Stupid Criminal of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know a whole lot about being a criminal mastermind but, if you are going to be an identity thief, it's probably a good idea not to use your real name.

Police say the woman used her own name — Tanya Monique Peel — to set up a business account. Police then linked the name to a woman who lived in Raleigh, N.C., and confirmed it was her from a sultry “selfie” photograph on her Facebook page, Stapler said. Bank surveillance cameras matched the woman who withdrew the $123,000 to the picture on the Facebook page and her driver’s license.

Hot looking chick but not to bright. Now her life is fudged. Hopefully I see her so I could collect the reward money. :)

Taking someone's life savings might land you in a barrel full of acid. Not worth the risk.

silly woman... didn't she know you can clean that cash with bitcoin?

So basically, they got the person's name, cell phone number, and the last for of his social security number.

They then looked up what company the cell phone number was from, and then called them and had the number forwarded to a different number.

The cell phone companies need to start using more than just the last 4 of the SS number to allow changes on a cell phone plan. A passcode or a PIN should be required as well.

To add to that.. banks and such need to do the same. A callback to the number on file is not a surefire way to verify identity.

A PIN or passcode should be required as well.

The cell phone companies need to start using more than just the last 4 of the SS number to allow changes on a cell phone plan. A passcode or a PIN should be required as well.

Why would any company be concerned with securing their customers account or data. That would cost them money and cut into their profits. Currently any losses are either covered by their insurance or chalked up to the cost of doing business and passed along to the customers.

Am I the only one who looked at the picture and immediately assumed she slept with the dude, then raided his file cabinet while he was asleep?

Back