MSI RMA

[L]imey

[H]ard|Gawd
So I had to RMA my 780 Lightning about 2 weeks ago. Black screen, no signal, weird fan happenings when powered on.

So I send it off and it was received Friday the 11th. Last Friday I sent them an email asking for a status update on the RMA, as the online tracker just said "Sales/RMA NG buffer for repair run" which is incredibly non-specific.

Anyway I didn't get a reply until last night, at which point I received a shipping notification. Sweet! But wait, what are they shipping me? I've had no communication, and the online tracker gives me a page 404 error when I try to look up my RMA ticket.

So I looked up the UPS tracking number, and it's in an error status o_O

They shipped my package (on the 15th) to Floston GA, instead of Flagstaff AZ. No idea how they made that mistake. More annoyingly, why am I just getting this tracking notification now, a week later.

So, I got registered with UPS and was able to update the address for them to ship the package back across the country to me (should have had it within a day or 2 from California to Flagstaff, but anyway) No update from UPS on when it might get here.

I'd like to know what is on the way though. I guess I'll give the RMA department a call when they open in an hour, see if they can give me an update on whether they fixed my card, or I'm getting a new one, or they just sent me back the busted card. Lack of communication is frustrating :(

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience, I needed to vent this morning about this comedy of errors.

Happy Hump Day.

Been through the automated system 3 times now, each time it lets me hold for a person for about 7 minutes, then sends me to the "noone wants to talk to you, leave a message" prompt.

This is slightly frustrating :)

Wow, what a story so far. I've never been through their RMA process before, so I can't offer any info on that. Hopefully you get in touch with someone there soon, and they can figure out what's going on. Lack of communication on things like this completely sucks. Good luck man.

Update:

Finally got a hold of someone, who looked it up, and blew me off "yeah, i show we shipped it"

When I asked what "it" was, he wasn't clear on what I meant. I asked specifically "did they repair my card, or did they send me a replacement" Had to put me on hold to go ask again, finally came back "replacement" so hopefully it's a decent chip.

So, on to UPS. I call them, and I asked when I could expect an update to the estimated delivery date, since the website says it doesn't know anything. That person was useless and told me he didn't know, and to just watch the website.

Live chat, this girl was much more helpful, and confirmed that the address update was correct (It was, since I did it) and told me the latest information they have indicates next Monday as the delivery date. I asked if there was any way to expedite it or get it out of the ground network for a quicker delivery, but she said no.

So, something that I should have gotten on the 16th, is now not arriving until the 28th. I grrrrrr at MSI for this. I like the lightning, but I won't consider buying from them again.

Msi's c/s has been slipping lately. Just hope for the best.

Update2:

UPS website still hasn't updated. Re-live-chatted, new girl tells me, "oh no, it's still in Georgia, we'll have someone call you from the customer service center in the next hour"

It took 1 day via usps to get it to them... this is sad :(

I called MSI about doing an RMA on a new card yesterday. I didn't have trouble reaching someone, but they weren't very encouraging. He said I'd get a refurb card back if they could replicate the issue, and it'd take a few weeks between transit and testing.

I RMA'd an MSI 7950 in March - bad fan bearings. I ended up profiting from it, as I got the GPU on sale over at Amazon for $225 (after $20 rebate) and MSI sent me a check for $287.

There was no phone call or chat needed, I simply filled out the online form and it was approved instantly. Turnaround time was...10 business days? I don't quite recall.

I can't really speak to their shipping methods or problems related to shipping. All I know is MSI treated me well, RMA wise.

Update3:

UPS girl calls, tells me because I changed the address online through myups.com, and it was after business hours, noone applied the update to the package, so it's just been sitting there.

She tells me, it should be there tomorrow or monday. Ok, I can handle that.

Look it up online a minute ago after my meeting: Delivery Date Next Wednesday.

What is this... I don't even...

[L]imey;1040977658 said:
So, something that I should have gotten on the 16th, is now not arriving until the 28th. I grrrrrr at MSI for this. I like the lightning, but I won't consider buying from them again.

The other vendors are generally far worse. Look at the horror stories you see about Asus and XFX for example.

Scary, but MSI is generally one of the better regarded vendors. That and their Lightning series is among the top GPUs.

In general, the best customer service comes from EVGA, but their top end GPUs are expensive. MSI I find is also pretty good in general when it comes to RMA, although as your story indicates there are exceptions.

I'm with you, I think the turn around time on this was awesome, and if what I was told (about getting a replacement card) is true, then really my only complaint will be that they sent it 5 states past where it should have gone, and I've been without it for nearly a month, when it should have been 10 days tops. Partly MSI's fault, partly UPS's fault.

I've been through their RMA process before, and it's true they do a poor job of communicating. They sent a card back with no explanation. It was the same card I sent in, so I don't know if they repaired something on it, or never found anything wrong with it. I sold it as a fresh-back-from-RMA unit.

I too miss BFG lol - one of my all time favorite vendors :)

That said - if anyone needs help with something though MSI and you have already talked to them / unsure of where to go from where you currently are - pm me and I will see if I can help you out :)

Back