Google Buying Twitch For $1B?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Is another billion dollar tech deal about to go down?

Earlier this year, Variety and the Wall Street Journal reported that Google was in talks to acquire Twitch, but conceded that the two companies were only just starting negotiations. Now, sources familiar with the deal say an agreement has been reached, though its unclear when the reported acquisition will be officially announced.

I'd watch Twitch more often if players didn't broadcast themselves. Seriously, what the fuck is the point of that? The only thing I should be seeing is the gameplay stream. All of these streaming video sites are the same; they're all populated with attention-seeking freaks.

I'd watch Twitch more often if players didn't broadcast themselves. Seriously, what the fuck is the point of that? The only thing I should be seeing is the gameplay stream. All of these streaming video sites are the same; they're all populated with attention-seeking freaks.

I don't describe them as freaks. What you may not be factoring in is that they try to attract viewers by personalizing their stream.

A vast number of them do it wrong. A camera on your mug is not something I want to stare at, either. But a vast majority of those who are popular (and make money) do show themselves to add immersion and attachment.

Well there's your explanation anyway, but you're right in that a good number are just attention-seeking. AKA "Oh look I am playing Amnesia and I scream at the game."

The attention seeking freaks are the ones that made face cams popular due to their success in bringing in viewers, so if you're wanting to become successful you might as well at least start at the tried and true baseline, of which face cams are now a part of, and then branch out.

Face cams don't annoy me really though, the ones that beg for followers or donations though do annoy me.

There are lots of channels where its only the game... just scroll down more because people don't like them as much.

Ugh, I don't like it. Twitch is the largest game streaming service at the moment and they have things (mostly) figured out. I would rather Google builds up Youtube streaming so it can compete, to push both platforms forward.

Since I am one of those "attention seeking freaks" I'll explain it too you.

I started streaming with zero intention of putting my face on cam. Quite honestly I would of remained anon if given the choice. However I quickly learned that no cam = less impression time new viewers give to a stream. The number of people looking for a "Game only" stream are in the extreme minority. So in order to start gaining followers you either have to be Extraordinarily good at the game or since most of us aren't, entertain people. That entertainment comes in many forms but almost all of it requires a face cam. Sorry to burst your bubble of what you thought it was about.

Now these "camwhores" who put all the focus on their chest? Yea they fall squarely into the category you describe. Fortunately they are few and far between, it is just a shame they give a bad name to the handful of female gamers who are actually quite good and very entertaining without the need to gain followers by wearing low cut shirts and conveniently angled cameras.

Me me me, that's what I see with stuff like this and Twitter. Social breakdown..

Simply cannot fathom how this service even exists, let alone who would pay anything to acquire it.

Seriously, who the hell has a life so dull and boring that watching someone *else* play a video game is considered a form of entertainment?

I thought watching sports was just about as inane as humanity could get, but we just keep lowering the bar further...

Simply cannot fathom how this service even exists, let alone who would pay anything to acquire it.

Seriously, who the hell has a life so dull and boring that watching someone *else* play a video game is considered a form of entertainment?

I thought watching sports was just about as inane as humanity could get, but we just keep lowering the bar further...

I don't understand why anyone likes anything I don't. Stupid world! *shakes fist

Some of these streamers get big donations also, we're talking 5 figures some of them get i honestly don't get it. Then on top of that they have subscriptions for 5 bucks a month so you don't have to watch adverts but theirs other ways around that :), who in their right mind would even give them 5 bucks a month is beyond me and i do agree they are attention whores no doubt.

Twitch could be an interesting place to watch high-level matches in fighting games, but all I ever see are nerds talking to themselves and doing awfully relaxed "speed runs."

I'm watching this League of Legends stream by this girl with huge tits. She isn't even playing a game; she's drawing something in MS Paint. And she's asking for donations for people who want to be a "stream boyfriend."

One billion for this shit? Really?

People enjoy watching skilled people do things in general. It's not some great mystery. Others that aren't that good at a game usually have an attractive personality which brings in viewers.

It's not rocket science.a

I'm watching this League of Legends stream by this girl with huge tits. She isn't even playing a game; she's drawing something in MS Paint. And she's asking for donations for people who want to be a "stream boyfriend."

I hate those types too, but thankfully they are in the minority, most of the people that get a lot of viewers are either A) Very good at the game and/or B) Have a good personality.

There are 10000 streams and it is super easy to identify the whoring chick streams... why did you pick that one to watch?

There are 10000 streams and it is super easy to identify the whoring chick streams... why did you pick that one to watch?

Because isn't it obvious?

The one he refers to is a known cam girl as well, not exactly hard to find her videos. No idea why anyone would bother with her crappy stream after finding said videos. find vids, get to see everything, no need to continue being teased. But apparently too many of my sex are complete and utter morons.

Most of the garbage on television is far less entertaining in my opinion. To each their own.

For anyone who doesn't know how Twitch started, it began with Justin.tv where people could live stream. Justin.tv's gaming section got so big that they decided to break it off and form a separate web site.

Kaceytron. She's trolling the guys in her stream chat. This in turn stirs the emotions of the white knights in her stream chat to donate her hundreds of dollars per hour to cheer her up. It's all a dog and pony show.

I pay to watch a chick with bit tits play a video game. you know you would too.

Kaceytron. She's trolling the guys in her stream chat. This in turn stirs the emotions of the white knights in her stream chat to donate her hundreds of dollars per hour to cheer her up. It's all a dog and pony show.
'
hmm I was pretty sure he was talking about nicole..meh whatever they are all the same.

I pay to watch a chick with bit tits play a video game. you know you would too.

fortunately you don't have to, they do it free. Though feel free to join the thousands of other suckers giving them money.

RIP in peace Twitch, we knew ye well!

So, what are the up-and-coming alternatives to replace the hole that Twitch will leave?

People enjoy watching skilled people do things in general. It's not some great mystery. Others that aren't that good at a game usually have an attractive personality which brings in viewers.

It's not rocket science.a

*Shrug* Still don't get the appeal...

I guess a few of us are doers, and the rest are mindless, passive sheep.

Seriously... Video games are a form of interactive*fucking*entertainment... even if you suck, it's still gotta be more fun to take the minimal effort to twitch your thumbs than staring at screen like a turnip watching someone else play.

Seriously... Video games are a form of interactive*fucking*entertainment... even if you suck, it's still gotta be more fun to take the minimal effort to twitch your thumbs than staring at screen like a turnip watching someone else play.

Same as watching anything else you could be doing. I don't get the appeal of football, but that doesn't make it not popular with certain demographics.

Yo dude get off these forums and go do something.

One one hand, Twitch is worth way more than $1B. On the other hand, if they plan on doing ContentID on Twitch streams, then it will be worth far less, as everyone will flee to competing services.

Leave it to Google to pay a billion dollars for something that no one has ever heard of in the name of collecting more data about the world around them using a computer when they could just, I dunno, go outside and talk to someone about things...though ideally without the dumb face camera thingey.

One one hand, Twitch is worth way more than $1B. On the other hand, if they plan on doing ContentID on Twitch streams, then it will be worth far less, as everyone will flee to competing services.

How is it worth more than a billion?

Leave it to Google to pay a billion dollars for something that no one has ever heard of in the name of collecting more data about the world around them using a computer when they could just, I dunno, go outside and talk to someone about things...though ideally without the dumb face camera thingey.
Not your best troll, twitch is massively popular and very well known.

Wallstreet loves metrics

"Social Network" -ish things or internet services, headcount = good. That's all that matters.

You would change your mind if you saw some of the ones with the few super cute girls.

Not your best troll, twitch is massively popular and very well known.

I'm serious. I've never even heard of it until now and, honestly, I don't really think it's worth even looking around to figure it out. It'll just be another way for Google to data mine junk so whatever.

usualy its the good ones that interact and carry on conversations outside of the game.

a good one to watch would be ducksauce.

Did you fall for the thumbnail click-bait? Otherwise, not sure why you're watching that...

Maybe you stayed in the stream to do some "research" ?

Back