Steam Controller Redesign?

I think the addition of an analog stick would bridge the gap for the games that it would really make sense for. Some people just prefer it, and in some places it really is the best input (or at least the game was designed with it in mind). By adding it to the controller it can be more easily used with a huge library of existing games without a hack or emulation.

With a controller, I would definitely prefer having that stick for my left thumb to do player movement. I think that the overall design looks to make much more sense than the original. Still can't wait to get my hands on it.

Kinda defeats the purpose if you put a analog stick.
The two touch pads are still there, so this just gives more options. They just replaced the face buttons they placed on the left side in the first revision with a joystick.

Give it another six months and it's going to look exactly like a Dual Shock. Then there will be horrendous backlash from the community and another six months of redesign before it reaches its final incarnation: a Steam branded mouse and keyboard.

Props to valve for continuing to evolve their controller. At least they seem to listen somewhat to the community. I'm pretty sure this isn't the last version of it we'll see.

I kinda think it would have been better with a d-pad. I've got an Xbox controller that works great on PC for games built to use it. I don't need a Steam controller to replace it. What I want this controller for is to play games designed for a mouse and keyboard from the comfort of my couch. I think i'd greatly enjoy playing RTS games on the couch with this. In those games, I think I'd be better served with four extra buttons over an analog stick.

Location of the Analog stick and buttons with consideration to the overall design of the controller, does not look ergonomic. I preferred the original design.

Controllers should have d-pads, which is useful and convenient to use for certain console titles. Everything else on a controller is just plain inferior to mouse and keyboard.

The first was always called Prototype. I'm sure this still is. People remember "Valve time" right? We’ll be lucky if your grandchildren see the final build.

I still don't get why they're bothering with adding so much more junk to the controller. All that really needed to be done was to make the haptic pads act as both joystick and button. If you have your thumb in the center, and move it to the outside, that can act as an analog input, while tapping a direction (or a raised nub on the track pads in each cardinal direction) acts as a button.

With the face buttons and the dpad of the last version, I kinda figured they were going to go that route (analog emulation on the pads), but now with this analog stick, I have no idea what the heck their plan is.

Pandering to the cries of people who never gave the pads a try or even read their detailed description.

I still don't get why they're bothering with adding so much more junk to the controller. All that really needed to be done was to make the haptic pads act as both joystick and button. If you have your thumb in the center, and move it to the outside, that can act as an analog input, while tapping a direction (or a raised nub on the track pads in each cardinal direction) acts as a button.

With the face buttons and the dpad of the last version, I kinda figured they were going to go that route (analog emulation on the pads), but now with this analog stick, I have no idea what the heck their plan is.

Was there ever a dpad on the controller. I just remember 4 buttons on both sides.

Was there ever a dpad on the controller. I just remember 4 buttons on both sides.

When that version came out, the left side was cardinal directions as individual buttons, and the left was face buttons (ABXY). Not a "D-Pad" per say, but pretty much the same thing.

Give it another six months and it's going to look exactly like a Dual Shock. Then there will be horrendous backlash from the community and another six months of redesign before it reaches its final incarnation: a Steam branded mouse and keyboard.

Wrong. Trackpads aren't going anywhere.

Lot of stuff for the small real estate.
I vote for the Steam mouse and keyboard.....combined with the Phantom lapboard.

I also wonder why they are spending so much time on this. Do they think this controller will revolutionize gaming, or is this just part of their R&D department where maybe 1% of things actually make it through to production? I like Valve and wish them the best, but they just seem to come up with a lot of vaporware.

I thought up this suggestion months ago of adding an analog stick rather than a D-pad, glad Valve did it. It makes it compatible with a majority of games and is familiar to use with a majority of gamers. In the variety of games that I've used a D-pad it's pretty slim. If you miss using a D-pad then just use another controller, easy fix. Ok now they need to stay with this design and make it... You can always leave it to Razer or other controller manufacturers to make improvements to it. I think it's where it should be at this moment.

I'm still scratching my head over this Steam controller.

PC gamers prefer mouse+KB. PC gamers are rabid in their defense of mouse+KB as a superior input method. I mean, start a thread about mouse+KB versus Xbox analog stick and it'll turn into a giant flame war.

And now PC gamers are defending....touchpads? I guess it's just the religious-like devotion to the Valve corporation that's driving the hype over this bizarre touchpad contraption.

If this device was created by EA and called the Origin Controller, the Internets would be pointing and laughing.

The two touch pads are still there, so this just gives more options. They just replaced the face buttons they placed on the left side in the first revision with a joystick.

Except it removes it leaves no room for a d-pad which is also important for many games.

PC gamers prefer mouse+KB. PC gamers are rabid in their defense of mouse+KB as a superior input method. I mean, start a thread about mouse+KB versus Xbox analog stick and it'll turn into a giant flame war.

And now PC gamers are defending....touchpads? I guess it's just the religious-like devotion to the Valve corporation that's driving the hype over this bizarre touchpad contraption.

If this device was created by EA and called the Origin Controller, the Internets would be pointing and laughing.

Even PC gamers have found it useful to have a controller in some situations for some games. I have an HTPC with mouse and keyboard as well as 4 xbox 360 controllers. The xbox 360 controllers are inferior in most cases. But in some cases they are a necessary evil. The high hopes for a valve controller come from our recognition of the lack of any thing good in those cases.

I'm pretty sure PC gamers recognize the general superiority of KB+Mouse in most games, but also recognize the usefulness of a traditional controller in some instances. Side scrollers for example are awesome with a d-pad controller but suck (imo) with keyboard + mouse. Old school RPGs ala Final Fantasy 3 also feel much better with a controller.

Anyone who wants to play an FPS on a controller over a KB+Mouse is crazy though.

Stop thinking for yourself and get in line... ;)

I'm pretty sure PC gamers recognize the general superiority of KB+Mouse in most games, but also recognize the usefulness of a traditional controller in some instances. Side scrollers for example are awesome with a d-pad controller but suck (imo) with keyboard + mouse. Old school RPGs ala Final Fantasy 3 also feel much better with a controller.

Anyone who wants to play an FPS on a controller over a KB+Mouse is crazy though.
I understand and agree with you 100%. But...

Why are PC gamers rabidly defending touchpads all of a sudden? And proclaiming it to be "the future"? Is it because it has a Valve logo on it?

Back