Smart TVs Are On Pace to Take Over the Entire TV Market

I don't want a smart tv, I have a media center. Yet all the decent tvs usually come with some crappy internet apps that don't work well.

BI Intelligence apparently lacks in intelligence to question whether this is because people*want* the damn things...or are forced by lack of alternative dumb-tvs to just buy them.

Last I had heard while people were buying them...most people were not using the "smart" bits.

People don't want smart tvs so much as smart tvs are the only thing that the stores sell past a certain screen size.

Replacement cycle is shortening because today's TV's simply don't last as long before they *have* to be replaced...

This is especially true for the cheaper/smaller screens people buy the most of. The cheap chinese TVs walmart sells by the truckload usually last about a year before they die, and unless you're buying higher end with top quality panels, you're usually looking at about 2 years before back-lights dim, pixels die, or other shit starts to go wrong...

We live in a disposable world now. Everything is made to wear out and be replaced every few years, and like the good little programed consumer sheep we are... we buy right into it.

People don't want smart tvs so much as smart tvs are the only thing that the stores sell past a certain screen size.

Exactly. It's like saying that vehicle manufacturers are going to be selling a majority of new cars with usb ports. Nobody is demanding them and most people don't even know it is there, but by golly we are putting them on there. My in-laws even asked me to recommend them something to bypass the Netflix app on their new Samsung immediately because of its horrible performance.

last year i got a 30" sony crt tv for free it has an hdmi input and im not giving this baby up till its dead also it weighs about 200lbs. cause the viewing angles in the room are so extreme

I know a lot of people that have a Smart TV, but don't know it. Or they do, and they tried the "Smart apps", but found them too slow and clunky and just start using their Wii or AppleTV or Roku or whatever.

Smart TV with built in Roku would be cool.

I wouldn't use the features. I have a couple consoles connected, a HTPC (which is getting a lot less use lately), and they all have better features.

I prefer TVs that are little more than a monitor, with good specs of course, and as many inputs as possible. Most people probably already have DVD players, etc that have all the same "smart" features anyway.

Replacement cycle is shortening because today's TV's simply don't last as long before they *have* to be replaced...

This is especially true for the cheaper/smaller screens people buy the most of. The cheap chinese TVs walmart sells by the truckload usually last about a year before they die, and unless you're buying higher end with top quality panels, you're usually looking at about 2 years before back-lights dim, pixels die, or other shit starts to go wrong...

We live in a disposable world now. Everything is made to wear out and be replaced every few years, and like the good little programed consumer sheep we are... we buy right into it.

The high quality ones also die too often, and when there is a panel problem, it's not worth getting a replacement panel; with tube TVs, the tube was rarely the problem.

Having a smart TV (2012 model) I can say that it is highly over rated. Something as simple as a Raspberry Pi is better then my Samsung crap applications even such a simple thing as Youtube crashes my TV and reboots ...

The whole idea is that you get something in return but in reality it is rather limited and sluggish and it stores all kinds of personal crap which is something I can do without.

As said already, it's hard to find a halfway decent panel without having apps integrated into the tv. I do use the smart features on my Panny plasma though, that's all it's hooked up to is internet.

Smart TV's are a gimmick that are just being used to spy on users viewing habits, we've heard reports of it already, where a guy wiresharked his network and caught his TV sending data and filenames that were on a USB stick across the net to the manufacturer.

They're all dumb TVs because they aren't plasma.

^^^ this guy, right idea.

Tons of conjecture and assumptions running rampant in this thread!

My TV comes with Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Skype and a few others, but I use all of those on my TV. Press one button (no matter where I'm at with the TV) takes me to the apps, navigate to them and select them. They then auto login and work fine.

However, this process on Samsung BLOOOOOOWWSS. Never again!

It costs $20 (if that) to add a decoding chip and include a bunch of apps. There's absolutely no reason why a tv made today shouldn't have wifi and smart functionality built in.

It's also a great way to avoid innovating on PQ since they can advertise these features instead.

Here here on the "You can't buy a TV over 55" without "smart" apps. The smartest thing they could do with them is give us the ability to permanently DELETE them from the TV. I don't need apps on my TV, I have apps on My 360, PS3, XB1 and HTPC. Point of fact they don't lag AND they get regular updates.

While I'd like to get a good 60" plasma before they all disappear, I have to say I'm still very happy with my 50" Sammy LED Driven DLP. Yes, I did have to find a 10" space to put it on, but the $350 I paid for it (used on CL) was easily the best price to value I've ever spent on a TV.

Best bonus? No Apps.

Yup. Samsung's MO. Very sad that quality and longevity is now impossible to find.

A fridge in my parents' house has been running for like 30+ years. Can you imagine any fridge bought in the last 10 years coming remotely close to that number?

If you have a choice, buy the "dumb" version of the TV that you want and buy a google chromecast (if you have a smartphone or a tablet). I have noticed that the difference in price (if the manufacturer makes a dumb and smart version) is a few hundred (if you're looking at 50+ inch TVs). For the price of the chromecast ($35), you can add a ton of "smart" functionality to your TV (so long as it has HDMI).

last year i got a 30" sony crt tv for free it has an hdmi input and im not giving this baby up till its dead also it weighs about 200lbs. cause the viewing angles in the room are so extreme

200 lbs for a 30" CRT? Put it on a scale and take pics!!!

200 lbs for a 30" CRT? Put it on a scale and take pics!!!

I remember helping my Old Man a couple years ago getting his 35" (maybe?) CRT off its partial in-wall pedestal he had built to support it.

That motherf-er was heavy.

Smart TVs, cloud computing, apps etc are too often just ways for users to me turned into bacteria in a marketing petri dish. I saw Amazon has a new phone that will make it "easier" for users to shop. Amazon should pay people for using such a thing

Back