 20nm was being skipped altogether for 16nm FinFET).

If I were to make a guess on the 800-series price/performance, I'd say the 880 will come in at $499 and outperform the 780, but not the 780ti; and the 870 will be $399 and almost as fast as the 780, and the 870 will be $299 and almost as fast as the 770.

I don't buy the 16nm rumors at all. No substance as far as I'm concerned just random speculation because the finish of 20nm/16nm being so close together, which was planned from the START as those nodes were developed together.

Nvidia has said time and time again over the course of the past 4 years that Maxwell was BUILT for 20nm, not 28nm, or 16nm. They're not going to quickly jump on 16nm and wait another 2-4 years for TSMC to catch up again and thus cause them delays going into Volta/Einstein+ generations. Even if the gains from 20nm are just power consumption or something a lot less than desired, they're still going to milk it.

I'd be surprised if we see a 900 Series card before next summer even if it's the full Maxwell with the rest of the lineup being 800 refreshes (600 > 700). The fastest turn around we had in this new 12-18 month cycles we've had for the past 8 years was the 400 > 500 series. With Nvidia you never know anymore.

I will say that I don't believe a 880 = 780 Ti + 20% will happen for under $500. When people speculate lately that it'll be under $500 they mean $499 in marketing speak. Nvidia releasing a top end part for $450, $400, or $350? Haha, what do people think this is 2001?

I don't buy the 16nm rumors at all. No substance as far as I'm concerned just random speculation because the finish of 20nm/16nm being so close together, which was planned from the START as those nodes were developed together.

16nm came around because certain customers didn't want to wait for real 14nm FinFet(2016-2017), so they developed 20nm FinFet, 16nm, to offer half-node power savings compared to 20SOC, 20nm planar.

Titan still commands a premium because of the 6GB VRAM. 3GB isn't enough for 4K. If NV released a 6GB 780 Ti then there would be no point in getting the Titan, for gaming anyway.

what games other than watch dogs need more than 3 gb at 4k? i'm not aware of any.

Back