Looking for a phone plan around $30-$40/month with unlimited everything ideally ...

FM 3370

Gawd
Recently I've been looking to cut my cell phone bill down from $68/month (T-Mobile unlimited minutes/unlimited text/1GB 4G + phone insurance + taxes/fees) to something closer to $30-$40 per month for similar type service, unlimited or higher GB per month would be nice.

I thought the T-Mobile $30 prepaid (100 min/unl. txt/5GB 4G) would be perfect but confirmed Wifi calling uses up minutes on this pre-paid plan so it's useless to me. Is there a phone company in the US that offers what I'm looking for? My friend in the UK somehow got unlimited everything for equivalent of $30/month, shopping around I'm not seeing anything like that.

I have a Blackberry Q10 which is the perfect phone for me. I'm not sure if there is a software that can bypass using phone minutes and use data for calls.

you could try Harbor Mobile. It's $30/month plus taxes/fees on T-mobile's network, same features as your 1GB plan (unlimited everything, data @ 2G after 1GB, int'l benefits like roaming / texting). I don't know whether their business plan will succeed- they are basically reselling T-mobile's $20 business plan, not sure how a consumer would "qualify" or if t-mobile would kick them out

http://slickdeals.net/f/7040504-harbor-mobile-t-mobile-plans-20-line-month-cheaper

Otherwise, look at AIO wireless/Straighttalk... at ~$45/month, they offer unlimited talk/text, full speed data up to 2-3GB, then throttle after... do some research - ST used to cut people off and kick them out if they go over too much/often

Republic Wireless is next best, but it's Sprint's network (if it's good in your area, sure... otherwise, eh)... 5GB limit, throttle after... they dont' say if they'll kick you off if you go over too often

Last resort would be to stick with T-mobile's $30 plan, use VoIP providers like Skype/Vonage to add more "free" minutes... the sound quality /latency isn't that good though

Last edited:
Thanks paperwastage, checked out HarborMobile, looks like I'll need a new SIM card for them. I'll take a look at StraightTalk. I find it interesting that these cell phone carriers never seem to have coupon codes or discounts. Everytime I call T-mobile for something and they as "can I help you with anything else?" ... I say "yeah, I want to lower my bill" then they just give me a list of low data crappy plans.

Either I'm lazy or it just seems frustrating to find a decent plan for the price I'm looking for without jumping through hoops...ex. HarborMobile needed new sim card and they can't port over my current phone number.

I use NET10, basically Tracfone piggybacking on AT&T or T-Mobile networks. It's $45/mo (with auto refill) unlimited talk, text, and data (2.5GB at 4G, then throttled). With my wife on the same account, it's $45 for me and $40 for her per month with auto refill.

I looked into AIO as well (they are now owned by Cricket) and they have the same deal.

Thanks paperwastage, checked out HarborMobile, looks like I'll need a new SIM card for them. I'll take a look at StraightTalk. I find it interesting that these cell phone carriers never seem to have coupon codes or discounts. Everytime I call T-mobile for something and they as "can I help you with anything else?" ... I say "yeah, I want to lower my bill" then they just give me a list of low data crappy plans.

Either I'm lazy or it just seems frustrating to find a decent plan for the price I'm looking for without jumping through hoops...ex. HarborMobile needed new sim card and they can't port over my current phone number.

at least be happy that T-mobile/MNVOs still exists... ATT/Verizon would be happy charging you $60/month/line AND overages

HarborMobile does charge taxes/fees like postpaid, so plan on spending 10-25% more (should be <$40)

Republic Wireless at $25 (3G) or $40 (4G) plan would fit your requirements, if you don't mind Sprint's network (and using only their specific customized phones: Moto X / G)

at least be happy that T-mobile/MNVOs still exists... ATT/Verizon would be happy charging you $60/month/line AND overages

HarborMobile does charge taxes/fees like postpaid, so plan on spending 10-25% more (should be <$40)

Republic Wireless at $25 (3G) or $40 (4G) plan would fit your requirements, if you don't mind Sprint's network (and using only their specific customized phones: Moto X / G)

You really have a good point about my existing service. I've been on a mission to reduce or eliminate some bills (example: cut cable) and found it hard to be as successful in the cell phone arena. I have a Blackberry Q10, love it to death...maybe I'll stick with my current plan and enjoy it, maybe throw in a few bucks more for more data which I keep hitting the 1GB limit.

You really have a good point about my existing service. I've been on a mission to reduce or eliminate some bills (example: cut cable) and found it hard to be as successful in the cell phone arena. I have a Blackberry Q10, love it to death...maybe I'll stick with my current plan and enjoy it, maybe throw in a few bucks more for more data which I keep hitting the 1GB limit.

You say you love your Q10... do you not miss your BB, Call and End buttons?? My friend has one and that is his biggest complaint. He misses those three buttons.

You say you love your Q10... do you not miss your BB, Call and End buttons?? My friend has one and that is his biggest complaint. He misses those three buttons.

At first I really missed the End button because I thought closing the phone "app" would end the call. Now I've gotten used to ending the call on the screen as it was designed as well as using the call "button" which is also on the screen. Funny I kinda forgot what the BB icon button does so don't miss that. I loooooooooooooove the keyboard on the Q10. I'm just one of those crazy Blackberry lovers that loves his keyboard. The BB OS 10 is great, phone is fast and my only real complaint is the lack of support from Viber.

I asked Harbor Mobile:
I currently am enrolled in T-Mobile $30 prepaid and considering switching to you. Will I be able to keep the same T-Mobile telephone number that I have now?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David (Harbor Mobile)
Jul 28 07:46
No porting from tmobile to tmobile.

Last edited:
I currently am on T-mobile but I used Straight Talk for a couple of years. Their $45 plan is ~$50 with taxes, uses ATT or t-mobile's network ( I was on ATT.) You get 2.5GB of "high speed" 3g/HPSA+ and then it throttles down to EDGE until the next billing cycle.

I ended up leaving ST because they were unable to resolve an issue where my wife's phone would randomly send out duplicate text messages. (I.e. she would send a friend a text message once and the friend would receive it 9 times). Swapping out the phone settings, SIM card, and getting a new phone didn't fix it, so I gave up :p

Back