Microsoft Explains Quantum Computing

Anybody else get kind of weirded out by the last sentence? I don't know if I want man having control of the "building blocks of the universe."

What always strikes me as funny about these Quantum primers is how many times we hear the works if & then ....;) IF (*quantum computing can be done*), THEN (*maybe we could one day solve very complex problems*)...;) I find it interesting because under the as-yet-to-be-understood-and-described-principles of quantum computing, if a statement is both true and false at the same time (on and off at the same time), then the statement can never be true--and never false--because it is always both, thus we're forever in a gray area of "maybe"...;) Try getting something done with "maybe"...;) It doesn't work well.

The so-called "quantum realm" appears to contradict the classical world? If so, I think that is only because we don't yet understand the so-called QR well enough to understand why the sum of the quantum particles is never enough to describe the whole...;) We are obviously missing some very key traits of particle physics.

Anybody else get kind of weirded out by the last sentence? I don't know if I want man having control of the "building blocks of the universe."

Controlled fusion I think could be considered a building block of the universe, it is the primary source of energy for life on Earth. Controlling fusion for power production could be the most significant technical discovery in human history.

ya its pretty scary with all the constant bickering and nonsense that happens on this planet.

No man or government cant be trusted with this kinda of power. Human beings are just to juvenile currently.

Maybe in 500 to a 1000 years.

WTF? where's the Microsoft link ?

I only see a google youtube link, which my browser doesnt support, anyone got a real link ?

Just keep in mind you are a collection of atoms attempting to understand other atoms that are around you...

Reality is absurd. Understanding or attempting to understand is really all we can do.

ya its pretty scary with all the constant bickering and nonsense that happens on this planet.

No man or government cant be trusted with this kinda of power. Human beings are just to juvenile currently.

Maybe in 500 to a 1000 years.

It's impossible to mature without a reason to do so. If our civilization is to advance out of the so called juvenile state we are apparently in, that extra responsibility of having that "power" would be what's needed in the first place. With your line of thinking, you'd still have the maturity of a retarded teenager with no responsibilities and nothing to worry about. But no, you're an adult who's actions can not only have a detrimental or positive effect on yourself, but others around you...so you had to mature accordingly.

Quantum mechanics is real, though I'm interested in Bohmian mechanics' pilot wave theory

Ironic, since Microsoft's software/OS only exists on one supercomputer, and part-time at that.
If you want quantum computing, it will most likely be done on Linux or UNIX, maybe a proprietary OS.

Ironic, since Microsoft's software/OS only exists on one supercomputer, and part-time at that.
If you want quantum computing, it will most likely be done on Linux or UNIX, maybe a proprietary OS.

Not really sure how you're coming up with this. The qbit could have an impact on every computing device from a supercomputer to smartphone and could be the biggest revolution in computing since microprocessors.

What always strikes me as funny about these Quantum primers is how many times we hear the works if & then ....;) IF (*quantum computing can be done*), THEN (*maybe we could one day solve very complex problems*)...;) I find it interesting because under the as-yet-to-be-understood-and-described-principles of quantum computing, if a statement is both true and false at the same time (on and off at the same time), then the statement can never be true--and never false--because it is always both, thus we're forever in a gray area of "maybe"...;) Try getting something done with "maybe"...;) It doesn't work well.

The so-called "quantum realm" appears to contradict the classical world? If so, I think that is only because we don't yet understand the so-called QR well enough to understand why the sum of the quantum particles is never enough to describe the whole...;) We are obviously missing some very key traits of particle physics.

Didn't watch video, but have been researching this topic for years!
It works on an algorithm of "more on than off" and "more off than on", to use your terminology.
Believe it or not, it comes in handy when trying to calculate complex routes for navigation. Or when something needs to be "undone". It works in an unusual way. Nothing like our current understanding of computers and software work like.
A quantum computer is a very useful tool. It can undo in a few minutes an encryption that would take the most capable/valuable super computers more than a lifetime to do. The results is within a degree of certainty. But, the parameters are set in order to disregard obviously unacceptable results (outside set spectrum, etc) and to only include likely results. And is very accurate at determining the correct answer based on the calculation given. Almost how GPS satellites return more than one result but disregard fixed positions that do not represent a location in the earth.
In reference to navigational routes, it's very difficult to map a route with multiple destinations (think delivery services, road trips, etc) with time constraints in mind for a typical computer or super computer. Being that a quantum computer can be in multiple states at one time, it simply compares all possible routes to all other possible roots in real-time and selects the best result based on all variables. This takes very little work for the quantum computer because variables are a matter of polarity. And everything is variable.
Say you have 5 stops on a 1300 mile route. With traffic, construction, tolls, speed, etc in mind. The point is there are multiple variables to consider. You would set A variable as traffic. Then construction as B. So on and so forth.
A1 would be the first leg of the trip with traffic.
A2, the second leg with traffic.
Etc, etc
B1 would be the first leg of the trip with construction.
B2, the second leg with construction.
This continues for all variables that the user wants to consider.
The quantum computer will simply rotate polarities until a "desired travel route" between all points are reached depending on the requirement. Time, least tolls, etc.
The point is that it can do all of this in parallel. It doesn't have to "calculate" like a x86 or x64 pc.
If my representation is not accurate or is confusing, I am happy to hear more information and would adjust my explanation accordingly.
Last I heard, Google and DARPA are the only owners of quantum computers. There are likely others now.

It's impossible to mature without a reason to do so. If our civilization is to advance out of the so called juvenile state we are apparently in, that extra responsibility of having that "power" would be what's needed in the first place. With your line of thinking, you'd still have the maturity of a retarded teenager with no responsibilities and nothing to worry about. But no, you're an adult who's actions can not only have a detrimental or positive effect on yourself, but others around you...so you had to mature accordingly.

Very good point but who do you trust to hold power and to not abuse it?

The US government? the Russian's? Iran?

I'm not sure I want the lets toss you in the meat grinder and if you live you will be stronger from it and learn something approach.

Kinda of reminds me of dealing with nukes.

Takeaways:
-Station Q is where you go to use quantum computing. I think you need a train to do a quantum computation though.
-You calculate 1 plus 0 plus 1 plus 0 to do things with computers.
-If you want to do a quantum computation, you have to draw and erase ones and zeros really quickly

ok just kidding, but this video was TOO simple, like first or second grade kind of simple... maybe thats the audience though?

Seriously The only real information someone could take away from this is:

qubits are simultaneously a 1 and a zero, and somehow thats how quantum computing happens.

They might as well have posted that sentence I just wrote. Thanks for wasting 3 minutes to explain that.

FNtastic, thanks for sparking the discussion.

Here is a good video that I found that actually explains some things:
http://youtu.be/g_IaVepNDT4

and it helps if you keep in mind schrodinger's cat.
http://youtu.be/IOYyCHGWJq4

TL; DR
Qubits are super parallel, and can be any state until you need to measure them.
Then they give you a probable outcome.

I'm like sure that Microsoft is the last company that should go around explaining stuff to anyone else. They can't figure out how to make a UI that doesn't upset everyone but Heatlesssun (who should have gone a lot easier on the 's' key and prefers his computers don't have a keyboard so there's no more of that kind of confusion). So really, go away Microsoft. We have a LibreOffice without the ribbon and Linux which has a working Start menu.

FNtastic, thanks for sparking the discussion.

Here is a good video that I found that actually explains some things:
http://youtu.be/g_IaVepNDT4

and it helps if you keep in mind schrodinger's cat.
http://youtu.be/IOYyCHGWJq4

TL; DR
Qubits are super parallel, and can be any state until you need to measure them.
Then they give you a probable outcome.

Kind of scary to think that the best encryption available these days can still be cracked in a matter of moments with a multimillion dollar investment...

That was a horrible explanation.

The other links are nice though.

Back