Kickstarter-Funded Game Dev Is The Airbnb Squatter

HardOCP News

[H] News
We saw this story the other day but, aside from it being a squatter story, it wasn't really tech related....until now.

Confronted with an eviction notice, Pashanin reportedly threatened to press charges against condominium owner Cory Tschogl for "blackmail and damages caused by your negligence and malicious misconduct, including $3,800 PID Espresso machine as well as medical bills for my brother's hospital visit after he got sick here drinking unfiltered tap water."

"According to CNN Travel, Pashanin is taking advantage of a California law that protects squatter's rights."

Squatters rights is a thing in California?

The guy is a jerk but its kind of tiresome hearing about all these new internet based services where they take a cut of your money and try to make casuals feel like they can make cash easy doing all sorts of things that are highly regulated. But of course the casuals don't want to pay the taxes, know about the regulations or take any of the risks. Then when something goes wrong they cry about it. Hey apartments have been dealing with this junk for decades.

Kick starter isn't really that much different. The whole reason it seems to good to be true is because it is. the companies like air bnb and kick starter operate in a legal grey area and because of that they aren't going to have any reasonable infrastructure in place to protect you or be able to sort through all the local ordinances and laws in everyone's case.

She is also going about this all wrong. You don't need a $1000 laywer to serve someone an eviction notice. You record all the receipts and any costs incurred while he stays after you officially evict him you then file a lawsuit against him for electricity, water, an any minor scratch or ding in the place. Once the law suits start flying chances are the other guy will realize its not worth it and back down.

"After using Airbnb to negotiate a 30-day stay at a privately owned condominium in Palm Springs, Pashanin and his brother refused to move out afterward, claiming that tenants who occupy a living space for more than 30 consecutive days are automatically granted a month-to-month lease under state law. "

Haha. This guy is awesome. I can't wait to see what scam he pulls next.

"According to CNN Travel, Pashanin is taking advantage of a California law that protects squatter's rights."

Squatters rights is a thing in California?

The law is that if you pay to live somewhere for more than 30 days you are legally a tenant, and the property owner has to go through the process of eviction to remove tenants.

Be careful about letting people live on your property and check local laws, this doesn't just happen in California.

Reason #417 on why the USA would be better off after California drops off into the ocean :cool:

That kind of person is exactly what we don't need in this world. A pure leech. Execution.

He is a parasite :cool:

Andrew Ryan: What is the greatest lie every created? What is the most vicious obscenity ever perpetrated on mankind? Slavery? The Holocaust? Dictatorship? No. It's the tool with which all that wickedness is built: altruism. Whenever anyone wants others to do their work, they call upon their altruism. Never mind your own needs, they say, think of the needs of... of whoever. The state. The poor. Of the army, of the king, of God! The list goes on and on. How many catastrophes were launched with the words "think of yourself"? It's the "king and country" crowd who light the torch of destruction. It is this great inversion, this ancient lie, which has chained humanity to an endless cycle of guilt and failure. My journey to Rapture was my second exodus. In 1919, I fled a country that had traded in despotism for insanity. The Marxist revolution simply traded one lie for another. Instead of one man, the tsar, owning the work of all the people, *all* the people owned the work of all of the people. So, I came to America: where a man could own his own work, where a man could benefit from the brilliance of his own mind, the strength of his own muscles, the *might* of his own will. I had thought I had left the parasites of Moscow behind me. I had thought I had left the Marxist altruists to their collective farms and their five-year plans. But as the German fools threw themselves on Hitler's sword "for the good of the Reich", the Americans drank deeper and deeper of the Bolshevik poison, spoon-fed to them by Roosevelt and his New Dealists. And so, I asked myself: in what country was there a place for men like me - men who refused to say "yes" to the parasites and the doubters, men who believed that work was sacred and property rights inviolate. And then one day, the happy answer came to me, my friends: there was *no* country for people like me! And *that* was the moment I decided... to build one.

So he claims his brother went to the hospital because he "got sick from drinking unfiltered tap water". And that he wants his medical bills paid by the landlady.

If providing your tenants with basic tap water is a crime, then my landlord is the world's worst human rights violator.

.... its kind of tiresome hearing about all these new internet based services where they take a cut of your money and try to make casuals feel like they can make cash easy doing all sorts of things that are highly regulated. But of course the casuals don't want to pay the taxes, know about the regulations or take any of the risks. Then when something goes wrong they cry about it. .

One of the main factors in the creation of "all these new internet based services" is a push-back against the overreaching regulatory practices at so many levels of government and the primary reason for that regulation: revenue through fees and taxes.

If I want to let someone use my property for free, the various levels of government have no say in my business.
Why doesn't that apply if someone is willing to pay me for that same usage?
What business is it of my city/county/state/country?

The same applies to any number of small cottage industries; B&B's, for instance.

There are probably plenty of situations where a regulation was established because of a bad experience (I got sick after I bought a glass of lemonade from little Sally's lemonade stand), but bureaucracies tend to react in an overwhelming fashion, and there are far too many instances where it's nothing more than a money grab.

the fact that people can pull crap like this... pretty sick.

CA isn't the only one that has crazy eviction hoops you have to jump through to get a piece of trash out of your property.

How did crap like this find a foothold in our country? I understand disputes WILL arise, but getting to live rent-free during a disagreement isn't right. if you are having a problem why would you WANT to live there anyway? (oh that's right your are leeching piece of shit who wants a free pass in life)

I don't own any rental properties (yet) but it's not a hard concept to understand, you don't pay the rent, you are gone. Simple. Any other disputes can be solved in the courts while you are NOT there mooching and costing someone else lots of money).

If the property owner knows a few bikers who want to make some money... have them go in and make the guy sorry he decided to pull this stuff. Just make sure it's not traced back to you.

Let's face it -- if you knew after pulling a scam like this the property owner (or random group of people) were going to turn your face inside out, you would pack up your shit and move on to the next sucker) Alas, we live in a country where everyone else has to bear the burden of worthless lazy shits like this.

"Hey you guys want to make $100, just go into this condo and beat the fuck out of this guy"

One of the main factors in the creation of "all these new internet based services" is a push-back against the overreaching regulatory practices at so many levels of government and the primary reason for that regulation: revenue through fees and taxes.

If I want to let someone use my property for free, the various levels of government have no say in my business.
Why doesn't that apply if someone is willing to pay me for that same usage?
What business is it of my city/county/state/country?

The same applies to any number of small cottage industries; B&B's, for instance.

There are probably plenty of situations where a regulation was established because of a bad experience (I got sick after I bought a glass of lemonade from little Sally's lemonade stand), but bureaucracies tend to react in an overwhelming fashion, and there are far too many instances where it's nothing more than a money grab.

No its an attempt to circumvent the laws no different then someone who pays cash under the table so they can under pay employees. You decided to let people rent your place so you could have someone else paying your mortgage and building wealth for you at their expense. In exchange for that you have to abide by all the rules any land lord does. BTW in many places you don't even need to pay the person if a person can prove they were living in a place more than 30 days you become a landlord and they a tenant.

Remember this story?
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/1...-with-squatter-in-my-detroit-house-woman-says

The point is any time you let someone stay in your place you take a risk. Why are we all trying to feel so sorry for the lady you realize she was simply trying to jump into the lucrative market of buying multiple homes and renting them out so someone else pays the mortgage. In the end she owns enough to retire. She just didn't want to take all the negatives that go with the huge positives and quite obviously she didn't do much of any research. Any half wit out there knows you cant just kick people out like a thug by cutting off their water and electricity. But somehow she didn't realize that and made the mistake of making a threat in CA of all places.

The only reason this is big news is because air bnb is involved and everyone wants to talk about them today because its the new face book or google.

No its an attempt to circumvent the laws no different then someone who pays cash under the table so they can under pay employees. You decided to let people rent your place so you could have someone else paying your mortgage and building wealth for you at their expense. In exchange for that you have to abide by all the rules any land lord does. BTW in many places you don't even need to pay the person if a person can prove they were living in a place more than 30 days you become a landlord and they a tenant.

Remember this story?
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/1...-with-squatter-in-my-detroit-house-woman-says

The point is any time you let someone stay in your place you take a risk. Why are we all trying to feel so sorry for the lady you realize she was simply trying to jump into the lucrative market of buying multiple homes and renting them out so someone else pays the mortgage. In the end she owns enough to retire. She just didn't want to take all the negatives that go with the huge positives and quite obviously she didn't do much of any research. Any half wit out there knows you cant just kick people out like a thug by cutting off their water and electricity. But somehow she didn't realize that and made the mistake of making a threat in CA of all places.

The only reason this is big news is because air bnb is involved and everyone wants to talk about them today because its the new face book or google.

Rudy - The law is in place to protect people who can't afford their housing from being kicked out on the street. It isn't in place for someone to be a douchebag. Don't give her a hard time for being a capitalist and earning extra money. Sounds like you're just jealous.

No as business owner I am tired of hearing cry babies who don't want to deal with the realities everyone else knows and don't want to abide by the rules of the game everyone else has to play by. There is a reason apartment rentals have a deposit. She didn't have an appropriate deposit to cover her bases. And she used that as a way to under cut the other renters in the area and win a tenant. So she took a risk and lost. That is how business works. If it looks to good to be true it probably is.

I don't agree that she did anything wrong here. You seem to think that she's at fault. She should pay property taxes as well as income tax on the income earned from the rentals.

How did she not "play by the rules"?

Back