New Mantle reveiw..

The bottleneck for Intel isn't the cpu so much as it is their shitty gpu's and drivers. Not sure how much Mantle would help in this case????

I have an FX-4100 and a 280x. In Battlefield 4, Mantle boosted my frame-rates from around 90fps to 135fps, a 50% increase.

Intel has only been giving what 10% or so for what they call an upgrade path.. what is the different between first gen i7 and Haswell ? 30%

Now AMD is catching up with software and I feel Intel is tapped out on performance and people will start to buy the cheaper product if the performance is the same as gaming is the beard and butter of there product line.

The only way I would give Mantle away for free is if the data going forward is shared as one of the others like Nvidia/Intel could have a break thru in adding even more to Mantle and keep it to there self.

Intel has only been giving what 10% or so for what they call an upgrade path.. what is the different between first gen i7 and Haswell ? 30%

Now AMD is catching up with software and I feel Intel is tapped out on performance and people will start to buy the cheaper product if the performance is the same as gaming is the beard and butter of there product line.

intel hasn't had to get any faster because they don't have competition. They have been focusing on power efficiency more than performance.

We have been seeing a 10% increase per gen clock for clock. So match that with the higher clock speeds and it's more. Its pretty clear from overclocking results that intel could release higher clocked cpus if needed. Even more so if they switch back to soldering on the IHS .

Intel also has had real 8 core 16 thread cpus in the server market for a couple years now. I'm sure they could bring them to the 2011 socket fairly quickly if needed.

I think that both CPU companies are scared that the other one is going to trump them in the mobile / tablet / smart device market. That's why we're seeing bullshit upgrade paths from both of them.

As far as Mantle goes and Intel buying into it, I don't see why it would be hard to add in a more optimized Intel CPU path and an Intel specific graphics section. If it only gains Intel 10% more performance, that is the equivalent of a whole entire product cycle.

With gaming performance yes, but as it is right now you can get great gaming performance from an AMD CPU with/without mantle. This will help sell their lower end CPU's but AMD needs to be more focused in other markets then just on gaming.

Most of Intels products don't sell based on gaming performance (maybe here they do...).

I been waiting for AMD to offer a better FX cpu as I'm still stuck at x58 but I have added a Xeon X5660 and CX 7950's.. if Intel can make Mantle do what AMD has done with it then I can get another performance boost running Radeon cards if don't don't pull an Nvidia trick and lock out older platforms to force an upgrade.

I was thinking of upgrading to the 4670K and the sales person told me how faster it was over my i7-930 but wanted $500 for cpu/mobo/ram.. so I spent $130 on the X5660 and $119 on the extra 7950..

intel hasn't had to get any faster because they don't have competition. They have been focusing on power efficiency more than performance.

We have been seeing a 10% increase per gen clock for clock. So match that with the higher clock speeds and it's more. Its pretty clear from overclocking results that intel could release higher clocked cpus if needed. Even more so if they switch back to soldering on the IHS .

Intel also has had real 8 core 16 thread cpus in the server market for a couple years now. I'm sure they could bring them to the 2011 socket fairly quickly if needed.

This is rather baffling. You hope Intel will release 8C/18T ? For what purpose ? Intel sells those cpu at premium prices and they will stop doing that and just dump them for pennies on the consumer market because of Mantle ?

Intel will surely not adjust strategy over potential 15 games market.

if Intel can make Mantle do what AMD has done with it

Yeah how does this work out since Mantle is only removing cpu bound bottleneck?

It would mean Intel has no more to offer other then overclocking as those benchmarks showed Mantle did little for Intel cpu/Radeon card under Mantle or it's not coded for Intel cpu's yet as I am sure all beta testing is AMD hardware..

(They have been focusing on power efficiency more than performance)

They been focusing on how to make AMD R&D work on there stuff for years as x64 is AMD .. on die memory control and NB is AMD . on die GPU is AMD .. it's unknown how much Intel pays AMD to use there patents within there current cpu's..

It would mean Intel has no more to offer other then overclocking as those benchmarks showed Mantle did little for Intel cpu/Radeon card under Mantle or it's not coded for Intel cpu's yet as I am sure all beta testing is AMD hardware..

Ehm , NO!
Slower Intel cpu will see benefit from this just not the ones that are high end (at this moment as soon as more gpu data is used then Intel will be benefiting from this as well). There was this guy with a core2duo at 3 ghz and he was getting incredible fps boost (BF4) when using 290 or 290x , (escaped my mind for a second).

Mantle is the low level driver of the videocard it does _not_ "prefer" Intel or AMD cpu.

After going back and looking that the reviews of high end.. I see what your saying and as the cheaper intel parts did benefit from mantle..

This is rather baffling. You hope Intel will release 8C/18T ? For what purpose ?

No I didnt say I hope that at all. I'm just saying that AMD is no threat to Intel right now and has not been for years. If AMD manages to come up with some big advantage intel can smack them right back in line with minimal effort.

They will have an 8core extreme edition out soon regardless btw. http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2014/03/19/intel-sets-sights-on-reinvention-of-desktop-computing?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IntelNewsroom+%28Intel+Newsroom%29

After going back and looking that the reviews of high end.. I see what your saying and as the cheaper intel parts did benefit from mantle..

That's because Mantle is CPU independent, its based on the GCN architecture.

all it proves is AMD cant make good hardware so they have fix it with a software band-aid

In the short to medium term, Mantle may provide owners of GCN-based Radeon cards a performance boost in a very short list of games. That speed-up will be minimal on platforms with fast host processors like Intel's Core i7. But it should be more significant on lower-end CPUs like the FX-4170, A10 APU, or Athlon X4.

tl;dr if you have shit CPU and shit GPU it might help in the 3 games that use it

Or if you have crossfire regardless of your cpu.

or the dozen or so games announced, and potentially a lot more...

More nonsense from the #3 nvidia shill here on [H]

sorry Elios, Prime1 and Unknownone are actually smarter than you....

all it proves is AMD cant make good hardware so they have fix it with a software band-aid

tl;dr if you have shit CPU and shit GPU it might help in the 3 games that use it

This seriously makes no sense and I fail to see why it belongs in this thread.

there cpus are NOT very powerful but heck there cards are actually not to bad at all...aside from the chrome flicker bug with the gpu memory....i really like there cards;)

No I didnt say I hope that at all. I'm just saying that AMD is no threat to Intel right now and has not been for years. If AMD manages to come up with some big advantage intel can smack them right back in line with minimal effort.

They will have an 8core extreme edition out soon regardless btw. http://newsroom.intel.com/community/intel_newsroom/blog/2014/03/19/intel-sets-sights-on-reinvention-of-desktop-computing?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+IntelNewsroom+%28Intel+Newsroom%29

You are seeing it wrong , Intel is no thread to AMD.
Intel basically has slow cores , Intel business is being washed away by ARM and Intel can only focus on X86.
Not adapting when they were playing games on the stock market and screwing over AMD on SSE code in compilers and other practices which they had to pay up for.

AMD has been producing a GPU which in the normal world outperforms an Intel CPU by a huge margin. As a games developer you can choose to stick to X86 code or use the GPU for compute , this is a big problem for Intel since the difference is rather large that it makes little to no sense to start using x86.

Especially since products as PS4 and Xbox1 basically operate on the same level. yes there is still X86 code but the bulk of the processing power comes from the GPU.

The game has changed Intel just does not know it yet.

Back