A Parachute For Your Drone

That is pretty cool. It can certainly save you on repair costs for when you overestimate your battery life, or have a catastrophic electronics failure..

I have to stop procrastinating and buy myself one of these drones. Fuctastic.

I want one with a laser.

832694-dr-evil.gif

I like it. But being that it is a DJI product, it will cost as much as my copter cost lol.

Given these have been used on model rockets for years why wasn't this just built into every unit from the start.

Given these have been used on model rockets for years why wasn't this just built into every unit from the start.
1) Rockets travel very high, meaning that all you need is the shoot to open on its own which it doesn't matter if it takes a long time. Drones fly lower, so you need an active deployment parachute or it wouldn't fully open before hitting the ground most times.

2) Rotors can get in the way cutting the lines, so you basically have to center it and keep the lines long.

3) The weight penalty means shorter flight times, which already are quite a compromise from fixed wing RC.

People have already experimented with them, almost from the start. It just wasn't worth it at the time. Weight is significant for an aircraft, the complexity of the system means you need to coordinate the ESC, flight controller, barometers, receivers, etc. and that's tough to do when your components are from different manufacturers so you have to setup and coordinate them yourself. The parachute product prior to this, plugs into your receiver, which means you have to set up the flight controller and esc's yourself to NOT shred it on deployment.

BTW, 550g is a freaking ton! I'm guessing they're using steel gas canisters to launch the chute. They're demoing it on an Octo because it's the only one that can carry it (Either that or really really big quads) and still do anything useful, their power systems are already designed for massive power draws anyway, they can handle the extra weight. The potential commercial applications of Octos is what's making them popular these days.

"silently deliver your payload behind enemy lines"

Who have you been talking to, Steve? I have no idea what you are referring to, it wasn't my drone... I wasn't there.

3) The weight penalty means shorter flight times, which already are quite a compromise from fixed wing RC.
This is the one thing that I would be most worried about. Do you sacrifice time? Camera equipment? The one modeled looked like an 8 rotor one, presumably they have more lift than 4 rotor ones.

Back